Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2006, 09:40 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Parallel Universe...

I should tell you that I have that I have a complete outfit for more primitive camping that I use in the back country where you can't drag an Airstream. It includes an outfitters tent, zero degree sleeping bags, wood stove, rustic kitchen, the works. I love both approaches to camping. The common denominator is going to beautiful places with interesting people who enjoy good food and a glass of "Two Buck Chuck" with the grilled tenderloin in the evening.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 10:41 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by klevan
And since I really don't believe that man is the cause of climate change, and since the Saudis say the have enough oil to meet the needs of the United States for the next 200 years, I intend to burn every drop I can pulling that Airstream every chance I get. (This should liven things up a bit)
When I was a child, the population of the U.S. was 165,000,000. Now it's almost 300,000,000. I think we may be TOO successful as a species.

But, I fulltime, so the gas I spend is offset by the small footprint I have for heating and air conditioning. I get sick when I think what my monthly electric bill used to be to air condition a 3,150 sq ft house.

Paula Ford
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 04:12 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR
I just needed a way to launder the money that was in my safe.
MarkR
Wonderful, Mark. A bucketful of karma is on its way to you.
Nick.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:22 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
I worked in "Startup" at power plants across the country and most had RV parks near by for the workers. My RV became my home way from home. After I retired, I full timed several years and my travel pardener (a golden retriver) enjoy the life style. We tend to stay at Military Base or Federal campgounds. Today we have a home base at Salt Springs Florida on Lake Kerr and are busy planning our fall foliage trip.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 07:15 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2006 Safari SE
Everson , Washington
Family Morals? Bizarre, can't imagine what this is about in regard to camping.
We like to camp enjoy nature and will not use hook ups if there is a choice.
pagoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 07:41 AM   #26
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I'm 45 and my wife is 42. We have two young boys (6 & 9) and wanted to be able to take short weekend trips to get away with the family. We thought of a lake house, but decided that would be the same old place every time and we would get board. This way, we have a second home at the lake, beach, and mountains...anywhere we want.

Why Airstream? Quality and durability first and classic style second. Like a Harley, it is an American icon.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 05:43 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamFan
I bought my Airstream in 2004 at the ripe old age of 32. I grew up camping in a tent trailer, and my grandparents had a 77 Excella that I thought was SO cool. I guess I fit into the "fastest growing category" of Gen X'ers referred to in the article.
Sounds familiar. I bought my B190 last year, at age 30. My parents have had all sorts of travel trailers ranging from pop-ups to their current 34' Airstream. I spent a LOT of time in trailers growing up.

Why? Because I love camping - it's a great way to travel without the hassle of flying. You meet interesting people, and people in campgrounds tend to be very friendly. Plus I can take my cat Snowball with me, and he loves it. (I don't like kenneling him, and he can't stay at home like most cats due to a food issue.)

I bought a motorhome because (a) I don't have a vehicle to tow with, and (b) I knew I'd want to take a car with me to various car-related events, and (c) I'm not sure how I'd handle the air conditioning in a trailer on the road (for the cat). So, a motorhome was the way to go for me.

Now I just need to find a 30-something single woman to camp with.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 06:24 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Yucky hotels..
Too much money for them.....
Hanging with the family (values can be passed on when you are together)
Showing the kids parts of the country that they would not normaly see.
Too cool to pass up.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 11:02 AM   #29
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
I ain't fitting in anywhere in that trend. I bought my Argosy when I was 33 to serve a specific purpose. It didn't really occur to me until years later that I ought to go CAMPING in it. I got the Airstream when I was 46 with the idea that I WOULD use it for going camping. My ambition is to someday have a NEWER Airstream, but I doubt I'll ever spend the bucks for a new one.

Then again, I just might keep the Airstream forever. (I still have the Argosy, too.)

I wonder what percentage of new RVs sold in Canada are sold to new snow birds?

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 11:12 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
I love the article and I'm glad it came back around. We got into it due to our son and it's a great way to bring the family closer. It's sooo great to get up on a Friday morn and on the spur of the moment say "Let's go camping".
I think and hope our health stays good I would love to do it full time.
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 08:25 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

1993 35' Legacy Diesel
richmond , Michigan
Well we are pretty new again at this, Having just bought our new to us airstream MH. I have become fortunate in developing my bussiness to where I am able to take several days off a month and group them together. We have owned 2 MH and a TT in the past. Living in Michigan there are many beautiful places to explore in both the upper and lower peninsulas. Also having traveled much of my life by air it is refreshing to be able to get up and go when I am ready , rather than going when the airlines is ready. Anyhow for those of you that have traveled by air since 911 it is becoming increasingly time consumming. Just seeing different things and being able to be apart of this great out doors is awesome Also as my signiture indicates my business is Training Dogs so I always have a couple of furry friends that join us. Without the MH they would be left behind. I guess ther are as many reasons to be involved in this lifestyle as there are posters and each time we go I find another reason.
John & Sharron
Dog Trainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 06:48 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
We were not campers. Tim had never really camped other than pitching a tent with his brothers near the river on his parent's property. I had gone camping a few times with my family in a rented pop-up and a bit of camping in Boundary Waters Canoe Area with a group from church when I was a teen.

About five years ago we started looking at lake property but could never take that leap....in the final anaylsis, we just didn't see ourselves as *lake people*. We didn't want another lawn to mow and another home to maintain. Nor did we want to feel obligated to keep going to the same place.

We started homeschooling our daughters about four years ago (now 9 and 4) and really wanted to incorporate educational travel into our curriculum, whenever possible. Those Go RVing commercials really spoke to us. The deserted beach at sunset with the lone family frollicking by the campfire....so, we rented a class C to see if RVing was something that would interest us. We wanted to travel and show our girls (and ourselves) new places, new experiences, and try new cuisines. Hate the hassle associated with air travel. And never feel comfortable sleeping in a hotel.

Our search began for the perfect family RV. We looked at everything, even diesel pushers, over a two year period. Visited RV dealers, went to RV shows, toured manufacturing facilities, asked questions on many forums, including this one. Really liked the idea of an Airstream, American icon, versus a SOB disposable, blah, square box. Fell in love with the interior of the CCD...it is so unlike our home which is very traditional in decor. This felt like a true *escape pod* for us.

We signed on the dotted line in February of '05, saw our CCD on the assembly line in March, and picked it up in April. Have spent over 60 nights in it so far. Rediscovered the natural beauty of our state. Been to a few Airstream rallies, met some fun people, seen many new places, and have become hooked on hiking. Thoroughly enjoy the family time away from the hustle and bustle of ordinary life. And we're having a great time dreaming up locations and destinations to explore.

Best decision we ever made...we still may not be *campers* in the truest sense of the word...but whatever you choose to call it...we are having the time of our lives!

Randi
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 07:47 PM   #33
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Dumped the 3500 Sq. Ft. house in 2000, built a much smaller vacation house and bought a 40' Monaco Dynasty MoHo to full-time in. Saw a bunch of the country and wound up in FL. Great climate for business and weather in the Winter. You can keep all the rest as my soul still resides in Oregon, where I vacation now for 2 months in the summer to re-charge!

After selling the 'vacation house' in Hood River and the bus, I needed a way to be 'mobile' while having a base of operations while on vacation. I never considered anything else but the 19CCD that I have. It suites me perfectly!

If space, time and money permit, I might get a vintage to restore, but will probably keep the CCD until either it or I fall apart! (guess which one will win!) .
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 07:57 PM   #34
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Baja California

Baja made us look for a camper - any camper. After tent camping in Baja, and experiencing the nasty winter winds, we moved into my delivery van. Worked well for exactly 1/2 season..then my wife and I went looking for something more secure - trailer, motorhome, anything to be comfortable when camping in Baja California.
We ran across this much loved, but also quite needy 71 TradeWind, and thought it looked neat, much better than the white boxes we had inspected the weeks and month before. So we bought it and figured that we can always sell it if we don't like it. Right....
That's where the addiction started. Self inflicted, no previous history, never really liked camping, but loved Baja, terefore looking for something rugged to schlepp south four times a year.
Now, 4 years later, we have refurbished and sold the TradeWind, and moved into a 1963 Overlander, which we enjoy tremendously. The OL is an ongoing project, but is a kick and1/2 to take out. For me, it has become a hobby, but one that can be shared with kids and grand kids, instead of sports cars and motorcycles ( which I also love and own) that are sort of "selfish" things for a man to own. Family über alles!
Old 08-21-2006, 11:36 AM   #35
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
I'm 45 and my wife is 42. We have two young boys (6 & 9) and wanted to be able to take short weekend trips to get away with the family. We thought of a lake house, but decided that would be the same old place every time and we would get board. This way, we have a second home at the lake, beach, and mountains...anywhere we want.

Why Airstream? Quality and durability first and classic style second. Like a Harley, it is an American icon.
As a post script to this earlier post, it occurred to me this week end while we were camping in the North Georgia Mountains, in the 2-1/2 months that we have owned our new Airstream we have taken our two boys camping in five different states! That's 1/10 of the United States in less than 10 weeks! Three of those states would have just been places on a map at this stage in their lives without the Airstream. Wow! What a difference it has already made.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 01:53 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Where do I fit?

I saw no catagory for a desert rat. I love the desert! We go to the desert monthly. My camping style started with sleeping on the ground to a VW van to truck to a 10 wheel drive 2 1/2 ton army truck to an offroad pop up. Throughout all of this I've always spotted the Airstreams on the highways and byways. I loved those things. They looked so cool and functional. So one cold very windy day in the Mojave while pulling the pop up an incident happened that caused the wife and I to look at each other and then at the pop up and with out a word spoked we knew we'd be getting a TT. We had gone TT shopping with another couple who were in the market and we'd leave the dealership thinking what a boring piece of flimsy junk those white boxs were. So after we decided to get a TT there was no question that it would be an A/S. We go camping twice a month to leave the stress and worry of the world behind and to see nature. Lightning storm from monsoon season. The desert floor covered in flowers that are and inch high. Sunsets over the mountains. Or just swilling beer in the lounge chairs with a thousand mile view. Being in the forest or at the beach. The only way to really enjoy it is to be there with the time to see and enjoy it. Can't get any of that from a hotel room.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 06:51 PM   #37
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I originally got a trailer because most motels/hotels of the period would not allow pets. This seems to be changing, but we will not give up our ability to go where we want, when we want, and take our dog with us while doing it. That, coupled with the fact the last time we stayed in a (national chain) motel, there were streaks on the walls, that in the light of morning, turned out to be smeared human waste . I will never stay in another one if we can possibly take our trailer with us, and maybe not even if we can't.