Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2004, 07:08 PM   #1

Wintering in A/S

Long story, but am considering a position where I would move to Ohio from Texas for up to a couple of years. Don't want to move up there. Am considering getting an A/S and living in it as opposed to living in hotel or apartment. Am really worried that I could not take the winter and would have to move to an apartment.

Like to hear from someone who has done this and what their feelings are about it.

Thanks
stoshb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 07:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
You might try a search under your topic. A couple of years ago, a couple wintered in Missouri in an AS and much info and experience is contained in the thread they created. I am sorry that I do not remember the specific name, but the winter environment is probably very similar and the discussion may give you some things to consider. Good luck!
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 10:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I think this is the 'Winter Living' thread you're thinking of maxandgeorgia...quite the story! I wonder how it all ended...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 02:02 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoshb
Long story, but am considering a position where I would move to Ohio from Texas for up to a couple of years. Don't want to move up there. Am considering getting an A/S and living in it as opposed to living in hotel or apartment. Am really worried that I could not take the winter and would have to move to an apartment.

Like to hear from someone who has done this and what their feelings are about it.

Thanks
I wintered in Mission, Texas this past winter. Airstreams are a very good conductor of heat or cold. I burned quite a bit of propane despite the mild weather.

I lived for years in northeast Ohio. I do not think I would attempt to live in the Airstream up there after my limited experience. I think you would have to close in the bottom at minimum. Would be very concerned about freezing of water lines in the floor.

Should have asked where in Ohio? It is somewhat milder in southern Ohio.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 04:46 AM   #5
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
you will get to know your propane dealer quite well!

plan on about 10 lbs of propane per day in sub 30's use.

john
Old 07-15-2004, 05:04 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Agree with JohnHD. I spent the winter in N. Central FLORIDA, and used a 30# bottle about every 8 days, where it only got down into the 40s. I kept water heater pilot on all the time, and used the stove every day.

The biggest problem for you will be this, most, if not all campgrounds shut down for the winter around the middle of October. Unless you have a place on private property, you may be out of luck. Had a lot of low temps in the single digits last winter.

If you do have a place to park it, I would suggest having the local propane company set at least a 100 gallon (420#) tank. You will save a lot of hassle, and maybe some money. Shiesters up in Ohio charge up to $26 to refill a 30# bottle.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 09:01 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1975 24' Argosy 24
Burlington , Ontario
Winter a bad deal in an Airstream
I came home from Florida (we used to stay only a month) on Dec 18th. and stopped at Windsor Ont. It was very cold (bitter).
I had the heater on and it cycled every couple of minutes. The moisture dripped from the ceiling and my dog (a sweet little furry girl) slept onder the covers. we were cold, very cold
Do not stay in an Airstream in the cold.

Rae Baker
Burlington,Ont
raebaker06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 06:59 PM   #8

You guys are ruining a great reason to buy an A/S that I am eyeing. Wahs hoping to make this a good excuse to buy it.

Thanks for the input.
stoshb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 10:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master

It's not just AS that are difficult in the winter. Most Rv's are not really designed to be lived in during winter. The wall of all RV's are thin and that don't leave much for insulation of the things to keep the temperture loss minimized. Guess they kind of figured that most people camp and sit under those roll out awnings when the weather is nice.

However, if you did decide to use one during the winter for an extended period of time, then I would wrap all the water pipes with heat tape to help keep them from freezing. I would also skirt the bottom of the trailer to keep as much of the colder air out.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 12:12 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Firth , Nebraska
I must agree that winter in an A/S is both cold and expensive. We spent some weekends up north near the boundry waters. Managed to stay warm to about zero. After - 15 degrees there was no way . The door froze shut one night after it snowed. That was rather interesting, to say the least. Didn't want to lay up against the wall, was real cold. IMHO you would have a hard time keeping the drains and supply lines from freezing. There are rv's designed to handle winter . My brother in law has one. I think it is called an Arctic Fox. As I recall the biggest problem they had with their winter experience was getting snowed in. They are set up in a mobile home park, because the rv park closes for winter. The two parks are side by side and have same owners. It costs them more for rent than compared to the rv park rate and they don't have access to some of the rv park amenities.

FWIW,
Loren
69 Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 06:06 AM   #11
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
If you are going to do this in an airstream, then consider a unit with the extra insulation package such as came with the Limited. Part of the Limited package is that they came equipped with higher value insulation, better tank insulation and with dual pane windows all around. The Limited was first introduced as an Excella Limited in 1981, then in 1982 it was first produced as the stand alone Limited model. In 2001, the Limited became an add on for the Classic and is now the Classic Limited. This then, restricts the years of consideration to the 1981 and newer coaches and pretty much limits you to 30' and 34' trailers as those were the only lengths available in Limited trim. During some of those years the the 31' was variously designated as a 30', 31' and 32'.

While I do know the history of the Limited, I am not positive that all of those years provided the increased insulation as a standard trim item for the Limited. Dual pane windows and extra insulation were also available on other trim lines as a special order, but I haven't seen a great number of them out there on the market with that equipment. I think the Vista View windows on most all units were of the dual pane variety, but again one had to special order them or buy a Limited to have them appear anywhere else on the coach.

Close examination from the outside of the dual pane windows will reveal a groove in the frame. Usually, there will be what appear as small nuggets laying in the groove. This material was put inside the windows to keep moisture from forming, and thus to keep the dual pane windows from fogging. It didn't work very well and many of those windows have since been drilled or bored in order to let outside air into them and thus relieve the fogging. That proceedure of course, pretty much negates the added value of dual panes. If you find a unit with the dual pane windows all around it, then it will likely also have the rest of the insulation package.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 06:20 AM   #12
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoshb
You guys are ruining a great reason to buy an A/S that I am eyeing. Wahs hoping to make this a good excuse to buy it.

Thanks for the input.
If you don't carre about electricity, you could get a small oil-filled space heter, then the trailer furnace woul only need to supplement, and keep the propane bills out of the ozone. I used to have one, they are relatively safe and quiet. If you happen to touch it or tip it over, you won't start a fire. Cost is generally less than what you would pay to get your 30# bottles filled a couple of times.
Terry