Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-13-2017, 09:06 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
People don't want campfires near their glampers. They don't want the smoke smell in their upholstery.
Include me in that category.

I didn't look down on people with tents, I used to have a tent. Likewise, people in tents shouldn't thumb their nose at those who like beautiful places, but sleeping in comfort.
There's room for everyone.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:24 AM   #22
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

We spent a lot of years in tents. These days, it's *way* simpler to do in another way. We've driven past places full of Class A's packed 8 feet apart. Each time our reaction has been "we wouldn't stop there". We rumble down the road to someplace a bit more secluded. Better view, more shade, bumpier road .... works for us. So far I have never had a "shut in neighbor". We have seen, either barked at or been barked at, and interacted with all our neighbors. It's always been cordial and fun.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:02 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I didn't like campfires when I tented and I still don't.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:27 AM   #24
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Not every campsite is great, nor is every day sunny.

I've always liked this RV design as it isn't hard to tow, lasts about forever, and is pretty much all weather shelter (meaning I'm past the point being soaked and cold feels adventurous). Dry and cool the muggy air, or take the chill out.

Thus it doesn't really matter (one one level) where I am. I'm not forced by outside forces nearly so much.

I don't have to change the TT every few years, nor put up with an unsuitable solo duty TV.

A hike or a stack of books. Instant frozen food or gourmet prep. Star-gazing or Netflix.

But always a toilet and hot shower. (And a coffeemaker).
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:30 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
The only tv in my home is hooked up to a DVD player for the occasional movie. If a campground has cable or good reception my 9 year old gets to watch 📺. Camping is what ever you want it to be as long as your not annoying others.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:57 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

I think the worst change is the campgrounds! They have to accommodate the shiny monsters so they have that "parking lot" feel. How I hate having one shiny monster on either side of me on a flat pavement out in the sun. That's why we have the 16 sport and whenever possible we opt for state parks and natl parks and squeeze our butts into small wooded spots. We can fit where most can't. [emoji1303]
Big Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:25 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Hahira , Georgia
They tell me that they want to "feel like they are home". I do not understand!
Old 08-13-2017, 11:27 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Haute-Aboujagane , New Brunswick
I have been to two different campgrounds this summer both were very different. One was with in the national park (big wooded lots, electrical hookups but no water). In this park it seemed like everyone was always outside including nightime campfires.

Next park was open feild and full hookups. I hardly saw anyone day or night. We were the only fire at night.

I have been to both parks before and the experience was the same.

Park design may be the biggest influence on how people behave in each park. I also noticed that the bigger the camper is the less you see the occupants.
chrisetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:42 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
I didn't like campfires when I tented and I still don't.
I agree. I grew up in Colorado and now live in Durango. Every year I have to watch as millions of acres of my childhood memories go up in smoke due to careless campers.

When I was a kid, I loved roasting marshmallows and hotdogs over a camp fire but now with our drought stricken western forests I just don't think the risk is worth it.

As far as camping goes, it is still alive and well in Colorado. You can still hike a mile or so into the Weminuche Wilderness, set up camp, and never see another human being for days. But you will see Elk, Moose, Deer, Bear, and Mountain lions.

I don't even really consider my Airstream as a camping vehicle. I use mine more for travel. Camping to me is still, hiking and tenting.
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:43 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
these rigs are insane ! they even have entertainment systems outside of the bus, huge flat screen TV's and sound systems ... can you imagine being next to them ? so uncouth !!
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:45 AM   #31
Long time owner

2004 25' Classic
1974 25' Tradewind
1970 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Forrest City , Arkansas
Progression of camping over the past 72 years: tent, pop-up, converted Wonder Bread truck, 26' Argosy, 25' class C, 21' Airstream, 32' class A, 25' Airstream, 21' class C, and now a 25' Airstream. To me the best all around camper has been the 25' Airstream. It has all of the comforts of home plus allows me to enjoy traveling and enjoying the outdoors. I hate the fact that my days of traveling are rapidly coming to an end -- nothing ruins traveling like old age.
doctorlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:54 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The yahoos with the outdoor TV's and surround sound systems and lots of barking dogs drive me up the wall. When they are there all you here is loud music football games etc. When they leave they leave a bunch of barking yap yap dogs in the trailer that never shut up. It seems that camping has become an excuse to party and make as much noise as they can. That is why you go camping to get away from all that.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:56 AM   #33
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I always stay at pretty nice RV parks but there are always a number of people actually camping with wood fires, tents and all. Did that a lot in my younger days. It was a lot of work with me doing most of the work. Today I really enjoy "glamping". Don't think I want to go back.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:59 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Between Here and There and Nowhere , what have you got?
Funny how the guy with the 16' feels he's roughing it over the 20', who's over the 23, etc, ect. I don't have a microwave... try using a stove sometimes!
I thought we gave up roughing it when we donated the tent and bought an AS? Not turning on either of the TV's hardly sounds like sacrifice.
openroad118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:07 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Matches? You use matches?
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:10 PM   #36
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
Matches? You use matches?
Not anymore. Lighters with a long snout so no fingers get burned. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:17 PM   #37
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorlewis View Post
-- snip -- nothing ruins traveling like old age.
Maybe, but my grandmother liked to go places until the day she died. Self driving cars are going to make a big difference. Electronic sway control, if they ever get it right, will replace some hook-up challenges. Getting there slower is still getting there. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:23 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
Randolph , Vermont
Just returned

Pot Luck campfires, long walks (not hikes), sit and chats with strangers, cool swims in the pond, watching the big boomers slide by to the north of you after buttoning up the Airstream, Just returned. It still happens.
forfulltimin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:26 PM   #39
HCR
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Full time traveler
After choosing to be self-UNemployed in 2000, I tent camped for nine months in Colorado, NM, TX and Old Mexico. Tent gave out so I bought a trailer My Safari is my second trailer and I'm not going back, at age 70, to "camping." You go right ahead.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:39 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
In my younger days we traveled from California to Maine and all of the states in between. Also traveled across Canada from east to west and north to Dawson Creek. All our belongs were strapped to a motorcycle. Then I bought a trailer. One that I could tow behind the motorcycle. Now that was an upgrade. From that point on most things stayed dry.
Back in the day "bikers" were frowned upon. A lot of motels would not allow you to stay.
Today they are welcomed with open arms because people realize that bikers spend money.
How things change.
I don't miss sleeping on the ground under a picnic table or an overpass.
But those times are the most memorable.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote