Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2016, 02:21 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Santa Rosa , California
I previously used a Voyager on a 20 ft Flying Cloud, and now using one on a 30 ft Classic. I've had a "one second" loss of signal, which only occured twice over a year of use on the two Airstreams.
phann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:10 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjkq View Post
Go back to post 36, that's where I got it.

I did click on the link to see what the kit looks like. Really wanted to see a picture of how you install the kit. Was interested to see where you located the antenna and how you routed the cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 02:38 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Reply from Mothership

Sent Airstream an email with pertient information of my 2016 FC. This is the reply from AS. "We did not start doing the pre-wire for the back-up cameras until late December 2016. Your unit looks like it was completed on the line late August/ early September and would not have the prewire". So, if I decide on a Back-up camera, I'll have to start from ground zero.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:09 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
It is not too difficult to take power off the 12Vdc power to the USB power plugs inside the rear roof locker. I also added a lighted LED switch on the face of the roof locker so the camera can be turned off when not needed. The LED glows when the power is on and I can see it from the main door to verify I have turned it on. It is a constant parasite power draw from the battery if not switched off when not needed.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:59 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami View Post
Sent Airstream an email with pertient information of my 2016 FC. This is the reply from AS. "We did not start doing the pre-wire for the back-up cameras until late December 2016. Your unit looks like it was completed on the line late August/ early September and would not have the prewire". So, if I decide on a Back-up camera, I'll have to start from ground zero.

I'm not sure what they pre-wire. Do they tap off the clearance light with an on/off switch?

Whatever not pre-wired means - I know when they installed mine they drilled a hole under the center clearance light to mount it and they tapped in to that light's wiring for power to the camera. What this means is my clearance lights must be on for the camera to be on. Since I always drive with my lights on, that was not an issue for me. Fun little side note - when we camp at the ocean - we sometimes use a jumper on the 7-pin connector to fire up the clearance lights and can turn on the camera and its sound to see and hear the ocean inside the trailer. I know that's really stupid wince it's much better to just leave the trailer and sit outside watching the ocean - but the fact that we can do it is just a laugh. 😃
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 12:58 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami View Post
You may have bigger problems, as the mothership does not seem to know what year it is!

[or is the "December 2016" your typo?]

Back To The Future, Wally!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 05:01 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
My Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
You may have bigger problems, as the mothership does not seem to know what year it is!

[or is the "December 2016" your typo?]

Back To The Future, Wally!

It's my typo.. Sorry
Old 03-13-2016, 09:42 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
My Pendleton is coming with the factory rear camera option installed...when it gets here the end of April I'll give a report on how well it functions.

Nice that Airstream's offering the backup camera as a option now.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 12:50 PM   #49
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Tsunami here's the photos. Antenna mount, simply a piece of flat aluminum bar that I used and then the antenna extension wire. One cable tie point you can see and then a couple of cable ties along the run. Nothing real fancy. Works great.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4115.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	258752

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4116.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	258753
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 01:36 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
Several months ago, I ordered for $300 a "Backup Camera System with Trailer Tow Quick Connect Kit" from rearviewsafety.com. I had heard about problems with a wireless camera, particularly in an Airstream, so I got a wired system. Admittedly, I spent several hours installing it, ie, running the wires from the camera, just inside the back window of the trailer, down through the floor, up to the A-frame of the trailer, and then under the truck & up to the monitor, on top of the dash. But what I can say is that when I turn on the monitor (7 in), there's always a solid color image of what's behind the trailer, so far with no fading or interference whatsoever.

I also bought on Amazon for around $25 another camera that I mounted on the back of my truck, between the bottom of the tailgate & the top of the bumper, and whose image includes my trailer ball. I can switch the monitor between the two cameras, and when I have it on the truck's camera, I can back up the truck in one pass & get the trailer ball directly under the trailer's ball hitch.

One of the best $325 investments I've made 'Streamin'.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 05:04 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
O'boy, did some internet searching earlier. JC quoted me $980 installed out the door for the Voyaged Wireless backup I asked for. Today I found the same camera with the 7" monitor online at Camping World for $368.00 free shipping. Called CW in Ft Myers, Fl to see if they would install it if I brought it in as it was not available at there store as its a factory direct ship out. Sure was the answer, about 1 hour labor@ $129 + tax. Under $500 at CW vs $980 at JC.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 05:08 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
You should see if AS would match the price quoted by CW - especially if you're going there for other work. If they can - super. If they can't - super. 😃

Good luck!
Old 03-14-2016, 05:24 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Today I found the same camera with the 7" monitor online at Camping World for $368.00 free shipping.
Joe: Can you send a link to this at CW? I can't seem to find one at that price on their web site.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 05:55 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Sea Level, on my Mac desktop I googled CW, on there site I used the CW search bar top right & typed Voyager Wireless Backup Camera & a list of cameras came up, the one I'm interested in was the first one on top left, it's titled Wireless Quad Camera with Cigaret lighter adaptor....Internet sale price $367.49 with free shipping.
TAC FL-47
Old 03-14-2016, 06:07 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
You should see if AS would match the price quoted by CW - especially if you're going there for other work. If they can - super. If they can't - super. 😃

Good luck!
They are twice the price, I'll get it done at CW as its a very simple install with just two small holes drilled to attach the mounting bracket & tapping into the clearance light on top for power. I expected to pay more at JC but not double! I'll stick to JC for warranty & collision ( God forbid )work.
TAC FL-47
Old 03-14-2016, 06:45 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Sea Level, on my Mac desktop I googled CW, on there site I used the CW search bar top right & typed Voyager Wireless Backup Camera & a list of cameras came up, the one I'm interested in was the first one on top left, it's titled Wireless Quad Camera with Cigaret lighter adaptor....Internet sale price $367.49 with free shipping.
Thanks. The reason I didn't find it is because I was searching on Voyager. This one is by Rear View Systems. Did you notice this note at the bottom?

Note: Aluminum causes interference to the wireless connectivity. If you have an aluminum trailer, it's recommended to go with a wired system like the RVS-770613-213.

This doesn't look like an apples to apples comparison to what JC quoted you.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:16 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
Thanks. The reason I didn't find it is because I was searching on Voyager. This one is by Rear View Systems. Did you notice this note at the bottom?

Note: Aluminum causes interference to the wireless connectivity. If you have an aluminum trailer, it's recommended to go with a wired system like the RVS-770613-213.

This doesn't look like an apples to apples comparison to what JC quoted you.
Yes I did notice that, but it applies to all wireless cameras on aluminum, including the JC installation. I'm using a antenna extension that will bring the signal 10 ft closer to my truck. It's from RVCam.com, it uses a L bracket attaching a external antenna (removing the stock antenna) by attaching a supplied coax to the antenna port & moving the antenna forward. I will attach the new antenna via the L bracket to my AC cover mid trailer & end the aluminum problem. I researched this & it's a very effective cure to signal failure, much better than the expense of running a hard wire system. This kit cost about $30.
TAC FL-47
Old 03-14-2016, 07:51 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Yes I did notice that, but it applies to all wireless cameras on aluminum, including the JC installation. I'm using a antenna extension that will bring the signal 10 ft closer to my truck. It's from RVCam.com, it uses a L bracket attaching a external antenna (removing the stock antenna) by attaching a supplied coax to the antenna port & moving the antenna forward. I will attach the new antenna via the L bracket to my AC cover mid trailer & end the aluminum problem. I researched this & it's a very effective cure to signal failure, much better than the expense of running a hard wire system. This kit cost about $30.
Thanks Joe. That looks like a good plan. I saw the antenna extension kit. I wonder why it specifically mentions being for the Voyager camera? Does the Rear View Systems camera support the same extension kit?
Old 04-16-2016, 04:43 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Back in February I started this thread & said I'd report back when installed. Since then the plan changed & instead of JC doing the job in June I had it done at Camping World in Ft Myers, Fl. It's the very latest Voyager wireless with digital technology & I'm happy to report no distortion or signal loss of any kind while in a campground or on the Interstate, perfect camera & a first class install. BTW, Jackson Center was $980 & Camping World was $667, both out the door.
TAC FL-47
Old 04-16-2016, 04:49 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Congrats! We love ours! Enjoy it!!