Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2002, 08:10 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Ann Arbor
Post which vcr/dvd

My A/S ('77 Sovereign) came fully outfitted, including a 13" tv (that only gets NBC via the antenna!). I want to get either a tv/vcr to replace it, or a vcr/dvd player to add. I understand, however, that these machines are sensitive to vibration, which is just unavoidable with the state of America's roads. I'm also not very knowledgeable about electronic gadgets. Could somebody please help me out with suggestions for brands to buy/avoid, ways to dampen vibration, other considerations?
Thanks!
Eugenie
maznblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 08:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
VHS is dead. In 2 years you won't be able to rent tapes for them. Some Rental stores have quit carrying them. Unless you have a large collection I would go with DVD. You can carry your entire movie collection around in a CD/DVD binder. Since you won't be recording (receiving NBC only) I would go with a 9" - 13" DVD/TV AC/DC combo. DVD/Combo

You could also just get one of the 50-100 dollar DVD players at Wal-Mart and use your existing 13", if it has the right I/O jacks on the back.

I have 2 DVD home units and 1 of the 7" compact DVD players for when I travel on business. I just toss it in my suitcase.

I would not worry to much about the vibration issue. Have you watched the UPS/FedEx guy lately. Just tosses the stuff around without a care.

I am wiring my Globetrotter for the small LCD displays. Going to put 2 of them in. Going to put one of the new DVD/TV/AMFM head tuners available for SUV's/Van's.

-BobbyWright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 09:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
combo

'We've used a 9" TOSHIBA TV/DVD combo for the past year. It's one of those AC/DC power units. Abit pricey but, WORKS EXCELLENT~!

We got the TV/DVD at "Best Buy"...they had the best selections..

Never once notice a problem with vibration..Don't even think you have to worry abt that with DVD players...It can be stowed away while traveling real nice~!! Fits our console area just perfect.~
PRICE CHECK @ Best Buy was 311$ this afternoon..The other price on Costco is much better..lol
ciao
Attached Images

53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 11:03 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
which vcr/dvd

Greetings Eugenie!

I chose to go the route of having both DVD and VCR capabilities since I couldn't bear to break with my tradition of having the Long, Long, Trailer playing when my Overlander is open for the Vintage Open Houses at rallies. I purchased a Zenith 9" AC/DC TV/VCR from Sears, Roebuck and Co. (in 1998) and it has performed flawlessly for the past 4 years (I use it in my bedroom at home and it goes everywhere with me when Airstreaming - - it rides on the backseat of the Suburban when traveling). I purchased a new DVD for use in the RV from Camping World - - it is much smaller than the typical home units and is designed to be operated on 12-volt DC - - it has been a marvelous little unit - - a bit pricey, but it is designed for mobile use. The following is a link to its information:

RV DVD Player @ Camping World

I chose this route since I have numerous VHS tapes as well as a number of the newer DVDs - - I even have a collection of the laser discs that were to be the trend of the future about eight years ago.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 11:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I got a terrific deal on a Broksonic tv/vcr dc and a/c. It was sold new on ebay by the importer with all warranty,etc.
They are 225 at Best Buy and I paid 100 on ebay plus shipping.
Its a 13" screen with the vcr built in.
DVD players now are coming out that are tiny and inexpensive- so you could buy a ac-dc tv and simply plug one of them in. I saw a nice one at Target for 99 dollars and it was the size of a walkman.
If you have vcr equippped you will be able to do use both, as the tapes will proably go away at some point, but if you are like me you may have quite afew still around to use.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 12:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Another suggestion....A notebook computer with a DVD-ROM player and 14"-15" display in it. I have outfitted all of my Engineering RoadWarriors with them and they absolutely love them. I have mine also outfitted with an external USB TV Tuner and it works great. We use it all the time in our travels along with the GPS attachment.

-BobbyWright
(Enjoying spending other peoples $money$)

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 02:05 PM   #7
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
BobbyW

Agreed on the laptop idea.

Along with mine, I carry a set of small powered speakers. I found the laptop too hard to hear when the AC is operating.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 05:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Quote:
Originally posted by BobbyW
Another suggestion....A notebook computer with a DVD-ROM player and 14"-15" display in it.
That's probably what we'll wind up doing.

Quote:
I have mine also outfitted with an external USB TV Tuner and it works great.
Bobby, could you give more details about this USB tuner? I haven't found one out on the 'net yet that got decent reviews by owners when it came to full screen mode. Most say the picture's fine in a small window, but can't keep up with the frame rate at full screen. I'd sure like to not have to buy another TV if I don't have to!

Thanks!
Old 10-27-2002, 05:05 PM   #9
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Bobby,

You might want to check these out, 15 inch with TV tuner and speakers built in and AV jacks for DVD/VCR.

LCD Monitor

They can be VESA mounted and I have sold many of this brand and my customers love them.

If you really want to spend some $$ they have a 17 inch model.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 05:17 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Samsung has some 4:3 LCD flat panel monitors available with TV tuners. The previous 150MP ad 170MP came with an NTSC tuner and couldn't display ATSC (HDTV), but they're available pretty cheaply some places. The NTSC tuners are optional on the newer 151MP and 171MP . The 171MP can display 1280 X 1024, meaning it should be able to handle 720p X 1280 16:9. I guess Samsung made the NTSC tuners optional since they expect some people to buy one of their ATSC tuners.

--
edited to add J&R URLs
Old 10-28-2002, 08:56 AM   #11
Finally Retired

, Washington
What do these monitors run $$$ Do you just hook up your laptop to them or is it for dvd/vcr playing. We travel with a sat. dish just put it on a tripod works great.
Finally Retired
LKappenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 10:02 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Quote:
Originally posted by LKappenman
What do these monitors run $$$
The 15" is about $650 and the 17" is $900. The NTSC tuners are free until Christmas.

Quote:
Do you just hook up your laptop to them or is it for dvd/vcr playing.
Besides the NTSC tuner plug-in, there is a standard NTSC plug-in for a VHS tape player, an S-Video connector for Super VHS or interlaced DVD player, and a YPbPr component video in for progressive scan DVD or HDTV tuner input. You can also plug a computer into them and watch the TV in a window picture-in-picture style while you work.

Quote:
We travel with a sat. dish just put it on a tripod works great.
If you want HDTV from DirecTV, you'll need the oval dish with at least two LNBs (some is now on Sat C requiring a SPECIAL 3rd LNB) and if you want it from Dish, you'll have to have two separate dishes, since their HDTV satellite isn't anywhere close to the main satellite.
Old 10-31-2002, 08:27 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Thumbs up DVD Player Sale at Walmart

APEX DVD players are on sale now at Wal-Mart. We paid $58 plus tax for the APEX Digital AD-1100W. The sale started 10/30/02, and I'm not sure when it ends.

This DVD player also plays the following media/formats:
Kodak Picture CD (view or slide-show present photos)
MP3 (plays up to 10 hours of music from a CD)
JPEG (displays JPEG files on your TV from a CD)

It has S-Video output. The picture is AWESOME. It beats our RCA DVD player by a mile.

If you are currently looking, it looks like a good deal. We weren't looking, but at that price we now have a DVD player on the MH!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dvd player - apex.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	754  
Old 11-01-2002, 08:14 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Quote:
Originally posted by BobbyW
I have mine also outfitted with an external USB TV Tuner and it works great.
Bobby, could you give more details about this USB tuner? I haven't found one out on the 'net yet that got decent reviews by owners when it came to full screen mode. Most say the picture's fine in a small window, but can't keep up with the frame rate at full screen. I'd sure like to not have to buy another TV if I don't have to!

Thanks!