Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2005, 01:12 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Will outside storage damage my Airstream?

We're a bit new to this and so we're looking at storage options. The inside storage prices seem to be a bit outrageous but the outside storage options seem much more reasonable ...Since we live in a moderate climate (SF bay area), will it damage the Airstream to store it outside?...And if we do store it outside, how do we minimize any possible damage? Thanks for the help....Susan
Lamb & Elk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 01:19 PM   #2
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
We travel in our AS full time ... so you could say that we are storing it outside.

After 1.5 years I can't see any damage to the exterior caused by exposure. Wash and Walbernize it as much as you can stand ... that's about all you can do.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 01:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
I recommend storing it under cover if you can. Even if it's a new one. Minimizes any leaking that could happen over a continual amount of time that may damage something. In your climate a Pole barne with out walls would suffice. We are using this:

http://www.shelterking.com/rv_boat.htm
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 01:49 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

No space...

The problem is that we live in a small house on a smaller lot...so there's really no place to erect storage...
But I guess, in a way, it is like full-timing...sounds like a lot of wax *laugh* and maybe some tire covers?...SEL
Old 07-18-2005, 01:58 PM   #5
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Rivet Airstream = Rolls Royce

Susan,

Treat it just like you would a new Rolls-Royce automoblie or fine varnished yacht.

So it's your call ...

If you decide to store it outside, make the attempt to keep sunlight, temperature and humidity exposures to a minimum on the interior.

I use foil sided plastic air bubble insulation on all my glass to reduce the interior temps. Comes in 24" & 48" wide rolls @ Lowes. Cut to fit on the inside of the glass. Further, WalMart sells something called ??? Air Dry ???. An inexpensive plastic tub with white crystals that takes moisture from the air and collects it in the tub base. It seems to be effective in the Florida summer heat & humidity.

Ideally, you tow-it don't stoe-it!
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 02:08 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
anywhere , Alabama
Damp-Rid

Driftwood,

The product you are referring to is called Damp-Rid. I looked for it at Wal-mart but they didn't have it. The Bed, Bath and Beyond had them in their coat hangers area. We used the hanging type when we spent a week at the Maryland beaches and got some water collected in them. I had the units hanging over the sinks, so in case of a leak, I would not ruin the interior finishes. i also recommend using aluminum foil plates under the "tub" types.
Sonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 02:23 PM   #7
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Cool VOILA! Damp-Rid

Sonia,

That's it! Damp Rid. And you are right. When I dump the ?water? out of the tub and re-load additional white crystals in the top basket, the grass I dump it on dies within minutes and stays dead. I am sure it is some-kind-of-caustic and one needs to excersize great care in disposal of the liquid collected.

I set the tub on the lids and place them on my formica counters or in the galley basin. I use three small ones in the '85 - 25'.

I have also seen this for sale in Home Depot ... both the tubs and the cardboard gallon refills.
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 03:01 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Long term effects

Yepper...I do wish that I could full-time...or at least "major" time...but that's going to have to wait until retirement...
Thanks for the info ...I'll take the steps that you recommended to take care of the inside...and I'll wax and take care of the tires on the outside...
I just wonder though...some of these units from the 60's and 70's must have been outside for years...and they seem to be no less for wear...Susan
Old 07-18-2005, 05:26 PM   #9
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamb & Elk
Thanks for the info ...I'll take the steps that you recommended to take care of the inside...and I'll wax and take care of the tires on the outside...
I just wonder though...some of these units from the 60's and 70's must have been outside for years...and they seem to be no less for wear...Susan
Susan,

When I first bought my 1971 Tradewind, it had been stored outside, near the ocean, of all things. There was considerable corrosion on everything exposed on the outside, including lights, propane fittings etc. I cleaned up all the problem areas, got rid of rust and re-painted all the ugly areas. The trailer was kept in my warehouse for the next year or so, and it stayed in it's freshly restored condition, short of bugs and nicks from towing. Then, I needed space for growing business, and moved the trailer into outside storage. It deteriorated right back to it's former faded selff in the course of 6-8 month. This was not a new trailer, and it already had some failing clear coat etc. to begin with, but nevertheless, it always took me several hours of cleaning and waxing to get it to look proud again. My point is that outside storage is possible, but will take it's toll on a trailer. I realize that money for inside storage may be overkill, but at the least I would look for covered storage, where the trailer sits under a carport type structure. Also, you might find storage where you least expect it, perhaps on a ranch or farm, perhaps in an industrial area, or with a friend that has space and is willing to store it for a few hundred a year. Stay away from car cover type covers, as thay damage the finish from rubbing when it's windy.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:45 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Damp-Rid

The hanging Damp-Rid can be had at Lowes (cleaning section). Box of three for about six bucks.