Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2015, 08:31 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Why do you camp?

I find myself wondering if technical aspects about hitches, tires, etc. - which all have their place - sometimes cloud the "why" behind having our Airstreams in the first place.

So this thread is to learn more from each other about the "why" behind the purchase.

Why do you camp?
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 08:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Beats going to jail.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 08:56 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
It's the only way to see America first hand and sleep in your own bed every night.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
To get out of the city and visit places I've never been and even to places I have been.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
It's a reasonable question, but I find it hard to put the answer into words- I love camping in our Airstream but it's the last thing I would expect my partner to enjoy, yet he does. The minute I pull the fully loaded and hitched trailer out of the driveway, I feel so relaxed. We seem to relax wherever we are camping, a book, music, good food and our comfy beds. We also meet a lot of people who are curious about the trailer, which is fun for us and neat to see their interest. I just spent 3 weeks in ours, commuting and taking an intense summer course, spending late nights writing in the trailer, and I found it to be perfectly comfortable. It's an escape pod.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I am a wonderer, so I love to travel. I have to sleep some place. I prefer camping over a motel for numerous reasons. Camping is cheaper than a motel. I am staying in my own bed whether it is the Airstream or a tent. It is always an adventure. It is usually more convenient like when going to a music festival where there is on site camping. I enjoy the change from staying at home where I have everything. I enjoy the challenge of camping without hook ups. Much easier to take our two dogs with us. Hard to have a good campfire or enjoy a good sunset in a motel. You meet some nice and interesting people camping. It is fun to check out your neighbors camping gear, Trailer or tent.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
It's the only way to see America first hand and sleep in your own bed every night.

Brian

Hi, Brian pretty much said it. We bought a travel trailer to travel and that is exactly what we are doing right now. I like having my little house on wheels that is only used by me, my wife, and our little dog.

[our own bedroom, bathroom, living room, and kitchen]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Both of us still work full time and while we do not take the long-all-over-the-US trips that a lot of you do we like to get away for short 3-4 day weekends just to unwind and not have the normal day to day responsibilities we both have. We started with a popup camper and after one 4 day rainy weekend it was decided that we needed something nice so the next time we have this type of issue we are as comfortable inside as we are outside so an Airstream was the easy and only choice.

We recently went camping and spent most of the time inside of the Airstream relaxing - mainly because it was so hot and humid. So I guess the answer to your question is because we both can relax when we are camping.

AND - it beats going to jail LOL

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:03 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
I Airstream because it has given me my wife back, as it has been wonderful rehabilitation both physically and mentally for her. This year is her 16th year of recovery from her stroke.

Regards,
Reganzo
Reganzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:40 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
Camping helps me reprioratize what is important in my life and also showed me I can live with a lot less things and still be happy..happier...(maybe someone can rotate my picture hehe)
LilNomad
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140908_120655(1).jpg
Views:	159
Size:	531.5 KB
ID:	246104  
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:00 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
We "camp" to give us a break from everyday life. Which as working folks, can get a bit repetitive to say the least. While were camping the routine is lost. It gives us hope that some day, when were done working, everyday can/will be like this! We love going places unfamiliar, places that without our Airstream we'd NEVER see! BEST decision ever!!!

Fulltime in 2013 and LOVING it !!
truxpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:12 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
I don't want my kids to grow up thinking its normal to play video games, watch TV, and play with electronic gadgets all the time. That's not living, it's a substitute.

Dan

"The wilderness holds answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask."

- Nancy Newhall
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:36 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Same for us as a few folks here. We work long hard hours and we live in the city. We do not yet have the opportunity to travel for long periods, but we wanted a way to get out of town for a few days at a time and just relax in peace and quiet hopefully in the woods or near some water. But mostly just out of the city! We've lived in big, loud, busy cities for too many years and needed an escape.
Someday we hope to take longer adventures much further away to far more beautiful places. And in the meantime there's always football tailgating to be done with a trailer too!
Hogfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:48 PM   #14
Storm Master

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Smile

We camp/rv because there is so much to see and explore in this great country. While the kids were growing up we car traveled and flew all over the western US and BC for summer vacations. Passed by so many places that we wanted to explore but were too far from hotels, cabins or lodges. So nowadays we are filling in the gaps from our earlier travels to explore those places with the Airstream. The kids are grown and don't have much time to travel but have learned that they can fly in to a major city close by to hook up with us for a few days. (Guess who gets to pay for that?) Towing is not stressful with the Airstream, and can fit in most places with no trouble. Also, being able to sleep in your own bed is worth it in my opinion. We actually eat healthier too because we carry all our own grub and are not at the mercy of whatever is open or available like we use to with earlier travels. We love to travel and having a travel trailer allows us so much more freedom to choose where we can go and stay.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:57 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Why breathe air?
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 02:56 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLNomad View Post
Camping helps me reprioratize what is important in my life and also showed me I can live with a lot less things and still be happy..happier...(maybe someone can rotate my picture hehe)
LilNomad

Hi,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aaaa.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	246105  
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:38 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
I camp....therefore, I am
Old 08-23-2015, 06:42 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
sequim , Washington
tough question with so many nuances. we have camped as a family forever. and before that, my wife and her family have camped together not only in the US but all over Europe. so it is sort of something we have always done. from tents to PU campers and various other trailers, we now have our wonderful AS.

in this time frame, it is simply relaxing to go someplace, does not have to be far away or exotic, and spend time together in the simplicity of the AS. and yes, having your own bed, shower and toilet make the experience that much easier.

cribbage each evening with a single malt is the schedule and just enjoying walking about and seeing the sights, sometime quite simple and not exotic, make our experiences worth doing. we are not the type of travelers who need to go for weeks or months. we will often hitch up and drive an hour to a favorite place and just hang out for a couple of days. life in the AS just seems much simpler without a bunch of trappings and stuff to stumble over.
reelfastgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:45 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Quality time with grandchildren. Chance to be with my kids and their spouses when all are not busy with work. Get away from the noisy city.
mimiandrews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:52 AM   #20
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Why do you camp?

It's my retirement hobby. While I was working for a living, I knew too many people who retired and had no idea what to do with their lives and so they wasted away inside and died far too early. Or worse, they got bored enough that they went back to work at a job they hated, just to have something to do.

As a retirement hobby, camping is hard to beat. I can do as much of it or as little of it as my mood dictates. I can attend rallies or go solo depending on whether I'm feeling sociable or not. Since I never have to go back to anyplace I've been before unless I really want to, it never gets boring— always new places to go, new things to see, new people to meet.

And even in the downtime between camping trips, a lot of that time is spent planning where to go camping next.