Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2019, 01:01 PM   #121
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shermy1987 View Post
First world problems...

Taking personal responsibility for your grievances and asking the culprits in a nice manner to lower the volume a tad usually does the trick. Its much better than demanding rules be placed on everyone.

Excellent reply!
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:20 AM   #122
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerscott View Post
In CA State Parks there is a rule “Quiet Hours” 10p to 8a. At 10p all electronics must be turned off. Generators are shut off at 8p, including those on RV’s.
Concerning amplified music; in general it is allowed (Campgrounds and day use areas) only through a portable radio and may not be so loud as to disrupt others.

Advise for anyone visiting a California State Park: if you are being disturbed by anything man made go to the kiosk and explain the situation. That park employee will call a ranger. Unless you see a star shaped badge on their shirt they are not LE and do not have the authority to enforce the rules, only LE rangers can do that.
It is very common for the ranger staff to ‘put the campground to bed’ every night during the summer.
A 'ranger' putting you too 'bed'....🥺

That is the best reason to stay away from the CA St Parks.😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 07-17-2019, 07:57 AM   #123
2 Rivet Member

London , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
I use active ECM to quiet a campground if need be.

A full gallon** on 40 meters usually makes for peace and quiet in the aftermath. And I can be heard around the planet with that—legally.

** that’s Hamspeak for 1.5 Kilowatts PEP of RF energy. Cheap hardware tends to make weird noises and possibly leak smoke if they are the least bit vulnerable.
And if they figure out it's you, just reply 'part 15'...
sirtate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:51 AM   #124
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Why Don't Campgrounds Prohibit Amplified Music ?

For explanation: “Part 15” is the Federal Communications Commission rules that define how unlicensed consumer equipment can respond to interference caused by other licensed services or type-accepted ham radio equipment. The gist is that the consumer hardware does not get to complain about ANY interference from a licensed service.

As a practical matter, it’s best not to interfere with consumer hardware. Pitchforks, torches and angry mobs come to mind. Like I said, if it’s ridiculously loud in a campsite, I’ll politely ask for quiet, or just leave and never return.

Most places I have been are not a problem. Most reasonable folks quiet down around 10 pm or so. I try to be parked before then. We tend to travel until late in the evening and park very quietly so as to not disturb others...don’t even crank stabilizer jacks down because they are so noisy...

But, if I’m on the air, operating within the rules, and consumer hardware is being interfered with, the rules say it’s not my problem. The real fun is the digital modes I usually run do not make it easy to identify me. No voice ID to figure out, and my antennas are stealthy.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 03:13 AM   #125
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Why Don't Campgrounds Prohibit Amplified Music ?

Two years ago we spent several months in the Canadian Maratimes. At one lovely provincial campground, we happened to be parked next to a 34' Grand Design trailer, nice folks with two well behaved preschool age children, no pets onboard but their rig had several external speakers which emitted twangie country music from sunrise to sunset even when they left the campground for several hours. We didn't want to offend our pleasant neighbors so we found another open campsite but soon enough found the mosquitos now more problematic than the country twang emitting from our former neighbors. Maybe loud, obnoxious, country twangie music is truly Canadian bug repellent!
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:16 AM   #126
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I found a new pet peeve last week. We were camping with our WBCCI unit at a state park campground. The campground was acceptably quiet on Wednesday and most of Thursday. Thursday evening hit and it was a constant stream of traffic into the park. What really bugged me was the constant parade of golf carts and vehicles just driving around in circles. Around and around and around they went all weekend..... I felt like we were on a merry go round in constant motion.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:23 AM   #127
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
A 'ranger' putting you too 'bed'....🥺

That is the best reason to stay away from the CA St Parks.[emoji23]

Bob

[emoji631]

Well - if they tuck you in and leave a mint on your pillow - I could get behind that. [emoji23]
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote