RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-21-2020, 10:23 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Winter traveling

Planning a trip from Minneapolis to Phoenix departing first week in January. We need to plan our trip to exit the cold ASAP. The AS will be winterized and plan to de-winterize once temperatures allow. Our goal is to head As far as possible directly south. Google Maps has us heading SW once we reach KC. Have any of you made this trip? If so, (looking for an average guess or recommendation) obviously weather permitting. Do you think we can De-winterize in KC? Or, do we need to go further? Should we add additional miles and head as far south as Dallas then Head west toward El Paso? We could attempt to spend the first night without water. Flush the toilet with Anti-Freeze, wash hands/brush teeth with bottles of water. Looking forward to getting out of here!!! Also...car wash. Once I am out of the salt, I need to make it priority one to clean the AS. Where do you take your AS when on the road? My thought was contact an AS dealer in route??? I will not leave until the weather Is good and interstates are clear!!! I already have Blizzaks on the truck, though not planning on traveling if I need them!!!
s1000pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
Following. Planning a trip from St Louis to S. Texas this winter.
Old 11-21-2020, 12:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Itís too early to know when and where you will be able to dewinterize in January.

Get on the road with bottled water for drinking, and watch the weather the direction you are headed.

When temps look hospitable for dewinterizing, find a campground with full hookups or at least water and an open dump station, stay a night or two, and get it done.

Heading south from Illinois in January...most years...I usually dewinterize in Louisiana.

But, it depends on the year and what the weather is doing.

Maggie
Old 11-21-2020, 01:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
The answer to your question won't be available till the week before you leave. It might be 80 in El Paso in January... or it might be 23. Kansas is obviously waaay more of a crapshoot in regard to weather (could be warm, could be a blizzard!). The ridiculously hobbled mobile version of the forum doesn't show the poster's information (location, rig, etc.), so I'm not sure what your rig is, but that will also make a big difference as to how you might handle the situation (what kind of insulation, how many windows, will your heater take care of the tanks and lines while you drive, etc.).
kidjedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 02:07 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidjedi View Post
The answer to your question won't be available till the week before you leave. It might be 80 in El Paso in January... or it might be 23. Kansas is obviously waaay more of a crapshoot in regard to weather (could be warm, could be a blizzard!). The ridiculously hobbled mobile version of the forum doesn't show the poster's information (location, rig, etc.), so I'm not sure what your rig is, but that will also make a big difference as to how you might handle the situation (what kind of insulation, how many windows, will your heater take care of the tanks and lines while you drive, etc.).
I have a 2020 International 25FB.
s1000pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Wash airstream and TV at any Blue Beacon normally at truck stops. Google for location on your trip. We used them many times. Great service. Hand washing, and if you want hand dried. Or use Allstays to find them and RV parks.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:22 PM   #7
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
The main issue would be the drive itself. But if you live in Minnesota, you know all about driving in ice and snow.

Camping with no running water is a bit of a hassle, but am guessing the RVers who snowmobile and x-c ski up your way manage well. A plug in for overnight is handy. And then running your furnace will use up a fair bit of propane.

Interior condensation can be a bit of an issue. Suggest leaving any really snowy or wet clothing items in your tow vehicle.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote