Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2016, 02:35 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mount Angel , Oregon
The Valley is beautiful, lots to see , many available short hikes. However, the grand beauty is in the back country. If you have the legs and lungs, the John Muir Trail is an American Classic. The grand scale and diversity of landscape are breath taking. It can be quite social in the high Summer months, to fairly empty in the early Fall. Some days, we never encountered anyone. It is the hike of a lifetime.

Susan
duncans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:57 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Santa Rosa , California
Yosemite is the jewel of the NPS. Its a must see IMHO.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:02 PM   #23
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminwild View Post
Why did they changed the Ahwahnee to Majestic? It's been Ahwahnee for almost 100yrs.
From a Google Search, "The Ahwahnee Hotel is now called the Majestic Yosemite Lodge. Yosemite Lodge at the Falls is Yosemite Valley Lodge. Curry Village is Half Dome Village. Badger Pass Ski Area is Yosemite Ski and Snowboard Area. And the Wawona Hotel is Big Trees Lodge."

Sounds like a push to grow Yosemite and associated attractions as a brand.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:22 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
The name changes are a copyright issue. The park service changed vendors. The prior vendor owns the copyright to the names of landmarks in the park and refused to relinquish that right. So the Park service was forced to change the names of said landmarks. Just the world we live in.

So don't say the word "Awahnee", if you do you're a law breaker.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:44 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
The name changes are a copyright issue. The park service changed vendors. The prior vendor owns the copyright to the names of landmarks in the park and refused to relinquish that right. So the Park service was forced to change the names of said landmarks. Just the world we live in.

So don't say the word "Awahnee", if you do you're a law breaker.
According to the newest food reviews, the new vender is disappointing a lot of people. Maybe the park service should go back to the old vender for namesake and better service. Thanks for the prompt responses PKI and kscherzi.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:50 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Glendale , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
Thank you all.

Exactly what I was looking for. We have done all of the others the past few years, Zion, Bryce etc. This time I thought we should venture further west were we never been with the trailer. I have an aversion to spending time in California but I will set it aside and visit Yosemit it sounds interesting.

Coming from the east towing a 30' Airstream over Tioga Pass with a Ford F-150 might be an adventure.
MomcatA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:13 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Jonathan and Stefanie who are doing the National Park Road Trip (59 parks in 52 weeks in an Airstream) just finished Yosemite and did a nice write up for the website.

WWW.thegreatestroadtrip.com

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:22 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Please don't be afraid of my home state. It is so vast & varied it can be almost anything you want it to be.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:30 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
SW , Colorado
Yosemite is a jewel of the NPs system with all kinds of fantastic scenery. We camped for two weeks in the park last fall and it was a wonderful experience except... There are very few campground spots in the park that will accommodate a trailer. If you are going during a busy part of the year, it could be impossible to get a camping spot in the park that will accommodate your trailer. If you go during a less busy time of year, finding a spot shouldn't be a problem but be prepared for campgrounds that are designed for tents, not RVs. Two of our hardest parking experiences occurred in Yosemite's campgrounds.
TwoSporks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:37 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminwild View Post
Why did they changed the Ahwahnee to Majestic? It's been Ahwahnee for almost 100yrs.

A copyright dispute with the former concessionaires. They wanted a million or so for the right to use the name Ahwahnee and a few others. The Park Service said, screw that, and changed the names. Now they are in negotiations, and I wouldn't be surprised if the old names are restored at some point.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:41 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Goodyear , Arizona
Highway 395 up the eastern side of the Sierra Nevada is one of the great US road trips. You can access Yosemite through Tioga Pass out of Lee Vining, which I would recommend as a day trip this time of year. Yosemite Valley in the summer is a zoo, but worth a day trip.
There are many wonderful sights to see and do along 395.
Lone Pine Film History Museum & self-guided tour
Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest, White Mountains, Inyo National Forest
Bodie State Historic Park - one of the best preserved ghost towns in the country
Laws Railroad Museum near Bishop
plus countless rivers, streams, lakes, trails, galore to explore
Coming from Flagstaff, 395 would give best access to Yosemite.
leap-baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:48 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
vancouver , Washington
Was planning on being there this coming Monday AM as we usually get lucky being the ones that never have reservations, but now I am beginning to wonder if this could be the first time based on the comments here. Ugghh!
WheelnStones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:32 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Nevada City , California
Think lucky but be flexible. You will find a spot. Basecamp even if it's just outside the park and explore.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
WaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:47 AM   #34
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Yosemite is one of the major NPS parks where the natural beauty is why one used to go there. Today it is one the great places to watch dumb tourists do stupid things. One of the best places to ask "Are you obtuse or just plain stupid".
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:47 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Largo , Florida
you don't deserve it

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
Thank you all.
Exactly what I was looking for. We have done all of the others the past few years, Zion, Bryce etc. This time I thought we should venture further west were we never been with the trailer. I have an aversion to spending time in California but I will set it aside and visit Yosemit it sounds interesting.
I have never said this before and have never seen such a comment.

you have an aversion to California? We don't need you. This is the most beautiful state in the Union and the people are friendly here. If you have an aversion to California, then don't come here. we don't need you. Coming with that attitude we don't want you. You don't deserve to be a guest in the most beautiful place in the world. Check your attitude in your closet and you're welcome.
eliyahu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:06 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Vicksburg , Mississippi
Quote:
We don't need you. This is the most beautiful state in the Union and the people are friendly here. If you have an aversion to California, then don't come here. we don't need you. Coming with that attitude we don't want you. You don't deserve to be a guest in the most beautiful place in the world. Check your attitude in your closet and you're welcome.
I can't imagine why some people would have an aversion to going to California.

Yosemite is great don't miss the chance to visit the place. It is truly a natural wonder. Kinda touristy but on the plus side very few Californians there.
Al Boondy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:18 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliyahu View Post

you have an aversion to California? We don't need you. This is the most beautiful state in the Union and the people are friendly here. If you have an aversion to California, then don't come here. we don't need you. Coming with that attitude we don't want you. You don't deserve to be a guest in the most beautiful place in the world. Check your attitude in your closet and you're welcome.

To the contrary, I welcome people here who may have "an aversion to California." Thankfully, the country is a big place with room for all kinds of tastes and preferences. Hopefully you'll find something you like in California. I think one thing we have in common as Airstreamers is a desire to see new country and try new things.

McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:12 PM   #38
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
vancouver , Washington
I love visiting California its a wonderful state. Perhaps the earlier comment was about the idiots who decide a selfie with a Bison, Elk or putting a baby Bison in the back of their car cause they thought it was cold, or trying to get close to an oh so cute bear and cubs. People need to learn wild animals are dangerous as it is. Unfortunately, was in Glacier NP and was about to take the dog on Half Moon trail the late afternoon on the same day the ranger was killed by a grizzly bear.
WheelnStones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:05 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliyahu View Post

Well lets see, you have governor moonbeam and give out driver licenses to illegals and have Sanctuary cities. The last time I was in SanFrancisco there was a shoot out between some Vagrants leaving one dead at the entrance of our downtown 4 star hotel. Mexico City was to only only other place I had a similar experience.
I have been to California a number of times and yes it is a beautiful place. But my impression is that per capita you guys have more crazies living there than any other state in the union and I say that having lived in and around Chicago for 50 years.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:09 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post
To the contrary, I welcome people here who may have "an aversion to California." Thankfully, the country is a big place with room for all kinds of tastes and preferences. Hopefully you'll find something you like in California. I think one thing we have in common as Airstreamers is a desire to see new country and try new things.

I can go and visit Yosemit without getting into any major cities. So I we are looking forward to it.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote