Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2021, 02:40 PM   #121
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
San Francisco , California
We just did the same upgrade from a Nissan Titan XD Diesel to the Ford F-250 Diesel and we could not be happier!!!!
SuziRed22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 04:15 PM   #122
1 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
2016 27' International
Acworth , Georgia
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

hope link works... if not, it was Amazon and called: Apexstone 100N/22.5lb Gas Struts,Gas Springs,Gas Strut,Lift Support,Gas Shocks,Lid Stay,Lid Support,Set of 4
hollihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 05:52 PM   #123
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by missaviatrix View Post
Ford TPMS System

5. Ford TPMS trailer kit that reads out in the instrument cluster of our F250.

Mike, where did you purchase this system? I have a 2020 Expedition with the tow package and have been looking for a trailer TPMS system that integrates with the Ford system (no extra monitor required). Sounds like you found one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewillia View Post
FOMOCO, offers a FORD accessory/add-on Trailer-Tow Camera/TPMS system for their late model Super-Duty series pickup trucks of which are factory equipped with the Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System (874) and Sync 3.

The add-on can be purchased as both the Camera/TPMS add-on or TPMS add-on only.

I would recommend you contact your Ford Dealer's parts department and inquire if such is offered and available for your 2020 Expedition.

https://accessories.ford.com/kit-tpms-sensor-12813.html
Hi missaviatrix, looks like you got a reply. I'm also unsure if this TPMS kit is available for your Expedition so checking with your Ford dealer is probably your best bet. Once you have a part number be sure to do a google search as there are deals to be had for this item online. Here's an example (these folks might also know about availability of the TPMS for your Expedition):

https://www.lascoautoparts.com/oem-p...sor-lc3z1a189d

I will add that aside from installing the wheel sensors which require the tires to be dismounted from the rims, installation of the TPMS kit is very much a DIY project. Good luck!

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 07:52 PM   #124
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Sovereign
anycity , New Hampshire
Generator box on the front of our 31' 83 Soveign.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/56bp8dFrAunE1VFD6
Tim J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 08:31 PM   #125
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
It’s hard to say which upgrade is best for me. Most of them have added additional functionality or improved aesthetics, so they’re all good. My list of upgrades includes:
  • 180W of rooftop solar panels with AGM batteries
  • WeBoost cellular booster system
  • Verizon MiFi hotspot
  • MaxxAir vent covers for our Fantastic Fans
  • Mopeka propane tank level sensors
  • Levelmate Pro leveling system
  • Weems & Plath nautical grade clock, thermometer and hygrometer mounted on bulkhead wall
  • Wooden toilet seat upgrade
  • Oxygenics shower head upgrade
  • Added an additional USB outlet, including QC and USC-C, upgraded outlet in nightstand
  • Replaced bedroom television with smart TV and bluetooth connectivity
  • Custom fill cushion from Ultimate Airstreams to convert dinette into a lounge with the table in the down position.
  • Addition of various hooks, racks, and shelves to improve functionality and storage
  • Teak shower floor upgrade
  • Custom made dog bed that fits into our Airstream hallway perfectly

There are many more, but these are some of the big ones. I’d say the additional charging ports and the Levelmate Pro are my favorites.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 02:29 AM   #126
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
The first upgrade I did on the 2004 Safari I bought in 2014 was changing the factory power unit out for a better unit. I have had the newer unit shut down due to low voltage situations, and saved losing some expensive equipment due to poor RV shore power. When I restored power with Honda generators, the unit recovered with all systems intact. This doesn't happen often, but saved a LOT MORE than it cost to put the new unit in.

This was probably better than changing all bulbs to LED, making an LED panel with great lighting for over the stove, and even putting in the EasyStart to save carrying a second Honda generator in the tow vehicle.......

Your mileage may vary.
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 07:01 AM   #127
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
For me it was replacing the original Hehr light / vent combo in my living room with a Fantastic Vent, and an old-school light off to one side.

Its common for people to install a Fantastic in older trailers but for some reason I almost never see people include a light.

My blog under 'vent modifications' covers some of this in more detail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS Fantastic.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	571.3 KB
ID:	390292  

Its a camper, therefore it leaks.
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 07:26 AM   #128
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver.Sanctuary View Post
If you get tired of your alcohol smelling like old sox, you should consider using "Built" brand sleeves out of neoprene.
I did wash them first!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 07:48 AM   #129
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Temple , Texas
We have not made many changes but we upgraded the electric jack to a more reliable model and our number 1 upgrade was trading our Ram 1/2 ton for a Ram 2500.
RamRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:33 AM   #130
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
It’s hard to say which upgrade is best for me. Most of them have added additional functionality or improved aesthetics, so they’re all good. My list of upgrades includes:
  • Custom made dog bed that fits into our Airstream hallway perfectly

Did you make the dog bed yourself, or was this outsourced? Would you share your measurements and where you plop it down? Thanks

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:37 AM   #131
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Did you make the dog bed yourself, or was this outsourced? Would you share your measurements and where you plop it down? Thanks
I'd be happy to share. I had the dog bed made at www.cushionsource.com. In my 23FB, the center hallway is pretty narrow, and there's a space in front of the door where we place the dog's bed. She's a Great Dane, so it's a big bed. It's essentially sized and shaped to fit in that little nook behind the dinette and in front of the door. I'd be happy to send you dimensions.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:01 AM   #132
1 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
Houston , Texas
I installed a compost toilet. No more black tank. I can use both tanks now for grey water.
NancyJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 09:55 AM   #133
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Morgan Hill , California
I really appreciate all the updates folks have noted.

What might help when replying though is that you state your model and size of trailer. Some of the upgrades are very specific and yet looking at some of the close in pics it is difficult to understand exactly how such upgrade could benefit the reader.

Oh and I like how we all ignore the original question. Hey its natural to be proud of ALL the things you have done, right?
kbmwrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 01:15 AM   #134
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Lake Charles , SW Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmwrs View Post
What might help when replying though is that you state your model and size of trailer.
Note that most members indicate their Airstream year and model info in their personal details to the left side of the post/thread window or otherwise in their signatures at the bottom.
Old 03-11-2021, 04:41 AM   #135
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Annapolis , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe View Post
I think being that I tow my trailers a lot, the best upgrade was installing Disc Brakes, with Dexter's EH actuator. Each brake has a 4-piston Caliper, and will stop my entire rig without using the truck brakes at all, repeatedly with out noticeable fade. So very long descents no longer give me grey hairs.
Another giant leap forward in the usability and personal safety on many levels is my Airkrafters generator kit. I can now go truly wherever I want and stay longer with greater safety for food and comfort. Having AC at rest stops or while in the Mojave Desert truly is a "game changer" Combined with the 2.75in lift kit it is truly a blessing to have.
Another change ( maybe some dont see it as an upgrade) was changing my 2 roof vents over to Maxx Air automatic ventilators. I didn't opt for the clamshell design, but rather for the simple tinted lids. I really like the 10-speed control, and also appreciate the build quality tremendously. I can remove the screens for cleaning with 4 little snaps, and can also remove the propeller with just a small hex wrench. I was a long time fan of the Fantastic Vent product, but I truly think these work better for me.
Oh, and the Zip Dee awning shade. Its a great addition, and allows some privacy and shade. In addition, if installed correctly, it adds wind resistance to the otherwise fragile ZipDee awning on my FB Safari 25.
Uwe,

Are disc brakes now standard (Mine is a 2016 International)? If not this is an upgrade I'd like to do on my trailer. Would you mind providing the manufacturer of the brakes?

Thanks
super90ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:43 AM   #136
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Morgan Hill , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewillia View Post
Note that most members indicate their Airstream year and model info in their personal details to the left side of the post/thread window or otherwise in their signatures at the bottom.
Opps.
Old 03-12-2021, 12:22 PM   #137
Eric

2019 25' Flying Cloud
tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartsDad View Post
Single best, 3" lift. Several others tied for second: TPMS, battery disconnect, leather door pull for the "secret door", ottoman for the L couch.
Hi .. what is your TPMS system model/brand? any feedback so far?
laferic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 12:41 PM   #138
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Best aesthetic upgrade...polishing. Definitely polishing!

Shari
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0091.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	390547   Click image for larger version

Name:	ext curbside front.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	445.2 KB
ID:	390548  

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 01:46 PM   #139
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
Best aesthetic upgrade...polishing. Definitely polishing!

Shari
That's spectacular!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 09:59 AM   #140
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Morgan Hill , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by laferic View Post
Hi .. what is your TPMS system model/brand? any feedback so far?
I also use TPMS from
https://eezrvproducts.com/
EZ Tire

I only install before a trip. I don't leave them on all the time.

Saved me more than once. Going across the salt flat the alarm went off. I pumped up the tire to get further down the road (off interstate) and it went off again. Upon removal to tire there was a screw in it. If not for the TPMS (any brand) I would have easily done some serious damage.