Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-18-2013, 04:09 AM   #81
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Great App Not Yet Mentioned

Maplets - This app allows you to download and store park maps normally given out at national, state, county parks, etc. Most are gps enabled so you can see where you are as you drive around the various parks. It works without internet access. You only need the internet to download maps beforehand.
Barefootdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Well, embarrassed to say this, but I just relented and I now have an iPhone..........I know nothing about apps. How and where do you "get" them?

Thanks so much.

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:38 PM   #83

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Cruiser View Post
Well, embarrassed to say this, but I just relented and I now have an iPhone..........I know nothing about apps. How and where do you "get" them?

Thanks so much.

Deb
Tap the "Apps" icon.

Don't feel bad. I upgraded in 11 from a Blackberry 8830. The kid at Verizon called it an antique. Had it four years. Still had the original battery in it.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:04 AM   #84
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Thanks Kevin.

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:17 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
gas buddy app

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
Tap the "Apps" icon.

Don't feel bad. I upgraded in 11 from a Blackberry 8830. The kid at Verizon called it an antique. Had it four years. Still had the original battery in it.
too bad blackberry was run by a bunch of idiots. They were really the best phone on the market 5 yrs ago but lost out to complacency.

I have to 2nd er....5th the GASBUDDY app.. its one of the largest used app on the planet for fuel prices and with the mapview you can see where you are and where cheap gas is close by..

I use the map on desktop view to see section on my route with lower cost gas.. Like going south from NC the area around Florence SC always has lower cost gas than most other place in NC SC and GA. I kinda map out my stops based on miles and gas prices.. but going to FL its put enough to get from Raleigh to Florence, (145 miles) and then to exit 3 or 1 depending on gas prices in GA before heading into florida.. you can find cheap gas around orlando you have to know where to look and that is were gas buddy comes in.

get the gas buddy app and you can help update prices as well.
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:19 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
Are there any modern navigation programs for Android or IOS anyone can suggest which carry bridge height sensitive routing directions? I'd love to see TomTom, copilot or Navigon add these capabilities!

Ian
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:06 PM   #87
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanPoulin View Post
Are there any modern navigation programs for Android or IOS anyone can suggest which carry bridge height sensitive routing directions? I'd love to see TomTom, copilot or Navigon add these capabilities!

Ian
Allstays Camp and RV App for IOS has low bridge heights. It's also a great app for locating rv camps and everything else of interestvto rvers.
Barefootdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:27 PM   #88
4 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
Dallas , Oregon
Reserve america has an app! Ted
the544man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:52 AM   #89
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post
I have to 2nd er....5th the GASBUDDY app.. its one of the largest used app on the planet for fuel prices and with the mapview you can see where you are and where cheap gas is close by.
Does GASBUDDY do the same for diesel prices?
Old 02-27-2013, 06:31 AM   #90
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Ridgefield , Washington
We use "Fuel Finder"....shows nearest stations based on Zip or "nearest", including Diesel, reg to premium. Fairly accurate.
Zigidachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:54 AM   #91
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
iPhone

My wife and I got rid of our iPhones. She dropped her iPhone 3S and damaged it so badly it could not be brought back to life. She was set to get an iPhone 5, which had been released about 6 weeks before her iPhone was damaged. After going to the AT&T store with no luck and then going to the Apple store again with no luck. Neither of them offered any way for her to have a temporary phone or any solution, but to wait until the iPhone 5 became available (estimated 3 weeks). She could not be without her cell phone, so she got a Samsung Galaxy SIII and could not be happier. I was due for an upgrade and looked at the iPhone 5, but do not like the tiny (narrow) screen. I also got rid of my iPhone 4 and switched to a Samsung Galaxy Note II and could not be happier. We both have all the apps we wanted and like the Samsung Android phones much better than the Apple products.

Dennis
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:59 AM   #92
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstalzer View Post
We both have all the apps we wanted and like the Samsung Android phones much better than the Apple products.

Dennis
So Dennis -- what are those Apps via Android you utilize the most or love the best?
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:28 PM   #93
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
We use google maps which were not available at first on the iPhone with ios 6. Gasbuddy, Airforums, Endomondo, Bloomberg Radio, Allstays and many of the same apps we used on the iPhone. In addition the larger screens are much more readable and I am responding right now on my Samsung Galaxy Note II.

Dennis
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #94
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
albuquerque , New Mexico
skyview

Disclaimer I know the young guys that created this app. But when I am outdoors at night and wonder what are those stars I am looking at its incredible. Show it to any budding astronomer.
joe3957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 04:49 PM   #95
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Waking up this thread to say that I just installed these two apps: iExit and The Next Exit to see which one would prove more useful. As long as you have internet access via your device and data to spare, iExit seems to be the most useful...and it's free. In day-to-day use, I'm guessing The Next Exit will offer the greatest accuracy, while iExit will offer the greatest precision.

The Next Exit:
The app is free, but you must have a paid subscription to use the app or the web version of the service. You could always just buy the book for the same price.

This app, like the web version, covers Interstate highways and a few major toll roads. It provides a comprehensive list of services on either side of the highway for any given exit. You start from a list of exits for the highway you choose and then drill down to the exit you want to know about. Best thing about this app is that it's really quick, and as long as you're driving on a road they cover you'll never accidentally get off at an exit with no services.

However, there is no detailed information such as operating hours, menus, price ranges, reviews, phone numbers, or anything else. There are no maps and thus no detailed directions to listed services. There are also no integration points with other apps you might have on your device, such as Yelp, Trip Advisor, Gas Buddy, Google Maps, etc. Depending how close they are to the highway, this may or may not matter.

So, while the app / service is incredibly comprehensive, it is at the same time quite basic. Ten years ago it would have been awesome. Today, it's useful and the simplicity of the app can be a boon, but it's far from amazing. To be fair, it may prove more valuable when an Internet connection isn't available, because the app still returns useful results quickly when my device is in Airplane mode.

iExit:
Price: Free (I don't know how they make money on this app / service, though it does want to push notifications and pull your GPS location.)

The app is very map-centric and requires data, which explains the GPS feed. Based on your location it brings up a map of the area and it's easy to see everything at any given exit, both on the map and in a list down the left side of the screen. Tap one of the listed establishments and you can learn more about it: phone number, their web site, directions via the map app of your choice, or a Google Street View, although that last bit didn't work as I expected. (I got no street view, just 1/3 of the screen opened Google Maps...not particularly helpful.)

This app also seems to cover more than just interstates. We have a very busy controlled access state highway near here, and it showed information for that road as well as for the local Interstates. So, while it's not totally comprehensive, it appears to offer better coverage than The Next Exit.

Just for fun, I put my device into Airplane mode while playing with this app. Without data, it will still locate you and tell you what's nearby, though it will only show the underlying map if you already have it cached on your device.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 05:08 PM   #96
1 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Brownsboro , Texas
We use Good Sams App and RV Parky to find RV parks. YP which is yellow pages. Also Trip Advisor and Google maps.
troy1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 05:36 PM   #97
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Classic
Camp Hill , Pennsylvania
I can't believe no one has mentioned Waze navigation app. it's the usual GPS but it also has very excellent traffic and road condition data. once saving us a wreck when it notified us of a extra large pothole. Highly recommended.
LyleRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 05:46 PM   #98
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . I have some great apps on my iPhone, many specific to our trip to Alaska & back. HOWEVER, they got very little use because A) the Verizon intl roaming plan was so restrictive for data use, or B) the campground/park Wi-Fi was so poor as to be useless, or C) No cell signal at all. We didn't get much use out of them on the trip at all. . . oh,well, live & learn, Craig
Old 09-01-2015, 06:15 PM   #99
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleRussell View Post
I can't believe no one has mentioned Waze navigation app. it's the usual GPS but it also has very excellent traffic and road condition data. once saving us a wreck when it notified us of a extra large pothole. Highly recommended.
I'm a Wazer and I've found Waze to be not only more accurate than my Garmin, it provides more detail. The only thing it can't do is multiple stops along the route. It's warned me of accidents, road hazards, police and slow traffic. It even offered a detour that saved me a half hour of being stuck in traffic on the Interstate. I wouldn't leave home without it. But it runs on my Android, is that off topic?
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:24 PM   #100

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
What's on your iPhone - great apps

Duolingo is my app of choice these days.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote