Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2016, 06:02 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Minnetrista , MN
Winter Camping

I just returned from a 5-day outing with our Flying Cloud. First I had 8" of snow then the temps dropped to -8. I thought it was a good time. This is my YouTube video of my 12 reasons to go winter camping.
https://youtu.be/K0DGyLiaLd8
I hope you like it.
Wesair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:29 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I really enjoyed your video. Thanks.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:53 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
1996 34' Excella
Florida Panhandle , Florida
That was a great video, thanks for the information and entertainment!!
1997 Airstream Excella / 34' ~ The Sane Asylum
Paddledipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 07:19 PM   #4
kds
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Frederickburg , Texas
LOVED your video, thanks for sharing but most of all I love your adventurous spirit! I feel like I just went winter camping!

KDS
kds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 08:43 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
St. Thomas , Ontario
Thanks for that video. I have never thought about winter camping at home, only down south somewhere. Maybe I will try it here in Canada.
with 3.5L EcoBoost
crunch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:00 PM   #6
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Thanks for posting. I love to winter camp. Curious for some details, i.e., were you dry camping, leaving the plumbing winterized? Was there power available to use electric heaters inside or did you use your furnace?

Looked like a blast!
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:50 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Shreveport , Louisiana
We just bought our first Airstream. I was worried about having to drive it home to Louisiana, but you've inspired us! Thanks for posting!
meturtlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 08:45 AM   #8
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Winter Camping In Ontario.

We were winter camping in The Pinery Provincial Park in Ontario last February. The temperature dropped to -25.5 ° C (-13.9 ° F). Pugged into shore power so there was no drain on the battery and the furnace was adequate at night. During the daytime the sunlight helped warm up the trailer. The park has heated restrooms and showers. There are many Provincial Parks that have winter camping (and Yurts) if you don't want to take your trailer.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:40 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Minnetrista , MN
Minnesota shuts off the water and closes the bathrooms in October but some places make sure a few sites are plowed out for camping. Electricity is available and I used a floor heater that ran non stop. The furnace cycled on and off and over three nights I went through 2 thirty lb tanks of propane. Obviously the insulation isn't intended for below zero weather. The snow on the roof melted and I had quite a few icicles on the side of the camper. It can't be too good for it. The pipes were winterized and I'm sure it was too cold to use the plumbing plus there is no place to dump your tanks this time of year. Finally the electric jack moaned and groaned and blew a fuse in the cold. Its good to know that there is an in-line fuse on the jack and it is an uncommon size. I now have some extras. It was a fun trip and I would absolutely go again. I have another video that I'm working on that I hope to post fairly soon. Happy camping!
Old 12-19-2016, 07:34 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Wheatley , Ontario
your video made me chuckle...
however, I won't give up my winter residence in Florida just yet...
lovetokite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 08:26 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Great video! We've late Fall, but no winter camping with the AS, yet. You've inspired me!

How were the roads getting to and from the campground?

Michigan has a similar setup at many SPs. Bathroom/shower facilities close at end of October but one loop remains plowed during winter and vault toilets are open.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:05 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Great video. Thanks for sharing!
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 06:38 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Minnetrista , MN
How were the roads? The roads probably would have been an issue if I didn't wait till they were plowed. Where it snows it always helps to be patient and give them time to be cleared. I'm continually amazed at how nice the AS is to be towed.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:54 AM   #14
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
I'd fight a man all day long before I'd camp in my Airstream in those conditions.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 12:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to Vitaver
Camping in winter

Great video, thank you!

In CO is not as cold but we had nights and days below zero ahead of the official start of winter.

Covered in snow and with icicles as well, not winterized, making full use of shower, sink, toilet etc. AS can handle it. Only addition as a precaution (maybe unnecessary) is a cheap heater (pic attached) so propane last longer, a heating lamp under the rig and a heated hose to get city water. One propane tank is still enough after 4 days, not sure how much longer it will last.

Today wind is on the 25 knots range spiking to 75 (per forecast). Filled the fresh water and gray water tanks to capacity plus black tank to 50% to add weight, don't want to be blown over. Maybe unnecessary but for caution.

Do we tend to underestimate the capacity of our Airstreams to fully function and keep us warm? BTW, home is Florida
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0550.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	333.1 KB
ID:	277165   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0551.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	277166  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0522.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	281.9 KB
ID:	277167   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0521.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	277168  

Vitaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 12:39 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Wink

BTW, this $24 or so cheap ceramic air heater does shut off on tilting. Tested numerous times. Tempted to get the Dyson but can't justify the extra $300 as of yet, working on it...
Old 12-25-2016, 12:41 PM   #17
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Skirting For Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitaver View Post
Today wind is on the 25 knots range spiking to 75 (per forecast). ...
Thanks for the photos. You would notice a huge improvement in comfort and a savings in fuel if you constructed a skirt around the bottom of the Airstream. This would shield the floor from the wind which creates massive heat loss. The floor would be much warmer.

Here is a list of tips that you may find useful. (Some are more for dry camping and may not apply to your full-timing situation.)

1. Tow for at least several hours with the furnace on so that the trailer is already warm when you get to your campsite. The goal is to get everything warm inside - counters, walls, bedding etc., not just warm air as otherwise it takes too long to warm up the thermal mass.
2. Have lots of propane.
3. An electric site is ideal to keep the battery charged as you need 12 v power to run the furnace, fridge etc. If you have 30 amp power you can also run some portable electric heaters. An electric floor mat near the door is great for adding heat and also melting the snow from your boots.
4. Use Reflectix and cut to fit your windows, Fantastic vents etc. for use at night to keep the heat in and reduce drafts. I have considered using indoor shrink film kits, but haven't yet as fitting them around curved windows might be tricky.
5. I have blocked off most of the fridge vents to stop drafts and to allow the fridge to work better at low temperatures. Be sure and keep some venting to the outside for the propane exhaust if using LPG.
6. Cover the water heater hatch from the outside to prevent drafts (as you won't be using it during winter camping.
7. Use disposable cutlery and paper plates to avoid the need for washing dishes.
8. Bring enough drinking water in jugs (or empty jugs if water is available from the camp ground and keep it inside the heated space.
9. We use "Wag Bag" human waste kits. The bags fit inside the toilet bowl and have double zip-lock bags for disposal in garbage cans. I know others who use a plastic bag and cut up diaper.
10. An old fashioned hot water bottle is great for sleeping. Fill with hot water and pre-warm the bed for an hour before bedtime. Re-fill with hot water and they are good for the rest of the night to help keep you warm. Keep it next to your body and the temperature of the water stays at body temperature and if you need to move the bottle to another spot it is still warm all night.
11. Install a Dickinson boat propane fireplace. They add dry heat and ambiance and don't require any 12 volt power (although there is a circulating fan that can be used.)
12. Ventilate. In the winter the cold outside air is dry (even if the relative humidity is high). When you allow your moist inside air out and replace it with the dry outside air it will reduce the inside relative humidity as it warms up.
13. In hanging closets and drawers where you store clothing and linens, use desiccant de-humidifiers like Eva-Dry which absorb moisture and can be re-activated at home by plugging them in. Damp-Rid also works, but is meant to be disposable.
14. Have warm slippers for wearing inside as the floor is usually the coldest spot. As mentioned in # 3, above an electric floor mat can also be used under the dinette too as they only use 90 watts of 110 volt power.
15. Enjoy a fire in the outside fire pit. Make a wind screen with reflective Mylar and it will direct the heat to you.
16. Please don't bring a generator as the sound will destroy the peaceful tranquility associated with winter camping.
17. We are considering having a canvas shop fabricate a skirt to go around the bottom of the trailer that can be fasted on with dome fasteners at the campsite. Stopping the wind from blowing under the trailer will stop a huge amount of radiant heat loss from the floor and make the trailer feel more comfortable.

Remember when you are planning for your outdoors camping adventure (any season) that there is no such thing as bad weather - only bad clothing.
Old 12-25-2016, 02:56 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitaver View Post
. . .
Do we tend to underestimate the capacity of our Airstreams to fully function and keep us warm?
. . .
Probably, yes, but you are pushing the limits of your Airstream's ability to handle extreme cold and strong wind IMO. It will be instructive if you avoid any freeze-ups.

Admirable pioneer spirit though . . .

You realize that the economy of using a portable electric heater carries with it a corresponding downside of allowing your main furnace (and ducted air?) to remain off for longer times, with no-demand-from-thermostat, thereby robbing your remote pipe and tank locations of the heated air they need to ward off the cold?

Good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 03:07 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Hate winter camping. Only do it by accident. The only good part is the hot chocolate. Jim😋
Old 12-26-2016, 08:27 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Thank you for the great advice, I will be using a lot of it. Just to clarify so my 'experiment' helps others.
1. I am not winterizing: I am in full use of the shower, sink, toilet, water heater, fridge, etc.
2. Connected to city water though a heated hose (blue from Camco with the addition of insulating material and gorilla tape around the inlet, see photo).
3. I placed this pace heater at max now. It's thermostat allows to setup fan speed and temp, but I don't think it shuts off when a certain temp is reached. One that does may allow to setup a point bellow that on the AS thermostat, so it will start and blow air into the pipes while saving propane when temp is higher thanks to the space heater/sun.
4. The skirt... I love the idea, what I don't like as much is so much more stuff to carry. The skirt itself must be pretty long (on my 27FC that will be at least 70 feet long) plus enough width to raise on the walls of the RV to reach the domes and bellow to fold on the ground and (through groomers?) be held in place with stakes (also carry 40+ of those). Is there a simples solution?
5. I placed one $10 heat lamp under the carriage close to tanks. Of course with winds, probably not very effective but if it stays in place, the actual irradiated light, independently of heat that would be blown away by the breeze, should still have an effect (I hope).
6 Gray tank filled to 88%, fresh water to 100%, black tank to 25%: all that to add weight because of CAT I hurricane winds forecasted last night. I cleared the area around my ring from anything lose I could find.
7. Taking chances, I know... but what if we found out that we feared (and limited our enjoyment) of our rigs in winter, unnecessarily? I think Churchill said 'I spent half of my life fearing things that never happened', of course he won the war but lost his re-election. . Will keep you updated.
8. Read on this Forum that iit is easier to keep a full tank warm than a half empty one. Makes some sense as water (obviously) comes at above freezing temp, so at least for a while, it ads heat to the rig.

9 With me luck