Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2024, 07:17 PM   #1

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , NM
Where to go next?

We are currently in New Braunfels, TX. Leaving around May 12. Any recommendations where to go next? Wife and I are very flexible/adventurous. Have been to Port Arransas, Corpus, SA, Austin, Big Bend.
Any ideas are appreciated.
Danmira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 05:59 AM   #2
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Welcome to the forum.

There is a lot to see in the SW part of the country How far are you willing to travel? Are you based in ALQ?
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 06:15 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
What to see mainly depends on which direction you plan on heading. North and east from Austin has some great state parks. If you want to traverse on the way to NM you could head west from Austin. First stop could be Fredericksburg where the Nimitz Museum is located along with a lot of shopping. It also has some good RV parks. Then hit I-10 west. Camp at Ft. Davis State park or South Llano River SP. I would head to El Paso and stay at Hueco Tanks SP. then up to Cloudcroft. Have fun.
Bubba L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 07:18 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Kind of depends on your sensitivity to heat, I guess. As it heats up more toward summertime, I head for higher and higher elevations in the Rocky Mountain region, in which there are literally thousands of particular destinations to choose from.

Lynn
Old 04-23-2024, 08:52 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Williamsburg , Virginia
Fredericksburg and the National Museum of the Pacific War (Nimitz Museum) are a must, and so close to you.
AgBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 09:10 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Another option is to chug along the Gulf Coast at least over to Pensacola. It's very nice this time of year and there are lots and lots of stops along the way.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 09:31 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2018 19' Tommy Bahama
Livingston , Texas
East Texas is very nice and they have an airstream only park in Zavalla Texas. itís called Texas airstream Harbor TAHI. They have visitors sites and itís right on Sam Rayburn reservoir, the people are very nice. We own a site there and spend a couple months there when we are wintering in Texas.
CandTSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 10:11 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
I would be headed out of the heat, but you have a little time left. Look at the Bolivar Peninsula. Stay close to the ferry, and you can easily go into Galveston. Or go west to Bisbee, AZ. Or further west to Bombay Beach. Go see the Sequoias. Go buy art on Canyon Road. Go see the Spruce Goose in McMinnville. Go to the Henry Ford and to Mackinac Island. Go to Huntsville and the Rocket Center. Go to Ground Zero in Clarksdale. Go to PEI. Go to Fremont Street and to the Sphere in Vegas. Go to Craters of the Moon. Go to Grand Coulee. Go to Carmel. Go to Snake Alley in Burlington, IL or to Lake Champlain in Burlington, VT. Go to Crystal Bridges. Go to the Empire State Building. Which way are you going?
Old 04-23-2024, 10:17 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
I found it fun to make a bucket list to visit every National Park. That means going to Alaska and California (and Hawaii, but not in Airstream ), and requires significant planning. It took us 5 years of summer travels to make it.

Our rhythm was to travel for a month, leave the rig in storage where we were, and fly home for a month. Then fly back to continue the trip for another month. 2 months out of the summer.

Amazing sights. There are currently 63 National Parks. We have only American Samoa NP left.
jnm30327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 10:23 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgBullet View Post
Fredericksburg and the National Museum of the Pacific War (Nimitz Museum) are a must, and so close to you.
Agree; while in the area, you must sample the wines from the many wineries, and also the German food in Fredricksburg; while there, you must also visit Luckenbach TX, where "everybody is somebody".
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 11:40 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
If you are wanting to stay in Texas or heading back to NM, I would suggest the second largest canyon in the US which is Palo Duro. Great camping there too. Then not too far to White Sands in NM.
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 07:26 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Asking if you have a place you liked to airstream camp in New Braunfels?
It's on my bucket list the winter after I retire. I adore Texas Music.

If you are at all interested in being north, but east of Colorado I would go now or wait until fall. After June it's humid and sticky.

But some suggestions would be NW Arkansas /Beaver Lake (check out Horseshoe Bend on recreation dot gov). Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art is fantastic (and free). It's in Bentonville.

Or head to Gulf Shores AL before it's too hot.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 05:19 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Iola , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmira View Post
We are currently in New Braunfels, TX. Leaving around May 12. Any recommendations where to go next? Wife and I are very flexible/adventurous. Have been to Port Arransas, Corpus, SA, Austin, Big Bend.
Palo Duro Canyon near Amarillo is gorgeous and will not be too hot yet
IronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 03:16 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Palo Duro Canyon.
Fredricksburg for the Nimitz museum and Enchanted Rock.
Dinosaur Valley. Take the long hike to the highest point in the park.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 09:30 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Fredericktown , Ohio
We spent a lot of time in that area of the county this winter.

The 5 missions in San Antonio are worth visiting. You can see all of them by bicycle if you wish.

Heading further north, Fort Davis is great because you can visit the old fort and then drive to the McDonald observatory for one of the programs they offer. We attended a "Star Party". https://mcdonaldobservatory.org

While there, you could also drive the most scenic drive in Texas. Texas 118 and 166 go around Mount Livermore and takes about 2 hours to drive it. Very worthwhile trip if you are in that area.

There is a lot to see in that area of the country.
WBCCI #6826
We have Year-Round Courtesy Parking.
MMCMRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 01:36 PM   #16

2017 27' International
Needville , Texas
This is an app with all the state parks of Texas. Cheap rates especially with annual pass.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/texas-state-parks-guide/id1047413656
DrArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 06:46 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Lake Mary , Florida
Tucumcari, Las Vegas NM, ABQ, Alamogorda, Taos, Rio Grande Gorge
suncoasteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 08:48 PM   #18
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by coasttocoast View Post
I would be headed out of the heat, but you have a little time left. Look at the Bolivar Peninsula. Stay close to the ferry, and you can easily go into Galveston. Or go west to Bisbee, AZ. Or further west to Bombay Beach. Go see the Sequoias. Go buy art on Canyon Road. Go see the Spruce Goose in McMinnville. Go to the Henry Ford and to Mackinac Island. Go to Huntsville and the Rocket Center. Go to Ground Zero in Clarksdale. Go to PEI. Go to Fremont Street and to the Sphere in Vegas. Go to Craters of the Moon. Go to Grand Coulee. Go to Carmel. Go to Snake Alley in Burlington, IL or to Lake Champlain in Burlington, VT. Go to Crystal Bridges. Go to the Empire State Building. Which way are you going?
Snake Alley is actually in Burlington Iowa, beautiful old town on the river, raced a bicycles on Snake Alley, but many years ago
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 09:02 PM   #19
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmira View Post
Marfa is a must, then work your ways towards Bisbee AZ. May will become kinda warm in the desert, so work your way north with a stop in Prescott, then head for the mountains. I would recommend a stay at Pancho Villa SP in NM, on your route to Bisbee (travel route 9) but they currently have sewer issues, so no dump/restrooms. If you're ok with with that, they have a lot of history and a great museum at the park. On your way to Bisbee, stop in Douglas and visit the Gadsden Hotel for breakfast, you won't believe it. Bisbee, Cafe Roka, The Noodle Shop and the French bakery, you can thank me later. So much to do, you won't have any problems.
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 07:24 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Since summer is coming, I'd head north to some of my favorite places.
Durango, Co. Ride the train.
Silverton, Co. Cowboy beautiful
Ouray, Co. Switzerland in the old west. Take the jeep tour to Imogene pass (13,114')
Ridgway, Co. Have a burger at 'True Grit Cafe'. Follow the trail into the Cimmeron's.
Side trip to Telluride. Ride the free ski lift all over. Watch the mountain biker's take the "Double Black Diamond" down. (I saw a mountain UNICYCLE!)
Take hwy 141 through Gateway Canyon and see the 'hanging flume' where water to the mines came from the Deloris river. Beautiful road, no traffic.
North again to The Tetons and walk Mormon row, the most photographed spot in the west.
Jackson, Wy. See the "Museum of western art"; stunning!
Yellowstone? Join 100,000 of your closest friends on the boardwalks
Then paradise...Glacier National Park. But don't tell anyone or it will become too crowed also.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote