Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2018, 10:56 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
almena , Wisconsin
Shoulda Seen It Coming!

Especially something big enough to do THAT!!! In 30+ years of trucking I’ve been hit by a few things other than idiot traffic. Mostly birds. A pheasant, a seagull or two, an owl and a goose to name a few. Not to mention many 4 legged creatures. O yea, a thrown grapefruit! Every one of these, I saw coming even when it hit the trailer 20 to 50 feet behind me and most of these were approaching at 90°. Unless you were momentarily distracted by something, in daylight, you should have seen it. I did note that you were alone on open road. From the two impact points it looks to be part of a cinder block dropped from an overpass. Coming from above I do not believe you would have seen it but you said “no bridges” so that is ruled out. The Almanac said the last meteor shower was Nov. 17 - 18! Go back to that spot and find it! Could be worth a whole lot of money!!! Just throwin’ it out there!

Motor On!
mykytiukr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 11:08 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
I’ve seen all kinds of objects fly off of unsecured loads on pickups and vans. These include entire rolls of carpeting, tool boxes, coolers, ladders, and miscellaneous items.

Following a tragic incident where a book case flee into a young woman’s car in Washington State we now have a law that loads must be secured.

Might a truck have passed you on the left at high speed and lost an item while passing? Turbulance while passing could have been enough to dislodge an unsecured item.

Close inspection of any residue and close-up photos may help identify the item that collided with your AS.

We’re all curious.
WestieHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 11:21 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Olympia , Washington
And, someone lost their drone!
Old 11-23-2018, 11:22 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
So my wife corrected me on the pop sound. It was a thud not a pop like a tire. Don’t drive a pickup so nothing flew from the bed. On this return trip we came from near Ft. Worth and no trees near where we parked the trailer, wasn’t a campground but next to a house. So pretty sure the thud was when it happened. I did have a worker get on a ladder and look at it. No blood so wasn’t a bird or a bleeding bird. I pulled over about a half mile after the thud but because it didn’t spot the damage (was looking at tires not up at roof) so I didn’t try to investigate the scene.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 11:35 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Taking the OP’s description at face value, looking at the broad shallow config of the dent, and being familiar with the road in question, my best guess would be deer body. Maybe the thing leaped high when spooked by the passing vehicle and smashed into it? We are in rutting season, when deer do all kinds of nutty things.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 12:03 PM   #26

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Scott’s Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post
Was on the road back to Houston from Waco on HWY 6 when I heard a loud POP sound. Pulled over thinking it was a tire blowout but after a walk around every thing looked ok. Then after a dinner stop I saw this dent on the back side corner of the trailer. I was on the open road, no bridges, nobody along side of me then I heard it. Going the speed limit. Something just wham hit the trailer from the air.
Ant thoughts from the community?
Space junk, definitely space junk!!!
Rockford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 12:13 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Loveland , Colorado
What about something from an oncoming vehicle?

There's some interesting amateur forensics/speculation in this thread. It looks like rubber and mud in the scratches, based on the picture. You say you were not passing anybody, but could something have been thrown from a car/truck passing in the other direction? Maybe it's the race fan in me, but I'm thinking an errant bouncing tire from an oncoming vehicle.
zenman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 12:27 PM   #28

Edmonds , Washington
My guess a tire from a truck or a car going the other direction came off and flew or bouced across the medium. Maybe a truck tire recap separated and hit the trailer.
MorrieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 12:31 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Flying or bouncing tire seems most likely but had to be pretty high to impact the way it did
Old 11-23-2018, 12:45 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
A sample of the debri left under the rivet and imbeded in the skin would go a loong way here.
Is it bark? is it rubber? is it fur? is it???

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 12:53 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Just to clarify the location of these two dents . . .

From the marker lights being red, this is the rear street-side corner, right? Some of the comments seem to assume that this is the front curb-side corner IMO.

As already suggested, analysis of the residue would be good to know. What has your insurance company said? [BTW -- Suggest all correspondence with the company be via email.]

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:09 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
West Palm Beach , Florida
Meteor if no bridges
truffies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:18 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waco , Texas
That part of Highway 6 has no trees within 50 feet of the shoulder, and certainly none are hanging over the highway 6. Also, 18 wheeler traffic is abundant on that highway, a long with a lot of farm pickups. Most 18 wheelers secure their loads pretty well. The farm and ranch pickup trucks just make no effort at all. Perhaps a passing pickup lost some debris and hit your AS a glancing blow.
Martee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:33 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Both rear most edges of the dents have similar markings. I doubt this's was a two way incident
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:33 PM   #35
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martee View Post
That part of Highway 6 has no trees within 50 feet of the shoulder, and certainly none are hanging over the highway 6. Also, 18 wheeler traffic is abundant on that highway, a long with a lot of farm pickups. Most 18 wheelers secure their loads pretty well. The farm and ranch pickup trucks just make no effort at all. Perhaps a passing pickup lost some debris and hit your AS a glancing blow.
I hate to say I agree with this (as it’s likely correct),
and that I hate to see the damage.

I’ve had road debris damage to big trucks with impact higher off the ground than this.

Tire was my first thought. Piece thereof.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:55 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
What hit my trailer?

It is the streetside back corner, so something could have come from the left lane or they opposite direction across the median. 06 Safari 25 FB LE Insurance covers it minus the $1,000 deductible. Will ask the repair shop for their analysis on what the residue is. Should her first week in December.
Old 11-23-2018, 03:44 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Could it have been a deer?
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 03:44 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
That happened when you were stationary. Someone else observed the marks are forward and backward.
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 04:16 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lexington , Kentucky
Possibility.....you happened to be going under a bridge and either someone tossed a tire your way or a vehicle overhead made a donation from a blowout?
The Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 04:27 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too tall View Post
That happened when you were stationary. Someone else observed the marks are forward and backward.
Yep. The dent is on the rear street side. Whatever hit the trailer came from behind, dented and scraped the trailer for a foot or more from back to front, stopped, then reversed direction and scrapped the trailer from front to back.

The pointy end of the V-shaped scrapes point forward. That means whatever did this had to be traveling in the same direction as the trailer and going faster than the trailer. If it happened when the OP thinks it did, that means the object that hit the trailer was traveling at 60+ mph in the same direction as the trailer. I can't think of anything that would do that.

Nothing getting kicked up by the TV, from a vehicle in the lane next to the trailer, or the other side of the road would hit the trailer from behind with more speed than the trailer.

So, that leaves one of two simple explanations. It happened when stationary or moving backwards. If the OP is right and there was no damage before they hit the road, then it happened at the diner when the trailer was going 0 mph, and whatever hit it was probably going 2-5 mph.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote