Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2019, 06:47 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
Why Don't Campgrounds Prohibit Amplified Music ?

Reading many reviews of campgrounds and in our own camping experiences there are often times when there is one campsite (almost always just one) that disrupts everyone else's camping experience by playing loud music. I am kind of dismayed that in general folks don't get shut down for this obnoxious activity until 10 PM. Since the vast majority of campers are generally quiet and would prefer the same from others, why do campgrounds allow this ? Just don't get it. At worst they would lose one camper, and at best they would gain business when it became known that they do not tolerate amplified music.
SYC2Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
I agree with you 100%. My idea of a nice camping experience is listening to nature not being bombarded by music blaring from a neighboring camp site.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
We all love traveling with our Airstreams. Many of us overnight in RV parks. I think these forums have some etiquette guidelines for how we respect the folks parked very close to us. Loud music is unacceptable. That's why God provide ear buds. Barking doggies is another disturbance that needs to be avoided. Loud parties is yet another. Most RV parks do have a list of rules we should read and abide by.

We Airstreamers just don't behave that way. Maybe that's why so many Airstreamers prefer dry camping in the boondocks where it is very quite.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:35 PM   #4
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Bubbling brooks, birds tweeting, frogs croaking, and ........... but no amplified music, loud voices, or .........

We once stayed at a park where the weekend before, a fireworks display was canceled due to bad weather. Guess what we heard start up just after it got dark.

Quiet is a very nice amenity. Our favorite. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
From my experience it depends on where, when, how, and region of where you stay.
Swedes Point county campground in Madrid Iowa the biggest irritation we had was the 4 pound bag of tomatoes from their garden they put on our door....it didn't fit in the Fridge!!!! Oh, and the crickets were very loud.
It is all location dependent in my experience.
All part of the RV experience. Some I love, Some I think wow I made it through, some I think I should have moved. But all I think of as part of the experience I have had. So I am good with it all.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 03:20 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
The first time.you visit a campground, why not call and ASK about the activities and noise level?" I regularly stay at a place that is normally quiet, but does host a "bike week", has a big Halloween Party and also has a huge invasion of French Canadian campers in late summer. If you call for reservations during any of those periods, you get a vivid description of the activities and noise level. Bike Week is the only one that is so boisterous that it makes a night in a truck stop look good. There is another campground less than 100 miles away that is party city almost every night. Their website, pictures and reviews make that pretty obvious.

When I do find myself next to a neighbor who appears to be clueless - I will approach him/her in a very non-confrontational way. Hi neighbor, I notice you have an amazing sound system. Could I ask you to turn it down, especially after 10 PM. ( I hope you appreciate that I don't practice me bagpipes at 6:30 AM).
Old 06-08-2019, 04:36 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
And yet there are threads on here about installing outside speakers!
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 05:47 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
Someone needs to pass a law that everyone at the campground must agree on one radio station and all play the same music.

On May long weekend we had neighbours on one side playing country and neighbours on the other playing the all 80’s weekend radio show.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 06:36 AM   #9
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
The two loudest campgrounds in the United States - San Diego Metro KOA and Colorado Springs KOA, have no music playing. Just traffic, helicopters, planes, diesel street cleaners, a shooting range and of course the train, sometimes all at the same time. I've learned you just have to pick your campground, or turn up your own stereo and AC units.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 06:57 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrvr View Post
And yet there are threads on here about installing outside speakers!

My first thought exactly.
Did I mention I hate to smell like smoke?

Compromise.

I recall all the threads about generators at Walmart!
Not exactly a national park!.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:38 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Kansas City , Kansas
First world problems...

Taking personal responsibility for your grievances and asking the culprits in a nice manner to lower the volume a tad usually does the trick. Its much better than demanding rules be placed on everyone.
Shermy1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:55 AM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Yesterday morning we had a bird perch on the awning outside the bedroom window and start chirping *very* loudly at about 7AM ... I meant to take it up with the campground management

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:28 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by shermy1987 View Post
first world problems...

Taking personal responsibility for your grievances and asking the culprits in a nice manner to lower the volume a tad usually does the trick. Its much better than demanding rules be placed on everyone.
👏 👏 👏

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:32 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Yeah, I agree...

And there should be a rule against people burning dead animal fat and muscle. That's so gross and inconsiderate.
OR !!!! people that say " at " at the end of a sentence. They shouldn't be allowed to even talk.

Ugh...or the people that drink beer and laugh at jokes that aren't even funny. That's one of my pet peeves.

Oh, and black sox with sandals. Eww. There should be a law against that

Long haired hippies???????? What is this the 60s. I didn't work hard to become a millionaire, and buy an Airstream, for that kind of craziness. Cut your hair!!!!

And I hate it when people have polished their ( not there, I hate bad grammar) trailers, and the sun reflects in my eyes. People should think about other peoples eyes.

Then there are the guys that wear cowboy hats when they have never even been on a horse. Or even worse, guys that wear baseball caps when they are clearly not in good shape, and you can tell that they aren't athletes. Just silly.

How about campers with chairs that don't match their awnings. WHAT ARE THESE PEOPLE THINKING??????? It makes the whole campground look bad.

The worst is when you are stuck between two women whose perfumes clash. WOMEN....THINK ABOUT YOUR ACTIONS!!!!! BTW....blue toenail polish???? It just doesn't look natural. Maybe it's just me.

Also....the darn amateur comedians, who seem to have to make a joke out of everything. Dude....don't quit your day job. I really get annoyed by the guys who get all bent out of shape if someone calls them " Dude" They should just stay home.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:38 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
I’m 63 and I don’t mind loud music.Anything but rap I’m ok with. What’s the old saying? If it’s too loud, your too old! Lol. Just kidding. If I’m asked to turn my music down, I do so.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:43 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
And there should be a rule against people burning dead animal fat and muscle. That's so gross and inconsiderate.
OR !!!! people that say " at " at the end of a sentence. They shouldn't be allowed to even talk.

Ugh...or the people that drink beer and laugh at jokes that aren't even funny. That's one of my pet peeves.

Oh, and black sox with sandals. Eww. There should be a law against that

Long haired hippies???????? What is this the 60s. I didn't work hard to become a millionaire, and buy an Airstream, for that kind of craziness. Cut your hair!!!!

And I hate it when people have polished their ( not there, I hate bad grammar) trailers, and the sun reflects in my eyes. People should think about other peoples eyes.

Then there are the guys that wear cowboy hats when they have never even been on a horse. Or even worse, guys that wear baseball caps when they are clearly not in good shape, and you can tell that they aren't athletes. Just silly.

How about campers with chairs that don't match their awnings. WHAT ARE THESE PEOPLE THINKING??????? It makes the whole campground look bad.

The worst is when you are stuck between two women whose perfumes clash. WOMEN....THINK ABOUT YOUR ACTIONS!!!!! BTW....blue toenail polish???? It just doesn't look natural. Maybe it's just me.

Also....the darn amateur comedians, who seem to have to make a joke out of everything. Dude....don't quit your day job. I really get annoyed by the guys who get all bent out of shape if someone calls them " Dude" They should just stay home.
Didn’t know that Jerry Seinfeld was on the forum😂
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:49 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbashin View Post
I’m 63 and I don’t mind loud music.Anything but rap I’m ok with. What’s the old saying? If it’s too loud, your too old! Lol. Just kidding. If I’m asked to turn my music down, I do so.
Hey I’m older than you. If the neighbor’s playing ZZ Top, I’ll ask ‘em to turn it up😜
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:51 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
In my younger days we were camping in the desert in California and a couple of folks not too far away had music turned up fairly loud. We asked if they would mind turning it down which they did temporarily, but then proceeded to gradually crank it up again. We then took out our handguns and did some impromptu target shooting up against a high bank in the opposite direction. Never heard another peep out of them.

Seriously though perhaps some campgrounds could just be clear about the rules and those that add "absolutely no amplified music" would certainly be appreciated by some of us I would imagine. And yes, for those who prefer no rules at all by all means let them enjoy parks that promote that atmosphere!
Old 06-08-2019, 10:20 AM   #19
CC

1972 27' Overlander
Heinsburg , AB
Just had to chime in. Wouldn't the world be better if we all just had a little respect for each other?
CC
Camper Crazy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 10:25 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
I was just looking at an article about RV camper number one complaint being loud music (among other things). Last line was:

"Bottomline, the first rule of thumb in RVing is showing consideration for your neighbouring campers and RVers. Remember, love thy neighbour starts in the campground."