Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2008, 09:11 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
2021 Atlas
Omaha , Nebraska
Wireless Internet Cards

I did a search and most of the information I came up with seemed outdated, so my apologies in advance if this is a repeat of an often discussed topic.
We hope to be spending extensive time on the road and since I still am the owner of my company, want to stay in touch with what's going on. I know there are some who do the work/travel thing and have internet access.
I am interested in a wireless internet access card for my MacBook with the most extensive coverage area. What service are you using, which card and are you using and how is it working for you?
I have been asked where we will be traveling and my answer is..I hope all over the country.
Any help is certainly much appreciated!
Bob
Blevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:15 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
Bob,
I have the same question as you, so I'll be watching this thread closely.
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:17 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Verizon and Sprint have cards and/or usb dongles that give you access to their respective EVDO services. The last time I checked, it was about $50/mo from Verizon.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:21 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Austin , Texas
I don't own one personally, but some Mac friends of mine swear by the "Laptop Connect" cards AT&T offers, as well as the USBConnnect 881 dongle by Sierra Wireless. Nothing but good things I've heard from them.

--SM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blevi View Post
I did a search and most of the information I came up with seemed outdated, so my apologies in advance if this is a repeat of an often discussed topic.
We hope to be spending extensive time on the road and since I still am the owner of my company, want to stay in touch with what's going on. I know there are some who do the work/travel thing and have internet access.
I am interested in a wireless internet access card for my MacBook with the most extensive coverage area. What service are you using, which card and are you using and how is it working for you?
I have been asked where we will be traveling and my answer is..I hope all over the country.
Bob
Stephen Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:27 AM   #5
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Hi Bob!

I've been crisscrossing the US for a number of years.
Previously dissatisfied with Sprint coverage, in January 06 I switched to a Verizon air card. I need reliable service for my work and play.

I have been very satisfied with coverage AND customer service.

Now I spend TOO much time on the net.

I also use a external antenna and Willison amplifier, but seldom need it.

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:30 AM   #6
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I have a Verizon card (I'm using it now as a matter of fact) that I have had just over a year now. So long as you are in a normal coverage area it works well. It is fast enough for most things (I don't watch a lot of video clips). I have a signal booster which helps with reception also. Now, there are times when you are in what they call the "extended network" when you will get voice service but not internet.

If it wasn't for the fact I like to be out in the boonies so much I would be very satisfied with the service, however because I do like the boonies, and need net access for my work I will be looking into satellite internet for next summer. It is supper expensive, but it works everywhere.

For most people, cellular internet will provide adequate coverage I think, it just depends on where you are planning on being.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:36 AM   #7
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Bob
Bob,
I have been using a Verizon card for the past two years. all over the US. Works well. Spped varies depending on signal strength.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:46 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Smith lake , Alabama
I have att, it is supposed to have the most extesive area, that is why got this one. In the East it works fine, out west it is spotty around mountain area's. I'm on a 5 month CC trip right now, not much cell service in most of the NP's out here, i mean any cell service. In the cities it works fine, try looking at the coverage maps for the services you want to check out. My step mom and my wifes mother has verison, i certainly wouldn't get that one, they live in Mass and Florida. They always are losing signal where they live, not sure why they keep it. Hope this helps.
mrchinup1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:48 AM   #9
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Bought a Mac notebook 1.5 yrs ago, have been exclusively on an AT&T Sierra Wireless AirCard 875U since then. No problems in the areas (Texas, metro) we have been in. Easily as fast as the so-so cable connection we used to have in Dallas on a PC.

BSQUARE+and+Sierra+Wireless+Collaborate+to+Reduce+ Development+Time+and+Cost+for+OEMs+Adding+3G+Cellu lar+Capability+to+Embedded+Devices%3c%2fbr%3e

The plug-in unit is not the sturdiest (we have replaced one), nor is it well attached; but once the notebook is set in one place and not moved = zero problems. If we move around (as in the trailer) it may take a few moments to connect. I just kept it at the table I normally used it at.

I have a WILSON Cellular Antenna I used in OTR trucks (and mine); I need to get an adaptor for the AirCard, this should increase range and connect-ivity.

Cell Phone Antennas and Cell Phone Boosters at Wilson Electronics

Cell Phone Antennas and Cell Phone Boosters at Wilson Electronics

I have not tried this while on the move (a RAM notebook mount is in my trucks future); I'd like to use the notebook for a moving map/weather/etc device. If anyone has done similar, I am all ears as to how well it works.

RAM Vehicle Laptop Mounts

Recommended, with reservations.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:48 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Afton , Virginia
On satellite service:
Don't believe all the hype. It doesn't work at all when you are under trees. (ax me how I know) And if bad weather such as a thunderstorm comes along, you are SOL until it passes.
And Hughesnet has a Fair Access Policy which will shut you down if you exceed a certain amount of bandwidth, such as viewing a long vid. It will restrict you for a 24-hour period.
regards
herrgirdner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:52 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Smith lake , Alabama
If Verison is working for Michelle then it can't be that bad. I'm not sure there is anyone on this site that has done as much traveling as her.
mrchinup1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:53 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2021 Atlas
Omaha , Nebraska
Thanks for quick responses so far! I love these forums! I actually checked with Verizon first as they are our vendor at my office for our cell phones. My IT Director has used Sprint as well as Verizon and speaks highly of both....depending on where we're traveling.
I get the feeling from the responses so far that the Verizon users seem to be satisfied. For those of you using Verizon (and maybe it doesn't matter which service vendor) are you using the USB port or a PCMCIA Card? Verizon is recommending the USB UM150 with the 3G (faster downloads).
Old 06-04-2008, 10:15 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i see verizon now offers two plans, is offering a free usb um150 with a 2yr contract.

a i only need it for 4 months i'd like a "no contract" deal.

t-mobile allows bluetooth data transfer from laptops (or so i was told) not fast but will fill most of my needs. i'd have to break a verizon contract or overlap for 5 months.

i met someone that was using ATT via their phone. i think it was similar to t-mobile & cheaper than verizon.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:21 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
Am I correct in thinking that the Verizon plan runs around $50/month?
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:26 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
With taxes and the various other fees that get tacked on your cost for Verizon will likely be closer to 70 bucks a month. Last fall I tried Verizon on a 1 month trial basis. During the 28 days I used the service I had exactly 2 days when I had really good service. Spent 6 days right next door to Charleston, SC and didn't have 2 hours of decent service the entire time I was there. If it won't work next to a city this large just where will it work worth a hoot?
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:33 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2021 Atlas
Omaha , Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU View Post
With taxes and the various other fees that get tacked on your cost for Verizon will likely be closer to 70 bucks a month. Last fall I tried Verizon on a 1 month trial basis. During the 28 days I used the service I had exactly 2 days when I had really good service. Spent 6 days right next door to Charleston, SC and didn't have 2 hours of decent service the entire time I was there. If it won't work next to a city this large just where will it work worth a hoot?
I would agree on the $70 price. I was quoted $55.60 for unlimited service. As we know from dealing with this industry...that price is only the beginning point for calculating all of their other add on charges. And this is a two year contract.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:33 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Enter your location

verizon wireless plans
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:14 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
I have a Sierra Aircard 875 with AT&T service (in a 3G area) and I'm less than satisfied. I signed for two years at around $63/month and so far I've had to buy an external antenna just so that I don't get disconnected quite so often (and I can literally see the cell tower from my lot). The service was great during the initial trial period (when you can cancel without a penalty) and then it went to hell shortly after signing on the dotted line. Lots of other folks have reported that this same thing happened to them.

Come on in sucker ... we see ya comin'
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:48 AM   #19
_

. , .
Quote:
I did a search and most of the information I came up with seemed outdated...
hi bob

really not much has changed in the last few months...

pricing a little, coverage a little but that's about it.

if anything has changed it's the number of folks opting for dish/satellite coverage has slowed,

since cellular broadband just keeps getting better.

start with POST 27 in this thread and read, it's all very current from that point on...

including the links to evdo resources, the cards, amplifiers and plans...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f451...tml#post506564

most of the full timers, high mileage travelers and heavy web users i know are happy with the V card...

and the wilson products for enhanced coverage and reception....

the primary change is usb slot cards are now replacing many of pcmcia and express 34 cards...

my v' contract expired long ago, and i like being month2month now, so i've stayed with the express 34 card...

and they keep on upgrading the software it uses and data speeds.

so IF something better came along i can drop them without any hassle...

still where you plan to go matters and each provider has some weak areas on the map...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:08 PM   #20

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We use Alltel's Axxces with QuickLink Mobile software. We have used it all over the lower 48, and it has worked very well. The only problem that we have run into was in northwestern Maine where the cell equipment is not up to date enough the transceive data packets.

We use one of our cell phones wired to our notebook computer to make the connection. This service costs $25 per month for unlimited use. You must have an Alltel cell phone to use this service.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote