Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-14-2017, 02:45 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Palm Beach Gardens , Florida
I do the towing. Pam is my navigator. I do everything outside and she does inside. When we are ready to leave we check each other's work. Usually, I've forgotten something. 😃
John Geisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:13 PM   #42
Retired paddler

1993 29' Excella
Brighton , Ontario
[QUOTE=gecko;1912011]

Because I've been towing trailers since I learned to drive, when backing up....she drives!

Sort of the same thing here, although I do most of the driving and am comfortable with backing the rig into tight spaces. A few years of driving 18 wheelers helped but this travel trailer thing is a whole different kettle of fish. She's totally comfortable driving down the road.
When she backs up I scope out the site for her and then signal her with hand signals. The only signals I give her are which way to turn the steering wheel and how much and of course when to stop. She's comfortable doing that since she trusts me up front, and I'm comfortable since I know she'll do exactly what I need her to do. Works well for us, especially in tight situations. That's not to say I haven't put a ding in the top rear curved panel backing into a tree branch but that's on me. If necessary she'll back it up on her own but it'll take slightly longer.
But, then again, you shouldn't be in a rush anyway. IMHO
4mer Paddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:15 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Like so many, I did all the driving. She tried to help with spotting while backing up and at least I didn't back into any trees but there were times..... Now that I'm solo I realize just how much she contributed from the passenger seat!
I always thought I should at least teach her to pull going forward in case something happened to me on the road...cell phones and emergency services not-with-standing...something for you couples to think about.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:22 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
Wife takes care of inside I do not have to worry as she never misses what is to do for travel, except brings enough food for 10 people. I do outside such as driving set up etc. Some times she will watch when I'm backing into hard spot but not always as my experience driving towing, trucks, farm mach. etc. covers 78 yrs. w/ lic. and a few before lic. I do not trust her driving with AS or no trailer. She drives like my mother did. I would not even get in car with her, some times wife has to drive w/out trailer when I'm sleepy or she is designated driver when I have one drink but never more than 1, plus navigating no way all she does is get us lost. I will say that in emerg. I think she could do job with AS as she hauled horses in 2 horse trailer many miles, backing etc. some places very tight with never a prob. and it was short wheel base as 31 ft AS much easier to manuver than shorty. Also long wheel base 4 door long bed pu that is hard to do w/shorty trailer.
I also spotted semi trailers with old international semi tractor no power steering putting inside factory for loading with close clearances both sides no extra room in lot.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:26 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1971 27' Overlander
1973 31' Sovereign
Griffin , Georgia
My husband isn't a camper... he stays home while I go exploring on new adventures So.... I do all the driving
When I get to the campground ⛺️ I can park my airstream, but welcome any assistance from experienced folks. Someone is usually there to back in for me...
I've decided that thinking backwards is a "male" talent... lol
paddle whisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:28 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWDCW View Post
Like so many, I did all the driving. She tried to help with spotting while backing up and at least I didn't back into any trees but there were times..... Now that I'm solo I realize just how much she contributed from the passenger seat!
I always thought I should at least teach her to pull going forward in case something happened to me on the road...cell phones and emergency services not-with-standing...something for you couples to think about.
JCW
I have known more than one couple who carried walkie-talkies for communications while parking.

As for both parties knowing how to do the basics, I personally feel this is critical as my husband died unexpectedly 900 miles from home.

There is a service many pay for which will get the spouse, the body, the rig and tow vehicle, etc., home from any location, but you simply never know where something like this could occur, or if it was behind the wheel or while on any road would it be faster to just drive the stricken person directly to medical care than wait for an ambulance.

You just never know...

Maggie
Old 02-14-2017, 03:29 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
2016 27' International
Saint Paul , Minnesota
We share the driving but husband drives more than I do. He does the backing in at campground. I have yet to learn how to hitch or unhitch. I usually get everything ready on the inside while he gets us ready for the road.
tooleshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:57 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
Mostly me. I can get mi esposa and/or my daughter (17) to take over for a couple of hours at a time on the open road, but they don't like city traffic or backing. They both do well once they're behind the wheel.

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:59 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I have known more than one couple who carried walkie-talkies for communications while parking.

As for both parties knowing how to do the basics, I personally feel this is critical as my husband died unexpectedly 900 miles from home.

There is a service many pay for which will get the spouse, the body, the rig and tow vehicle, etc., home from any location, but you simply never know where something like this could occur, or if it was behind the wheel or while on any road would it be faster to just drive the stricken person directly to medical care than wait for an ambulance.

You just never know...

Maggie

So sorry!
Old 02-14-2017, 04:04 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Ahemm. I drive always. If we are both in the vehicle, towing or not, I drive. The subject has come up about "sharing" but her response is and has been "Well it was your idea to buy this thing, or to go to this place, so you drive" Ahh revenge is best served up cold. lol

Well.... this is a half-truth. She doesn't like to drive "big" trucks. Now my Tundra is no way a big truck, but compared to what she is used to driving it's huge. Add to that 30 feet of trailer which weighs more than the truck the idea becomes terrifying to her. No she won't even try. So.... we have a division of labor to keep the peace. I hitch-up, drive, back-up, set-up, the outside, then she does the inside. The wife is not an outdoorsy person. Hates bugs, hates being uncomfortable. That's just the way it is. So be it.
zapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 04:06 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, but I really wasn't seeking sympathy....just sharing the reality that could hit any of us at any time.

Regardless of whether one chooses to do the driving, both parties should know all the basics and practice them on occasion...you might need to drive down a mountain from where there is no cell signal, or up out of a valley for the same reason.

There isn't always someone around to help in an emergency, nor is there always cell signal, and you should be able to do what you need to if necessary.

You might save your partners life, or your own.

Maggie
Old 02-14-2017, 04:09 PM   #52
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Thanks, but I really wasn't seeking sympathy....just sharing the reality that could hit any of us at any time.

Regardless of whether one chooses to do the driving, both parties should know all the basics and practice them on occasion...you might need to drive down a mountain from where there is no cell signal, or up out of a valley for the same reason.

There isn't always someone around to help in an emergency, nor is there always cell signal, and you should be able to do what you need to if necessary.

You might save your partners life, or your own.

Maggie

Maggie,

I knew you weren't looking for sympathy. I have seen a lot of your responses having no idea of your circumstances. I guess I just felt a sense of community and wanted to express my sympathy. Stay well.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:31 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I'm just to darned selfish. I LOVE to tow the trailer and while DW is probably better at it than I am, I just can't get enough. I'm a selfish tow hog. She doesn't do the hitching or any of the outside stuff so we should probably start there. Or I should just stop being so selfish....
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 04:33 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Argyle , Texas
My husband has Macular Degeneration. Therefore I drive, towing a 28 ft AS with a 1 ton GMC, dually, pickup. The thing I miss most, with my driving, is not having someone moni-toring the road maps, etc., which was always my job in earlier traveling. I hate the voice on the GPS and usually have our route pretty well written out before we begin each day, but it would be nice to have that second set of eyes.
Betty Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 04:45 PM   #55
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Naples , Florida
Who Drives the Airstream in Tow

Welllll now. That the question is even posed is in itself interesting. But I won't get into THAT. I do it all: driving, backing up, hitching and unhitching, trouble-shooting, repairs (okay, I hire some out), and...drum roll...today my storage alley was blocked so I had to back the AS up around a blind-side right-hand building turn. Nailed it. So yes, I admit that this woman is feeling confident.
Sometimes, my husband comes along for the fun, but mostly I tow coast to coast by myself...oh wait: my studio dog comes along, too.
Barretta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 05:47 PM   #56
3 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
Bowdon , Georgia
I do 99.9%. Hubby tows the boat or sleeps when traveling. Much of the time he doesn't even camp with me so I travel alone and meet friends or bring some with me. I do all the outside stuff....he is the inside TV watching guy. But it is my Bambi and maybe I am a little possessive.😀

Bonnie
WBCCI# 13031
LittleLucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 05:55 PM   #57
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
I do. We keep talking about how she needs to learn to tow, but we just have not done it.

Larry
So you have the same thing huh? I thought i was just me.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:38 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Fresno , California
At ages 63 and 64, I have felt the need to put mw lovely wife behind the wheel just to make sure she can handle the task. One never knows what may arise that could require her to drive and I would never want to throw her in without previous experience. With that said, I am a driver and have been all my working years. This makes giving up the wheel veey difficult but I know it must be done. She is the best at all she dies so I am confident she will ruse to the occasion when called upon...I am blessed.
ldireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 10:44 PM   #59
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Newport , Arkansas
yep, another girl here who does the airstream driving, cleaning , repairing, cooking, hitching, tank filling, dumping, planning, packing , navigating, etc.... just like home! but I like it that way... it's MINE and I'm pretty good at it! However, I don't enjoy backing up. ... whole nother story ... I tend to scrape things😬. I can usually talk DH into doing that 😅
eggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:18 AM   #60
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
Just curious who does the driving when towing...him or her or both?

What about backing or parking?

I'm the driver in our family...DW drives from the passenger seat! And does a very good job too!
I have the joy of running solo, there is something to be said about making all the decisions good or bad.
Bev1940 is offline   Reply With Quote