Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-13-2018, 07:50 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
I tow with an suv and agree that you don't want to put a gas generator inside the vehicle or trailer. My Yamaha generator rides locked on a cargo carrier on my suvs front hitch. To lock the generator down I pulled the standard bolts from its rubber "feet" and replaced them with longer tamper proof bolts that go up and through the bottom of the steel cargo carrier. I also chain it from the topside just for the visual deterrent.
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:00 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973Argosy View Post
To lock the generator down I pulled the standard bolts from its rubber "feet" and replaced them with longer tamper proof bolts that go up and through the bottom of the steel cargo carrier.
That's a great theft deterrent! Just remember that a lot of science went into those rubber feet to isolate the generator from the platform, and modifying them increases the noise transferred through vibrations.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:04 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
That's a great theft deterrent! Just remember that a lot of science went into those rubber feet to isolate the generator from the platform, and modifying them increases the noise transferred through vibrations.
Sorry the rubber feet are still there. The longer bolts simply go through the feet. If I had removed the feet I wouldn't need the longer bolts.
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:26 AM   #24
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

A determined / prepared thief can get through any sort of tie-down you might use in under 10 seconds. You really can't protect against a pro. The weight of a 3KW Honda is by it's self a deterrent to the lazy. Grabbing it while walking by ... not so much. How many people are in the group you actually prevent from stealing the generator .... who knows. I doubt it's a big group. I'd still tie it down and cover it up.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:15 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
BTW, the 24 gal. Action Packer seems to be extinct. I shopped all over and couldn't find one (except at stupid pricing). Home Depot has the 35 gal. size, online, but it's not as easily moved as the 24 gal.
I wonder if Rubbermaid has ceased making them?

Update: Rubbermaid now called United Solutions?
I just bought 2 different size Action Packers at REI.
kiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:44 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Dungville next to Donkeytown , Alabama
I mounted a Hapco generator box to the bed of my truck (Picts) and the bike/trike has bolted tie downs in truck bed.

Btw - love the generator box, it dampens the gen noise and has an automotive fan to exhaust air out, so the lid can be shut while running.

http://honda.hapcoinc.com/store/generator-box-eu3000

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0474.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	316791Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0475.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	316792

You had me down as a damsel?
Darling, I'm the wolf.
Joannadannna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:48 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973Argosy View Post
Sorry the rubber feet are still there. The longer bolts simply go through the feet. If I had removed the feet I wouldn't need the longer bolts.
I get it. But once the longer bolts touched the platform, the vibrations now have a path to create noise. Remember, noise is a total of sound coming through the muffler, mechanical noise, like valve clatter, and vibrations shaking everything around it.
There's no perfect answer. Especially with air cooled engines which have looser tolerances, thus more vibration. If you could set the generator on a 1" thick rubber pad and it would get quieter, but that's not practical.
I'm not blaming you, I'd have done the same, maybe adding rubber bumpers under, and bolts with tamper proof heads. I'm just pointing out the difficult reality of noise.
Harley Davidson has the same problem, meeting noise standards, so they partnered with Porsche on a water cooled engine. Gasp!

Sorry, I didn't mean to sidetrack the thread.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:57 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
2010 20' Flying Cloud
Los Gatos , California
Get you a length of Pewag 3/8 chain and a Viro lock and you're set.
Bolt cutters won't cut the 3/8 four sided chain. It takes a while to get through the Pewag with a peanut grinder....
TerryC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:11 AM   #29
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryC View Post
Get you a length of Pewag 3/8 chain and a Viro lock and you're set.
Bolt cutters won't cut the 3/8 four sided chain. It takes a while to get through the Pewag with a peanut grinder....
Hi

I suspect it cracks quite easily after being doused with liquid nitrogen and tapped with a hammer. Much quicker and far more quiet than a grinder. Once you know what to look for, spotting LN tanks outside factories is pretty easy ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:28 AM   #30
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
BTW, the 24 gal. Action Packer seems to be extinct. I shopped all over and couldn't find one (except at stupid pricing). Home Depot has the 35 gal. size, online, but it's not as easily moved as the 24 gal.
I wonder if Rubbermaid has ceased making them?

Update: Rubbermaid now called United Solutions?
Amazon?

ActionPacker

The newer 2000i's may need to have the gas cap swapped for the older style or the lid warped with a heat gun to gain clearance.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 07-14-2018, 07:52 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
They don't alway have them available and this vendor is asking $57. Usually I see "Currently Unavailable". I even searched e-bay and found one for $20 Great, with $130 shipping, Boo.
Quote:
ActionPacker
"Not sold online by Rubbermaid". Believe me I've followed Google a lot of places.
A lot of links say "Not sold online".
I bought a 35 gal one from Home Depot for $57. But I prefer the 24 gal. The big one will be for extra hoses, ac cords, coax, planks, and all that stuff that got tossed into the front of the truck bed.
My point is, "If you see one, grab it!" They're light weight, waterproof, and the lid doesn't become a puddle in the rain.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:05 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Honda makes vinyl covers for the eu generators. Most people won't know what is under the cover. For added effect you can uglify the cover. Honda also makes a steel add on handle cover.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:22 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
We travel with a toolbox/footlocker type of box in the pickup bed when we bring the generator. The generator stays in there unless it's being used or cooling off. That box can be locked closed with a padlock, and then cable locked to the tiedown points on the truck. Not visible over the sides of the bed. Sure it won't deter a pro, but the sticky fingers types will move onto something easier.

While running the generator we use a bike lock to the hitch area or through a wheel. Again, just enough to show that you care.

We camp in busy campgrounds. If we were in remote areas and leaving things behind I might rethink to take more precautions.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:15 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
I don't know what you're pulling the AS with but if it's a truck, perhaps in the bed? Your question is why I finally decided on a foldable bike that fit beneath my locking tonneau cover.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:56 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwjumper View Post
This or something similar, or a piece of chain. Couple one or the other with a really good lock, government grade. Lock the stuff to something permanent difficult to move. That's about all you can do. All locks and chains can be cut. Just buy one that is robust enough to require power tools to defeat. The noise is the deterrent.

https://www.amazon.com/Lumintrail-He...ble+lock&psc=1
That is what I use, and lock it to trailer tongue. Bought it and a good padlock at Wally world. I lock both generators, hitch and gas tank for generators.
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:10 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Here is the Honda theft deterrent kit I use.

https://www.amazon.com/Generator-Det...heft+deterrent

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:30 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1993 25' Excella
Flagler Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
^
X2

Bob
🇺🇸
u think bob knows ???
AFTER TAXES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:55 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
one method I have read about (probably on the forum) securing when camped is to mount a metal plate to the base of the generator, with the plate extending out about 12-inches, then parking either the trailer or TV tire on the plate. Would be very difficult to take the generator with the weight holding it in place.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 05:09 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
New Ashford , Massachusetts
Big plus of running propane conversion. NO GASOLINE to deal with. We just put it in the trailer when we leave. No muss no fuss

We have a Honda 2000 and have never run gasoline thru it. I put a GenConnex conversion in it from day 1.

Joe D
Dexterpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:32 AM   #40
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Honda dual fuel conversion.

Plus for us...the ability to use LP or gasoline, whichever the situation calls for. Nice thing about our LP conversion is the ability to adjust the mixture for altitude compensation. 👍

Bob
🇺🇸