Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2010, 11:02 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Ponderay , Idaho
What's Not to Miss between Austin Tx & NC Beaches?

We're leaving for Austin TX in a couple of days and we're considering visiting friends in North Carolina (Carolina Beach) before we head north and then loop back home. I'm looking for suggestions on places to see & stay & things to do.

Leslie
Tincrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Round trip from San Diego, through Austin, to Carolina, and then back home? Wow, that will be a fantastic trip!

If you're taking a southern track along the gulf coast, then you might like to see the white sand beaches of the Florida panhandle (especially before any potential oil spill issues affect them). Those are my favorite beaches in the contiguous USA. The beaches include Pensacola, Fort Walton Beach, Destin, and Panama City Beach, among others I'm sure.

You could also go through New Orleans on your way, one of my favorite towns in the country.

Have fun and keep us posted on your trip!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Long horns

Was just outside Austin a few weeks ago,found this nice shot along the road.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	austin 002.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	388.0 KB
ID:	103415  
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
..well, I'm biased, but food/music in New Orleans, of course... if you don't get 'down' that far (and if you do, you'll want to swim/walk/fish those amazing FL beaches) , consider the blues scene in Clarksdale, MS & literary Oxford with a quick jaunt up to Graceland, you should also be passing near some gorgeous country in ARK/MO, great canoeing/fishing/hiking...
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:14 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Rick is being modest, New Orleans is a fantastic city. If you've never been, I'd say it's a can't-miss. If you have already been, then you know what I'm talking about.

Also, if you have any questions about things to do in or near Austin, there are several of us on the Forums who live here in the area and would be happy to give you some ideas.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:41 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Ponderay , Idaho
Thanks guys for the ideas, we originally wanted to leave at the beginning of May but we've been delayed so we're a little wary of the heat in the southern most places~you are right about the FL beaches, the pics always look amazing. We'll have to seriously consider New Orleans.

UT, we have 2 sons living in Austin/Round Rock area so they have introduced us to the music scene and my, the food is amazing. Last time we stayed at Pecan Grove which was quite an experience, this time we may do Old Settlers Park in RR just to be near the boys.(Or ???) Any other ideas for the area are appreciated.

Leslie
Tincrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:24 PM   #7
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
BBQ in Lockhart or Taylor. Stock freezer with sausage and other from same. Poches in Breaux Bridge, LA for their variations.

Alternative highways, such as 82 through Greenville, MS (Doe's). See Taylor Branch, Parting the Waters. Natchez Trace. Nottoway Plantation. Okefenokee.

Maybe the question: For what am I willing to stop? History, food, music . . . ?
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:43 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Wary of the heat...then head up to the Appalachians, Great Smoky Mountains, Asheville, Blue Ridge Parkway and so forth. Stop in at Virginia Highland Haven Airstream Park just off the Parkway for an overnight or how ever long you like. We've been up to 80F during the day and quickly cool down to the 50s or so in the evening. Have a great trip!
Old 05-28-2010, 07:49 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
BBQ in Lockhart or Taylor. Stock freezer with sausage and other from same. Poches in Breaux Bridge, LA for their variations.

Alternative highways, such as 82 through Greenville, MS (Doe's). See Taylor Branch, Parting the Waters. Natchez Trace. Nottoway Plantation. Okefenokee.

Maybe the question: For what am I willing to stop? History, food, music . . . ?
Hey Nottaway! Believe it or not, I was born and raised two miles from there where they put mint juleps in my baby bottle... (the name of the town is White Castle (LA) but one more recommendation I wanna make is for FRIED CATFISH almost anywhere in central or northern Mississippi...apparently, its a local specialty..I had them in 3 different places recently and they were fresh (not frozen) and excellent in all 3 joints...
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:10 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Crosby , Texas
If you are going the southern route stop a Foley Al and eat a Lambert's Cafe home of the through Rolls. If you head more to the north, turn north at Little Rock Ar. and find Mt. View Ark. If you love music this is the place to be on a weekend. The locals all turn out at the town square and play music late into the night. Take a lawn chair and enjoy and the drive is wonderful.
dghaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:46 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
I found many interstate exchanges around Austin all had their own little pocket steak shack restaurants - the town names are forgotten but a quick check is how many polished dually trucks are stacked up in the parking lots.

40 miles north of the Interstate up from Texarkana there is a Arkansas State Park "Crater of Diamonds" that might be a good distraction - the Park's camp area is closed for a couple more months for renovation but there are private campgrounds good for an over-nighter. I have five little diamonds I found there but I also worked my tail off for probably five weeks total over the years