Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2016, 12:38 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Charlottesville , Virginia
What's The Best Roadside Assistance Company

I just received my AAA renewal bill. We own a 28 ft. Airstream FC and tow it with a 2015 GMC 2500. I have AAA Plus/RV but I am not sure that this is the best roadside assistance offered. I purchased it because it was easy and it was the only one that I knew anything about. Before I pay the renewal premium I would like to find out what other AS owners think is the best roadside assistance offered and why they thing that it is best. I insure my AS with Progressive and I think that they have some type of coverage included, but I am not sure.

Thank you for your help and input!
Charlottesville, VA
Ed Brownfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 02:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I have that and Good Sams. Never had to use either, so I can't comment on which one is better. Since I was already a AAA member, adding the RV was cheap and a no brainer.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 05:54 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Salem , Oregon
we have AAA with up to either 100 or 200 mi towing, I do not remember which and the RV coverage. It runs a bit over $200 per year. but this year I needed a tow when a thief drilled a hole in my gas tank. One tow, one jump start, one gas run a year more than covers what I think we would pay in a direct private pay situation.
MontyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 06:17 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Minneapolis , Minnesota
I like Better World Club.
fairtheewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 06:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
According to their advertising (and my weak memory) Good Sam's will tow you to the nearest RV repair service without mileage restriction.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 06:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
What's The Best Roadside Assistance Company?

Hi, I had Good Sam and still have basic AAA. But in answer to your question, my answer is Ford.

I have been with AAA for decades and can't remember the last time that I called them for my vehicle.

I got a good deal on Good Sam just before my Alaska trip and with an old high mileage 12 year old Lincoln, I thought it was a good deal. Renewal fees were too high so I didn't renew with Good Sam.

I bought a brand new Ford F-150 with factory extended warranty so Ford road side assistance will be my choice to call especially while towing.

AAA will be used for my Lincoln and my wife's BMW if ever needed.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
We have CoachNet on our Foretravel MH, and when it sells and we get the Airstream we'll keep it. We broke down once and they towed us almost an hour to Joplin Freightliner who said they could fix the problem. They couldn't, so we were towed another two hours to Big Cabin, OK where the problem was finally fixed. Most of that distance was on the toll road, and we didn't even have to pay the toll for the MH (we did for the Jeep that we were driving). The first thing they say on the phone is "Are you in a safe place?"
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
The best value in roadside assistance is an AMA membership with annual auto-renew. They subcontract it to one of the national companies, and it gets you all of the expected benefits for your car or motorcycle, and covers RVs. I've used it for towing a car twice, and a jumpstart once. Quick and courteous service - better than the AAA that I used to have. It also includes trip planning services. All for $50/yr. You don't even have to have a motorcycle -it's free with your auto-renew membership.
americanmotorcyclist.com
Old 08-21-2016, 01:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
I've been an AAA member for decades & have never used it except for obtaining maps & travel books --- until recently. After getting my AS last November, I increased my AAA coverage to their RV Premier plan, at $165 annually.

The until recently: Alta & I left Seattle last June to drive to the Lewisburg, WV rally. Going over a mountain pass on the border between ID & MT, my truck sprung an oil leak, so we hobbled to the top of the pass, shut down, & called AAA. We were probably an hour from civilization. Several hours later, a flat-bed tow truck arrived, put the truck on the flat-bed, & towed the trailer. The driver asked us whether we wanted to go to the nearest service station, around an hour away, or the closest Ram dealer, in Post Falls, ID, on the ID/OR border, several hours away (on the other side of ID). I asked for his recommendation; he recommended going to the Ram dealer, which we did. Upon arrival, I asked him for his charge. "No charge --- covered by AAA." The tow truck driver had some 4 hours in this tow, portal to portal. I shudder to think what that tow would have cost without AAA or the likelihood of being towed to the Ram dealer at no charge with some other insurance plan. When it came time to renew my AAA membership a month or so ago, I didn't think twice about cutting them a check.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 01:22 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
I was not aware of the roadside assistance feature with AMA membership. To qualify requires a 3-year membership with automatic renewal, at $149, & entitles a member, among other things, to free towing up to 35 miles. While the AAA RV Premier membership is more expensive, at $165 annually, it entitles a member, among other things, to free towing up to 200 miles.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 01:32 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgentum View Post
I was not aware of the roadside assistance feature with AMA membership. To qualify requires a 3-year membership with automatic renewal, at $149, & entitles a member, among other things, to free towing up to 35 miles. While the AAA RV Premier membership is more expensive, at $165 annually, it entitles a member, among other things, to free towing up to 200 miles.

What is AMA? (in this context)

Ken
Old 08-21-2016, 01:55 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . We have the Good Sam roadside assistance & had never used it. . . until last month ! ! ! My TV quit pulling our AS up I-17 in the middle of nowhere AZ, &we called Good Sams 800 #. The twits on the phone were awful. . . It took an hour & a half & 4 calls to get them to assign a ticket to a service provider. . . as we sat beside the hwy in 100+ temps. . . once finally assigned the tow truck got there in about an hour & a half, and was GREAT. Pro driver, put my tv on the rollback, hooked the AS to the back & off we went. The closest place happened to be a small town Ford dealer (that's ANOTHER story) that was about 25 miles away. Had the folks at the call center been more professional it would have been a decent experience.. . . hey, you asked. . . . . . regards, Craig
Old 08-21-2016, 02:10 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
I had never in my life used AAA or any of them. My youngest started driving 2 years ago and I got an offer from AAA. I figured, for the price, why not. In the first 6 months his car was towed twice (accident and a stupid oil change mistake on my part) and he locked his keys in the trunk 150 miles from home.

He went overseas last year so I didn't renew but I did get the new rate offer in January; too high. They want to cover all 3 of us under the plan and for that I'll roll the dice. I would have to have 3+ tows to go over the price of a local tow. Or he can lock his keys in the trunk 2.5 times for the same price. He came home in June; so far no problems.

I asked about adding RV coverage and the price went up too much again. I'm pretty handy and resourceful, I've always been able to get myself out of a pinch with rope and bailing wire. As long as I'm still fairly fit, I'll do without. I might consider it in another 5 years or so.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 02:25 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Moss Bluff , Louisiana
I retired six years ago, and bought a 1976 25 footer, to pull with a 2004 GMC 2500. Had never had AAA or any of them, used the insurance company deal a couple of times. Right before I left on my first trip to Oregon, I bought AAA as an impulse buy one night. Traveling, a couple of months later, the brakes locked up on the trailer in Little America, WY. Panic set in, finally remembered AAA and called them. Helpful, they determined what was needed, and sent a flatbed truck and trailer within 2 hours, loaded truck and trailer, and hauled me back to a RV repair shop in Green River WY, who repaired the problem and checked the rest of the brakes. I figure the tow would have cost $1200 or so, best investment I have made in a long time. I figure I'm ahead of the deal for several years.
This last July, lost the transmission in my truck west of Denver, again AAA was there in a couple of hours, took it back to Denver to a shop of my choice. about a $300 tow. I guess if you drive a 12 year old truck and pull a 40 year ol AS like I do, it is a good deal.
bayoufrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 02:29 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
What is AMA? (in this context)

Ken
Never mind I found it.

I'm not likely to join the american motorcyclist Association.

They scare me because i'm a klutz and would quickly harm myself.

Ken
Old 08-21-2016, 02:55 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Good Sam worked for me!

I've USED Good Sam and got great service on both autos, truck, and trailer. AAA is problematic on a few several counts. 1) Towing distance limitations; 2) Penalty for, what they call, "over-usage" of benefit; and 3) Cost of plan. Good Sam will get your RV back home with less hassle and cost than AAA. I've NEVER been chastised for using the plan - NEVER!
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 06:16 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
that's a good way to avoid issues if you can afford to buy a new truck. (some 37K i guess) What is interesting is the air2go guys,, you know the ones that rent the SUV and the airstream, use coach net. So i guess if that is what they use it good enough for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I had Good Sam and still have basic AAA. But in answer to your question, my answer is Ford.

I have been with AAA for decades and can't remember the last time that I called them for my vehicle.

I got a good deal on Good Sam just before my Alaska trip and with an old high mileage 12 year old Lincoln, I thought it was a good deal. Renewal fees were too high so I didn't renew with Good Sam.

I bought a brand new Ford F-150 with factory extended warranty so Ford road side assistance will be my choice to call especially while towing.

AAA will be used for my Lincoln and my wife's BMW if ever needed.
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:31 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
I also was not aware of AAA roadside assist for the AS, I was told it wasn't offered 4 years ago. Sad as we had been AAA FOR 25 years. Went with Good Sam and have been relatively pleased. "Relatively" because we have argued about whether a shade tree mechanic listed as an auto repair shop in my town of 856 was qualified and had the diagnostic equipment to work on my TV. On another occasion there was no problem towing to my dealer 25 miles away. Go figure.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:20 PM   #19
Richard

2006 30' Classic S/O
Merced , California
Good Sam is excellent. I only broke down one time and it was Sunday. 85 miles east of Rapid City SD. Called Good Sam, told them my story. Within an hour they show up with a 1 ton on a flat bed tow truck. They disconnect my trailer and hook it to the 1 ton. Put my truck up on the flat bed. Ask: "Where do you want to go". Told them to take my truck to a Chevy or GMC dealer and my Airstream to the Rapid City Elks Club. They did as I ask and backed my trailer into a RV spot. On Monday the GMC dealer put a new fuel filter on my truck and I am good to go. Bottom line service was all I could ask for. Tip of the day, Don't buy Diesel in Murdo, SD at the Shell.
kleimanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:39 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Racine , Wisconsin
I didn't renew AAA when I found the Rv premium didn't include my boat trailer(with or without boat on it). Good Sam does. Got stuck with TT last winter and had good experience with Good Sam, on the phone and with tow truck driver.
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote