Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2008, 12:20 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Tim,

Oregon is great! You will find many wonderful things to do and see. If you are going in the summer be prepared if you go along the Oregon coast. It can be slow and crowded. This year with fuel prices... who knows... but typically it is crowded. Well worth it, however.

Mrauch had great suggestions... Silver Falls is fab! You drive from Salem through farmland and think, there can't be anything out here... and then... Wow! The Air Museum is also wonderful! Any of the Oregon State Parks are good. They have nice facilities, take reservations, and are beautiful! If you go along the coast, even in summer it can rain or be foggy... Brookings is the local "banana-belt" and is usually warmer and sunny! They have a nice campground there as well.

What kinds of things do your kids like? What family activities are favorite? Might help on other suggestions. There are some great boating areas, or there is Ashland where you might catch a play. Crater Lake is beautiful and by this time the roads should be open.

I am sure you will have a great trip! The state of Oregon has some really nice brochures, books, etc. on places to go, routes to travel, etc. You might also check out this link: Travel Oregon

Here are the links we often use when traveling for camping in Oregon:State of Oregon: Oregon Parks and Recreation Department: State Parks
Oregon Campgrounds | Oregon Camping Sites
Oregon/Washington | Bureau of Land Management (BLM) | US Department of the Interior
GORP - U.S. Army Corps of Engineers - Oregon Projects

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson
My new blog: Yreka History
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 12:40 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Tim View Post
Thanks everyone so far, great info.

We have two weeks and no plans. I'm thinking of going up the CA coast starting in Eureka and then up to the Trees of Mystery then on up into Oregon.

Thats all my plans so far. Keep the info coming...!
Lot's of good ones already mentioned - Trees of Mystery was the one I was going to add, but I was remembering it in Oregon. It was a lonnng time ago that I was there .

Also hit the Oregon Vortex in Gold Hill, OR on your way north.

If you really want to go north, try the Selkirk Loop. Definitely a trip to remember. (Passports needed for the full loop).

JB
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 12:50 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Smith lake , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
George,

Tomorrow is the summer solstice and in 'The Gorge' it's traditional to participate in at least 3 sports........like a dawn patrol skiing on Mt. Hood in the early AM, then kayaking on the White Salmon river, then throw in either a road ride or mountain bike ride for an hour or two, then hit the river (Columbia....that is) in the afternoon for a quick windsurfing session if the wind gods are favorable. (that's 4.......but we stop counting after 3)

Then hit one of the several Solstice parties and dance 'till dawn.......

Sound good??
Lew, i can see i'd have trouble keeping up with you, lol.
mrchinup1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 10:07 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
The Columbia Gorge is great, the Maryhill State Park (Maryhill State Park (page 1 of 2) )a wonderful spot, hookups, showers, and a great place to watch the windsurfers. Go up the hill to Maryhill Museum, the house that Sam Hill built. Maryhill Museum of Art
Where in the Sam Hill? Oh yeah its there. Go a little ways up the road from there and enjoy some nice wine at Maryhill Winery. Maryhill Winery - Goldendale, Washington Destination Winery::Award Winning Wine I know they have concerts at their ampitheatre overlooking the gorge, on the weekends. July 4th is BB King. Then go back the other direction and look at the henge, Sam Hill built a replica of Stonehenge to honor World War I veterans. Last weekend they had a vintage car show and hill climb race, very cool.
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 10:17 AM   #26
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Also add the Mariner's Museum in Astoria, OR. Great for a couple of hours. You have to cross the Columbia River bridge at Astoria to go into WA and pray its not windy if you're pulling your trailer. It's four miles long and a good section of it is way up in the air to allow the barges and large boats plenty of clearance. Hope you love heights.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 11:02 AM   #27
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Actually, I'm in a private RV park with one site ...
now that's what i suspected...

and thanks for the info.

i had a feeling the sun was setting on the sunset motel rv section...

i've stayed all the state parks u mentioned but only for a night or so, and the noise IS impressive even 4 me.

bridgemart is ok too, but the wrong side of the bridge and no bike/pedestrians means thumbing across the bridge.

haven't tried the tucker road or hiway 35 spots (saw it on the way to sisters) yet but will next out this fall...

Quote:
...Anything in Washington?
well sure, everything that's not in oregon.

long beach, longview, mt adams, mt saint helens (THE VOLCANO BRO!) mt rainer, the cascades, the olympics, the hoh rain forest, port townsend, whidbey island, the san juans, lotsa STUFF in seattle, any part of puget sound, the wineries and breweries and the scuba diving and aeroplane stuff, and and and....

the issue is 2 weeks and an up/down route...

so u might wanna sort out what 2c n do on each leg and if/how much of it will be on i5 vs more scenic BUT MUCH SLOWER coastal roadways..

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 11:28 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Jim, Wink's Hardware moved to the SE side. Property got too valuable in the Pearl District. Still have lots of good stuff but the old hardware store atmosphere is gone. Progress, you know! Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 11:37 AM   #29
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
what about going up to Yellowstone, then back down through OR?

Any cool stuff on that route?

What is a good full hookup campground at Yellowstone.

This is starting to come together nicely!
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 03:21 PM   #30
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
I think we need a sub-forum under On The Road.... for attractions state by state.

I'm suggesting we make a Points of Interest sub category and then fill it up with a thread for each state. Then anyone can post a message of a POI for a state with a description, link, photos, whatever.

It would be great for trip planning.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:16 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Coast , Oregon
Oregon Coast - The Best!

Tim!
We live in the "Banana Belt" - Brookings, Oregon. The weather IS better here!
The beaches are great - not so crowded this year. Great camping at Harris Beach State Park - if it's foggy at the coast, just head up our Chetco River and camp at Loeb State Park. It's right along the river - nice park next to crystal clear water, great for swimming, floating, etc.

There's lots of great hiking on nearby sections of the Pacific Crest Trail - it'll take you to beaches that will yours alone- beautiful! There is a nice hiking trail near Loeb park on the river too.

The Port of Brookings has a nice boardwalk with shops, food and ice cream, and a nice coffee place with music on the weekend (evenings).

Gold Beach is about 26 miles north of here. It is a fantastically beautiful drive. Lots of places to pull over an look, hike, photograph... Gold Beach can be a bit more windy and cool though. I agree that the Rogue River jet boat trip is worthwhile - I would suggest the long trip. It actually goes into the "wild and scenic" sections of the wilderness area - gorgeous!

What can I say? Our "twinkie" is parked right now - but
when you live in paradise, that's OK too.......for now anyway!

Have Fun - Oregon is a great state!
K9s
k9s2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:27 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Which way?

Quote:
what about going up to Yellowstone, then back down through OR?

Any cool stuff on that route?

What is a good full hookup campground at Yellowstone.
Tim,
The route:
If you go to Yellowstone... which way do you want to return to Oregon? Several choices. You can go from Yellowstone up thru Coeur d'Alene and down thru Washington and into Oregon, or Up thru Missoula and down towards the middle at Lewiston, or the southern route to Boise and across part of Oregon. Some of the routes are just a lot of driving... depends on what you want to see. I guess I would suggest driving down the Columbia River Gorge if crossing from the North... very interesting and the terrain changes dramatically once you get to The Dalles.

If you go the more southern route from Boise you can drive Across to Bend (I would take Hwy 26 rather than 20 a bit more scenic...) Once at Bend then you would need to decide which way to go! Most of the "goodies" in Oregon are along the coast and the western half of the state. But I would suggest taking in Silver Falls near Salem... it is wonderful. (check out their website)

Camping in Yellowstone:

I can't remember if there are any full hookups inside the park or not. We have always traveled there and stayed places without any hookups. Big commercial places surround Yellowstone on the west at the town of West Yellowstone. Always horribly busy in the summer. If you go, make reservations. We've never stayed outside the park, it is at least an hour's drive to get to places we want to see, so we just boondock type camp. Hopefully someone else will chime in and give you additional info on Yellowstone. It is one of my favorite places. Last time we went we stayed at the Lodge at Yellowstone Lake. Stunning.

We have camped at Yellowstone and got reservations the same day we entered the park... but you need the phone number for reservations and call on the cell around 9:00 a.m. or so ~ before official checkout, but by the time many folks have left. We've had the same luck with lodge reservations. We also love the lodge at Old Faithful, except the heating system is old steam pipes and they are noisy at night!

Give us more info and I am sure folks will put in their 2 cents worth!

Have fun!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson
My new blog: Yreka History
Old 06-26-2008, 12:06 AM   #33
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
Tim, If you are going up the Oregon Coast your second night from the trees of Mystery should be the sand dunes at Honeyman State park near Florance. Fun for everyone, sliding down the sand dunes on cardboard, then walking back up!!! Also the tidal pools around Haystack Rock in Cannon Beach. A great little campground in Cannon Beach within walking distance of town is Sea Ranch RV Park.

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:32 AM   #34
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Thanks guys!

We are outside of Yellowstone now in the city of West Yellowstone. Our plan is to head from here up through WA then back down the OR coast and catch many of the sites in this thread.

I was looking for something between Yellowstone and WA and found Silverwood Theme Park. I debating that one. I think the kids would like it. Has anyone been there? Any good full-hookup sites?

Trailer and truck are doing great. Kids help up good for the first 900 miles ;-)

Tomorrow... Old Faithful!
Old 06-27-2008, 07:32 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Thanks guys!

We are outside of Yellowstone now in the city of West Yellowstone. Our plan is to head from here up through WA then back down the OR coast and catch many of the sites in this thread.

I was looking for something between Yellowstone and WA and found Silverwood Theme Park. I debating that one. I think the kids would like it. Has anyone been there? Any good full-hookup sites?

Trailer and truck are doing great. Kids help up good for the first 900 miles ;-)

Tomorrow... Old Faithful!

Tim -

Your kids will love Silverwood. We try to go at least once a year. There is a RV site across the highway that you can stay at. It's $29 a night, but we haven't stayed there, so I can't tell you how it is. We stay just up the road (about 5 miles?) at Farragut State Park. It's nice, a little cheaper, swimming, hiking, etc. Make sure and visit the Naval Training Center Museum on the park grounds also.
2001 Honda XR650R

Old 06-29-2008, 02:22 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Here's the swimming area of the State Park.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0228.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	534.0 KB
ID:	62983  
2001 Honda XR650R

Old 06-29-2008, 10:36 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Tim,

Before you begin your journey back... check the wildfire maps and webcams of the areas you want to visit... the wildfires and smoke here in California are really, really, really terrible. I am sure one needs an oxygen mask to drive down I-5... I don't know how bad it is west of here, but here in Yreka visibility is about 1 mile in smoke and haze.

Check this map: Wildfire Maps - Remote Sensing Applications Center

Mrs. NorCal Bambi ~ getting out of the smoke Tuesday!
Old 06-30-2008, 07:17 AM   #38
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Hey all,

We are departing Yellowstone today. We saw bubbling springs, my kids got to play in the snow, and we even saw a bear! Not to mention a lot of these guys in the photo.

We're heading toward WA today. Have not fully decided on Silverwood it is quite a haul from where we are. Thanks for the info.

Good idea about checking the fires in CA. We were glad to drive out of that finally. There was still a lot of smoke in NV believe it or not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tim_yellowstone.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	63013  
Old 06-30-2008, 09:45 AM   #39
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Hey Tim,

If you exit Big Yellow from the west and go south thru the Tetons, you will scoot right thru Jackson, WY. Awesome scenery on the way down.

If you happen to visit the town (very cute & Western), be sure to stop in and see a friend of mine at the New York City Sub Shop. The owner (Bruce) cooks up the best hot-on-the-grill subs you have ever had.

Be sure to say hi for me if you make it there!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:25 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Lakewood, WA in the summer and Boulder City, NV in the winter , WA / NV
Send a message via AIM to Rick56Safari
Things to see and do in WA

There is so much to do you may not have enough time.
Here is a random list of things to do.
Mt. Rainier National Park- Hiking, camping, visiting Paradise Visitor Center.
Mt St. Helens Intrepretative Center
ALL of Seattle- Seattle Center, Seattle Science Center, Experience Music Project, The Ballard Locks connecting Puget Sound to Lake Washington, The Seattle Art Museum, Boeing Field Aerospace Museum, The Interenational District, crusie to Blake Island, Cruise Puget Sound on Argosy lines
In Tacoma there is the Glass Museum, The Tacoma Art Museum, The Childrens' Museum, Wild Waves ( an amusement park)
The Seattle or Tacoma Zoos
Fresh water and salt water fishing.
Plus all our State parks are free many have full hookups
There is more to do here than you guys will have time.