Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-23-2007, 06:04 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
Sandown , New Hampshire
Wild Duck Campground in Maine?

Ok, i'm looking for a campground for Labor Day Weekend this year and I came across Wild Duck Campground in Scarborough ME on the Audobon Scarborough Marsh, they are an adult only campground, lots of trails, wildlife etc..with some campsites on penisulas.
Has anyone heard good or bad about this place or been? Or can give recommendations to a good campground in that area of Maine for a weekend getaway? I'm one of those that likes to check out the campground ahead of time before booking but i know i won't be up there any time soon but when we do book for the weekend we'll end up scoping out other campgrounds in the area while we are camping. ing
Thanks!
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 06:19 AM   #2
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Good morning Sarah -

I don't think you guys are old enough for and adult RV Campground ! It looks great. I had started a thread a while ago and there is some info from other forum members you may want to check out:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...oneymoon+maine

Keep us posted!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 06:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah
Has anyone heard good or bad about this place or been? Or can give recommendations to a good campground in that area of Maine for a weekend getaway? I'm one of those that likes to check out the campground ahead of time before booking but i know i won't be up there any time soon but when we do book for the weekend we'll end up scoping out other campgrounds in the area while we are camping. ing
Thanks!
Sarah, we have driven past this campground and can attest that it looks nice from the road. I took a quick peek at their website and the place looks wonderful. The location of the campground couldn't be better as you are located in the middle of many choices of things to do. You are located near a tidal marsh which is great for kayaking and bird watching. You aren't far from Old Orchard Beach which offers the beach, ocean, hiking, biking, and great fried seafood shacks! Additionally, Portland, ME and all its wonder and shopping is about five miles away in the other direction. Route One is nearby and offers amusement parks, antique stores and restaurants.

The campground is about 5-8 miles away from our house in Biddeford, ME so I would offer to check it out further for you but they don't open until May.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 06:58 AM   #4
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
OK, how many wonderful looking eateries have we driven by that look great on the outside and then we find the service, decore, food etc. stink. Why don't you just jump the fence and then posy upir report? May is a long way away!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Old 02-23-2007, 07:02 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
Sandown , New Hampshire
Thanks, i can't beleive in the 13 years we've been camping we have never camped in Maine! We have never been to Portland or Old Orchard Beach etc, no particular reason why, so we decided this year to go to Maine. I'm sure you can all relate driving by some shady campgrounds and thinking to youself, thank goodness we didn't stay there or hmm i better mark that as place i don't want to stay at.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:13 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
I'm sure you can all relate driving by some shady campgrounds and thinking to youself, thank goodness we didn't stay there or hmm i better mark that as place i don't want to stay at.
Yes and there are many of those types of campgrounds in Maine -- especially around the beach areas and on Route 1.

Another nice Maine campground that I stayed at is the Red Apple campground in Kennebunkport, Maine. If you like quaint ocean-side towns with lots of antique shops and gourmet restaurants, this is the place to go to.

As a matter of fact, going to the Red Apple campground set off the chain of events which led us to purchasing a home in that area. We fell in love with the area. It seems like you are far away from the hustle and bustle of the world but you are close to everything you need.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:23 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
C'mon guys - you aren't even into the "real Maine" yet! The least you can do is to make it to Camden Hills State Park in Camden, Maine. Then again, if you make it that far, why not visit the 2nd most visited National Park in the U.S. - Acadia National Park, just outside Bar Harbor, Maine? There's too much to this State that just isn't well-represented by our southern coastal environs. Unfortunately, too many people never get further north. I-95, our only Interstate Highway, is a beautiful drive - all the way to New Brunswick, Canada. Once you get North of Augusta the traffic thins out so much you may occasionally find yourself all alone as far as you can see. Of course, if you make it to New Brunswick you might as well enjoy the Bay of Fundy, staying at one of NB's terrific provencial parks. Keep going and you've got a choice of Prince Edward Island, reached by one of the longest open-ocean highway bridges in the world - or Nova Scotia and the Cape Breton Highlands just a little bit more to the East. Oh, I forgot Quebec City, Ontario - one of the "most foreign-like (French)" cities in North America - just a jog off to the West, and then North from around Newport, Maine. That route will take you through our Winter and Summer inland playgrounds where you can enjoy white water rafting or snowmobiling. On the other hand, if you don't get carried away - by continuing North into Newfoundland and running out of time - you might want to swing West on Route 2, on your return through Maine, and head into the White Mountains of New Hampshire. Terrific mountain scenery and camping everywhere.

Seriously folks, why else would a dedicated camper nut leave Florida and choose to settle in Maine? Forget Florida's crime, crowding, failing water supply, heat, hurricanes, and high insurance rates; it's the Maine lifestyle and the fantastic places to visit all around me - most reachable on two tanks of diesel - and many that I can round-trip on one tank! For the record, there is only one - that's right, only "one" shopping Mall north of Portland, Maine (---in Bangor, Maine.) For me, that's another good reason for living here - but it doesn't work for everyone.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 11:58 AM   #8
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
...For the record, there is only one - that's right, only "one" shopping Mall north of Portland, Maine (---in Bangor, Maine.) For me, that's another good reason for living here - but it doesn't work for everyone.
I could've sworn I've been to a mall in Auburn...

But otherwise, yeah, what he said. 'tis truly "the way life should be"...
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 04:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
C'mon guys - you aren't even into the "real Maine" yet!
Many of us from Region One got to see a lot of northern Maine a few years back when the Region One Rally was held in Nova Scotia. On our way home from the R1R, we stayed an extra week at Acadia camping, hiking, biking, etc. It is such a beautiful area. The R1R in two years will be in Nova Scotia again so we all have an opportunity to see Northern Maine!

Old 02-23-2007, 07:09 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Mall in Auburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
I could've sworn I've been to a mall in Auburn...

But otherwise, yeah, what he said. 'tis truly "the way life should be"...
Could be Chuck - but Lewiston-Auburn is well South of Augusta and definitely part of the "other" Maine! We have agents spotted all along an East-West line running through Augusta to make sure no more Mall developers make it across! Wal*Mart busted through before we had reinforcements in place but, like any good Mainer, we're trying our best to ignore them. We support the Ma and Pa stores religiously!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 07:10 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Camden Hills State Park

Cracker, VAJeep and ZoominC6 are headed to Camden this Summer for a five day stay. While we've been to Maine and Acadia, VAJeep has never been and none of us have camped in our Airstreams in Maine. We are so looking forward to this trip. What more can you add? You might PM me if you wish. Thanks and HAPPY TRAILS
Old 02-24-2007, 10:18 AM   #12
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
yep, well...even mall developers need some place to go for vacation!

yukki: you describe "coastal" Maine, more than "northern". gotta go to the NW mountain region for an experience that is entirely different from the "coastal". It ain't on the way to anywhere, though. wish we could do a rally up they-uh sometime, but there aren't alot of campgrounds around...and its a loooonggg drive for most of us.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 05:48 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
Sandown , New Hampshire
Well, we really do want to see northern maine, but need more than 2/3 days to do it, i love pittsburgh nh and the peace and quiet i can only imagine northern maine is pretty similar!
Old 02-26-2007, 06:05 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
yukki: you describe "coastal" Maine, more than "northern"...
Good observation! The reason for that is I simply adore the coast! Given a choice, I would choose the coastal regions over inland anytime.

I would make an exception though if you were hosting a rally in inland Maine.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:12 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Ok, i'm looking for a campground for Labor Day Weekend this year and I came across Wild Duck Campground in Scarborough ME on the Audobon Scarborough Marsh, they are an adult only campground, lots of trails, wildlife etc..with some campsites on penisulas.
Thanks!

Is that the clothing optional campground?
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:47 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

wow Maine sounds like a wonderful place.... wish I could say the same for Maryland... ok I hope the other MD's are not seeing this... or I'm in for it.. oh, WESTERN maryland... that is a nice place to visit...
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 04:46 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
There are many beautiful places in Maine. We have been along the coast starting in Kennybunkport, middle coast Five Islands, up to Tenants Harbor.
Lots to do and there is a wonderful place in Wiscasset to have dinner.

We got our Airstream in July and have been "fixing". Our travels to Maine have been by auto and we stayed in Bed and Breakfast. Now we would like to locate places to stay with our Airstream and experience Maine again.
Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 04:52 PM   #18
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marti
wow Maine sounds like a wonderful place.... wish I could say the same for Maryland... ok I hope the other MD's are not seeing this... or I'm in for it.. oh, WESTERN maryland... that is a nice place to visit...
Oh to be back on the Eastern Shore! Come on, Maryland is great if your are on the Bay. My parents had a farm on the Miles River for 12 years just outside St. Michaels. Wonderful memories of the bay, Oxford, duck hunting and all those crabs!

But as Sarah, we are looking for something coastal in Maine for our Honeymoon. We have camped with tents on hermit Island and been from Bath up to Acadia but now we too are looking for that perfect spot on the rocky coast to camp with our Airstream. I want to wake with the sounds smell and sights of the coastal sunrise!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Old 03-06-2007, 05:00 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to muddy_hollow Send a message via Yahoo to muddy_hollow
err

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
Is that the clothing optional campground?

This isn't related to the smoked butt thingie is it?

muddy_hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:36 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Back to the question at hand...

We stayed at Wild Duck two years ago. Our main reason was to attend a Portland Sea Dogs game. We thought the place was excellent. The owners were very helpful, the place was clean, nice sites and very scenic. Excellent free WiFi. We were at site 24 which was perfect as it had nice "marshy" views. The owners told us that the campground is a favorite among teachers, for whatever that;s worth. The only problem was when my in-laws (fellow Airstreamers) looked up the campground and saw that it was "adult only" they were convinced it was a nudist colony. No such thing.

I will return this year for another Sea Dogs game. Go Sox.
WBCCI 1062, Wash DC Unit
LuvSub is offline   Reply With Quote