Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-11-2020, 10:20 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmall01 View Post
Kinda a dumb question, but I'll chalk it up to being an AS newbie. (got our first Airstream in May) We are heading out on CA 395 for a week of boondock camping. We also going up to Lassen in November. Non of these places have water hookups or spigots to fill our fresh water tank. Lassen actually shuts off the water in October.

I don't want to tow the AS full of water, so where do most people fill up the tank along the way before setting up camp? Gas station, Wal-Mart? Any ideas, suggestions would be great.
We fill ours fresh water tanks at home and we have 5 gallon refill jug to top up fresh water tank if needed. It is the gray tanks that seems to fill up way to fast so shower time are limited. Good luck on the trip and Who knows we might see you at Lassen as we are planning a similar trip. Good luck
ASFC25_2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 10:42 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Fill at home
That way you won’t run out of waste tank storage since waste tanks exceed fresh water volume
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 10:46 AM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
west plains , Missouri
Water, fill ?

We echo the other replies saying fill at home...and when you can. We use bottled water for tea and drinking, cooking, etc. Additionally: with full water tank one can on a whim stop, stay, use the toilet, shower, eat, and comfortably exist without being hostage to connections. This....a great benefit of Airstreaming.
rjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 11:34 AM   #44
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Kinda a dumb question, but I'll chalk it up to being an AS newbie. (got our first Airstream in May) We are heading out on CA 395 for a week of boondock camping. We also going up to Lassen in November. Non of these places have water hookups or spigots to fill our fresh water tank. Lassen actually shuts off the water in October.

I don't want to tow the AS full of water, so where do most people fill up the tank along the way before setting up camp? Gas station, Wal-Mart? Any ideas, suggestions would be great.
I always leave home with a full tank f fresh water from my home water spigot.
Vladius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 02:59 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
What size/weight trailer? Jeep tow rating?

A short vehicle like a Jeep with a trailer longer than a Bambi can have the tail wagging the dog. I towed our 25’ Safari for a couple years with a V8 Explorer. It worked, marginally.
dmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 03:08 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
I always leave with a full FW tank and I boondock extensively, as long as 30 days off the grid. An under the counter ADC filter takes care of filtering what I drink and use for cooking. I do use a sediment filter whenever I am connected to a FW supply. I have a couple of 5-gallon containers that I carry in the back of my TV and a 25-foot length of potable water hose to fill these containers whenever I come across a place to get potable water. I also have a spray bottle of 50% Clorox bleach that I spray onto the spigot that I am going to fill from - water is generally safe, but you never know whose grubby hands touched the spigot.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 03:43 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
Imho, treat all water as unknown and unsafe

Treat all water
We use a high volume filter from HD fir all water inside
Plus we have another triple filter with its own tap for drinking,coffee tea etc
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 04:01 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
Fill it full at home. Makes no difference in towing.
. . .
This advice may not be accurate for the OP's 19' AS. Our FC20 has the fresh water tank at the very rear, and when it is full, and the front of the trailer not quite full of normal gear, the heavy tail can wag the dog a bit. Sway is noticeable.

Quote:
thanks all. our TV is a v6 grand cherokee so was a bit concerned about the extra weight of the water.. but sounds like the vast majority of people fill up before heading out.
With your 19' your concern should prompt further reflection per comments above and below IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac View Post
What size/weight trailer? Jeep tow rating?

A short vehicle like a Jeep with a trailer longer than a Bambi can have the tail wagging the dog. I towed our 25’ Safari for a couple years with a V8 Explorer. It worked, marginally.
Bingo!

Simplistic broad brush advice here does not cover all specific rig permutations.

One size does not fit all.

Good advice in general to use your judgement about the water source, a new potable water hose, and a good inline filter.

When on the road, we prefer to use only bottled water for cooking, drinking, and brushing teeth.

Happy trails,
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 04:55 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Shawnee , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
we fill at service stations, truck stops almost always have water at island where trucks fuel. We never drink the water from the tank
Just wash with tank water, bring bottled water to drink, always we were taught. We do boil it for coffee, however!?

2 year newbied going on 3 years.

Vagabonds_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 04:57 PM   #50
Smh
1 Rivet Member

2024 30' Classic
Truckee , California
We’ve been doing more dry camping at National and State parks, and Harvest Hosts this year. We fill the fresh water tank at home or at RV Parks with hookups between dry camping and have no problem towing with a full tank of fresh water. This allows us to dump the black and grey tanks and refill the water tank at these parks with hookups or dump stations. For us a full tank lasts about four days and we take navy showers every day. We recently bought a 30 gallon bladder tank and pump to extend our stays if there is a water spigot in the park. Haven’t used it yet but the idea is to drive the truck to the spigot and fill the bladder tank, then drive back to the trailer.

Bladder Tank:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For water quality we drink from our fresh water tank. We installed a filter under the galley sink in the cold water line:

Under sink water filter:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As for finding dump stations here’s a website that can be helpful:
https://www.sanidumps.com

This what we do. However I can’t speak for your rig, TV and TT configuration, with regards to towing with a full tank. Our setup is a F350 and 27FB.
Smh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 07:07 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Antelope , California
There are many of us that know that travelling with a full fresh water tank can be hazardous to the tank - causing it to crack and leak, requiring an expensive repair. The OEM Airstream fitting from the trailer to the tank is not flexible - so when the tank is heavy with water, there is little give between the fittings, causing great stress to the tank. Eventually leading to cracking and leaking as ours (and many others) have done. Our mechanic recommended the use of a bladder to hold fresh water in your truck, filled pre-trip, then transfer the water to the trailer while boondocking as needed. Here is an example. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...NF87HKG2&psc=1 You can use one of those cheap portable water pumps or siphons to pump it from the bladder into the trailer
Vinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 07:32 PM   #52
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boise , Idaho
We are in the inter mountain west. 90 % going up or down mountains. Easier on the brakes carry less weight of water. Just enough water in the tank for flushing toilet and washing hands. If gusty winds will half fill the water tank. We bring bottled water for drinking. Every one has their routine
mtbmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 08:02 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Shawnee , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabonds_2 View Post
Just wash with tank water, bring bottled water to drink, always we were taught. We do boil it for coffee, however!?

2 year newbied going on 3 years.

Another piece of newbie advice we didn't get, is always keep some fluid in your black tank so paper products don't get dried out and plug up your dump valve. Maybe others have more scientific advice on this. Don't find out the hard way at the dump station.
Vagabonds_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:31 PM   #54

Currently Looking...
Box Elder , South Dakota
Quote:
Kinda a dumb question, but I'll chalk it up to being an AS newbie.

This is a good app to find places on your route. It let you know the cost and if a location has potable water.

https://www.sanidumps.com/
walkerhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 06:39 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerhound View Post
This is a good app to find places on your route. It let you know the cost and if a location has potable water.

https://www.sanidumps.com/
It's even more important for dumping stations. Although always call and make sure ahead of times.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:50 AM   #56
2 Rivet Member

1992 21' Sovereign
2007 27' Classic FB
Klamath Falls , OR
You are smart to ask this question.
You probably enjoy really good coffee and having good water is imperative.
I have some favorite places to fill up. I ask our local water testing lab where the best water is here in Klamath Falls, OR.
Two spots.
Tub Springs on OR HWY 66 just up the Greensprings from Ashland.
Collier State Park, HWY 97, North of Klamath Falls.
Yes, always filter and use a food grade hose.
Other places with great water?
Tehachape, CA. Go to the county park.
Places to avoid?
Gas stations
Anywhere in Phoenix, AZ
Remember to keep you tank and plumbing clean. Most of the great water is not chlorinated so you may want to dump your FW tank and treat with sanitation.
wdkennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 09:57 AM   #57
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Napa , California
Smile 395 sources

I understand concern Donner or Tioga are tough ascents. We’ve camped on 395 and both Diaz Lake and Boulder Creek RV park in Lone Pine have water. You can dump at Boulder for small fee. The lake has various spigots through out campground may need water thief. It’s a sweet site to camp at foot of Lone Pine Peak and Mt Whitney. I hope you boondock in the Alabama Hills one of the best in West! Check out western Film Museum there too. Happy trails.
RMYull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 01:58 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International
Livermore , California
1: Always leave home with a full fresh tank, empty gray tank, and almost empty black tank (after dumping the black, we add a few gallons of water, a cup of liquid calgon, and a cup of laundry detergent.

2: Use an app to know where are the dump stations on or near your route. Map these ahead of time in case you're in an area without signal.

3: Dump/fill whenever possible. When boondocking we will plan our route so that we move on and dump and refill once a week at least. Also overnight at a full hookup site during transition days can be nice to do this and take some nice luxurious showers as well.

4: We filter into the fresh tank and sanitize it a couple times per year, and drink bottled water.

I'm not typically a tow-vehicle shamer, but if you can't tow with a full water tank, then your TV is inadequate for boondocking, and probably inadequate in general.
MotoMannequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 06:26 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
We always leave home full- even going over high passes in Colorado. On the road we rely on Campendium app to help find dump and fill stations. When boondocking for longer periods I have a low profile 55 gallon horse tank that fits under the tanneua that we fetch water with. I never tow with it full as it would exceed my F150 load limits. Safe travels!
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:34 AM   #60
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhounds View Post
Dearborn and Flint, MI. Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, Newark and many others report high lead content among other contaminants. We use a Camcorder filter and Berkey filter for drinking water. Better safe

It's Dearborn Heights, not Dearborn, and in 0.8% of the homes in the city it's lead from the service lead pipes into some homes. Nothing related to "among other contaminants".

And, in most areas of the country where service entrance lines to homes have not been changed since the early 1970s, you will find exactly the same thing.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...water-samples/

https://cityofdearborn.org/articles/...ne-information

So, if you are are in Dearborn Heights, not Dearborn, and you are filling your tank at the 150-odd homes that have lead service entrance pipes, the info is valid...to a degree.

Water from municipal water systems that has proper pH and corrosion controls in treated water (Flint decided to save money and not do so) do not disturb the 50-year-old buildup of coating that has separated the lead from the water over the years and as such don't have a problem.

So much for the University of Facebook as an information source.
69charger is offline   Reply With Quote