Old 08-04-2020, 01:27 PM   #1
ncperrys

1976 25' Tradewind
Raleigh , North Carolina
Lightbulb Western US travel tips?

Can anyone recommend roads, campgrounds, sites etc to see in the western US? We will be traveling from end of September through October.
So far all we have are reservations in Yosemite for 3 nights (9/23) then we will go to Lake Tahoe, but after that there are so many choices!
Can someone give suggestions?
There are 2 adults, 1 teenage son and a dog.

We were thinking Colorado - the aspens are supposed to be wonderful, or Utah, or Oregon and Washington, Wyoming???? So many choices...

Home is Raleigh, NC so any suggestions on these areas are really appreciated!

calp360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 03:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I like the Belle Fouche campground at Devil’s Tower NM. In Grand Teton, the Gros Ventre campground.

Dismissive cat
n2916s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 03:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Depending how much time you have:

Utah Grand Circle:
*Zion
*Bryce
*Glen Canyon/Page, AZ
*Canyonlands
*Arches
*Capital Reef

Colorado:
*Telluride
*Ouray
*Silverton
*Durango
*Great Sand Dunes NP
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 03:38 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
I don’t know how crowded the campgrounds are but the Oregon coast is a beautiful place to visit. We really enjoy the Lincoln City area, but I’m not aware of a place that isn’t nice on the Oregon coast.
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:02 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Morgan Hill , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
I like the Belle FouRche campground at Devil’s Tower NM. In Grand Teton, the Gros Ventre campground.
For those doing a search.
kbmwrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:05 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
Western US travel tips?

We just finished the grand circle in Utah. Wonderful trip, just wish we would have had more time in each place. Stay in Moab for Arches and Canyonlands and take a side by side tour of Fins and Things and Hell’s Revenge trails with a guide. Dead horse point state park campground looked interesting. Also can’t go wrong with Grand Teton Gros Ventre, generator free loop. Was one of the best places I have ever stayed.
143pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:43 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
South , Texas
We enjoyed the loneliest highway in Nevada get the passport get the stamps and get a pin.
All fun.

2007 25' FB International CCD Solar
2019 Toyota Tundra
rd tighe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:42 PM   #8
ncperrys

1976 25' Tradewind
Raleigh , North Carolina
Thank you for these suggestions!
Old 08-04-2020, 09:45 PM   #9
ncperrys

1976 25' Tradewind
Raleigh , North Carolina
I have not figured out how to reply individually, but want to say THANK YOU! These are GREAT ideas and very helpful. I have my map out now and it is much easier now that I have recommended places to go. Thanks everyone!
Old 08-05-2020, 02:31 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Chula Vista , California
Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Park south of Yosemite. Largest (not tallest) trees on earth.
Drive through the Sierra foothills in the Gold rush country on your way to Tahoe.

Route of the volcanoes takes you to Mt Lassen, Mt Shasta, (both still active) and Crater Lake in Oregon.
Go north on Highway 89 from Tahoe to Lake Almanor in the northern Sierras. East to Susanville on 36 and then back west on highway 44 to meet up again with 89 between Shasta and Lassen.
Normally if traveling without a trailer, Highway 89 drives through Lassen National Park but the road is narrow, climbing within 1500 feet of the 11,000 foot summit. Thus the detour around the mountain.
There's a hiking trail to the summit of Lassen if you wish to leave the trailer at Lake Almanor and take a day trip through the south end of the park to the summit.

Crater Lake is a must see in Southern Oregon. Easy drive to and around the crater rim.

And check the websites of each National Park for Covid updates.
Oreg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:03 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
“West” is pretty broad but consider:

Northern route
From Yosemite, avenue of the giants up to Redwood NP. Stay at Trinidad CA great rv Park by the sea.
Along OR coast but avoid Portland like the plague.
Along WA coast to Olympic Peninsula. Olympic NP especially western coast is rugged and awesome.
Or skip OR and WA and go thru S ID to Yellowstone and Grand Teton NPs.

Southern route
From Yosemite to Kings Canyon.
Then across S UT to Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands NPs.
Then to Grand Canyon.

All these are awesome so you can’t go wrong. Pick one and save the others for next Trip (s)

Have fun and be SAFE!
Old 08-05-2020, 09:35 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2020 22' Bambi
Clayton , North Carolina
Hello neighbor,
We took a trip out West a couple of years ago. Spent 5 days in Gunnison, CO. Great fishing, pretty country. Small college town with some nice sites, we then headed over to tour a big dam named after President Hoover and saw a big canyon that was grand. Being Summer, both our A/C units stayed on Max!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:37 AM   #13

1967 30' Sovereign
1999 31' Land Yacht
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I agree with mpsgolf: The west is way too large to do anything but a quadrant of it in that short time. Pick a much smaller area and go for it!

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsgolf View Post
“West” is pretty broad but consider:

Northern route
From Yosemite, avenue of the giants up to Redwood NP. Stay at Trinidad CA great rv Park by the sea.
Along OR coast but avoid Portland like the plague.
Along WA coast to Olympic Peninsula. Olympic NP especially western coast is rugged and awesome.
Or skip OR and WA and go thru S ID to Yellowstone and Grand Teton NPs.

Southern route
From Yosemite to Kings Canyon.
Then across S UT to Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands NPs.
Then to Grand Canyon.

All these are awesome so you can’t go wrong. Pick one and save the others for next Trip (s)

Have fun and be SAFE!
Old 08-05-2020, 10:02 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
Sonoma , California
That's a lot to cover in 4-5 weeks

It sounds like you are driving out from Raleigh (is Greenshield's Tavern still there?) to at least Yosemite. Kudos for getting camping at Yosemite -- if you haven't been it is absolutely worth the visit.

Anyway, If you are driving out and back, you might be hard pressed to get up to Oregon and Washington. We did a 3 week loop from CA to Sheridan, Yellowstone, Glacier, Seattle, Oregon coast, Mt. Shasta, and back and that felt rushed. So, I'm thinking the Southern Route is probably easier and would consider what Steamy1 recommends. That said, Oreg52 gave you some good advice.

FYI, we just came back from Yellowstone and Grand Teton and, honestly, it did not feel that safe in this age of Covid-19. We stayed at Headwaters Ranch, just south of Yellowstone and it was nice but it was not easy to maintain a good social distance in Yellowstone -- plus there is a good bit of construction and road closure inside the park.

For Grand Teton, we camped at Jackson Hole Campground at Fireside Resort in Wilson and it was OK but we drove around downtown Jackson but did not get out of the truck. The place was packed with people with lines of people waiting to enter some stores/restaurants, many not wearing masks and not maintaining a good physical distance. I can understand the draw as Jackson Hole and the Grand Tetons are beautiful but and I know it is always busy but we are waiting to go back until after the pandemic is over.

If you go North from Lake Tahoe to towards Lassen, I can recommend Lassen RV Resort near McArthur, CA and McCloud is a neat little town near Mt. Shasta. Burney Falls can be a fun place as well. Lots to explore in this general area and the times we went there, it did not feel too busy.

If you do make it to Oregon, I can recommend Sea Perch RV Resort near Yachats on the coast.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide.
chipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:19 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Morgan Hill , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
I like the Belle Fouche campground at Devil’s Tower NM. In Grand Teton, the Gros Ventre campground.
Belle FouRche campground

is CLOSED.....FYI
kbmwrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:01 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
Colorado

I would check out at least some of the Utah parks, then head for Colorado. It’s not far to Colorado National Monument, then Black Canyon. Either Mesa Verde or Hovenweep National Monument in SW Colorado. I enjoy Creede, CO and it’s not too far from Creede to Bristol Head USFS campground. Farther east are Great Sand Dunes NP and the Spanish Peaks area. So much to see; so little time. I love Colorado, especially the high country in the summer.
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:44 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
almena , Wisconsin
If you get through Reno checkout Harrah’s Auto Museum!
mykytiukr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 01:54 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Cameron Park , California
Calp360
John & Roberta here

We were advised DON’T BUY NEW. (“Let first owner turn up the loose screws.”) So, we poked around and came up with a 2108 Flying Cloud 30RB, and set out on a six-week Shakedown Cruise—6,000 miles in eight western states.

There are tons of wonderful places to visit in the West. Tons! Missing from the lists of your respondents is California’s Highway 395, the stretch taking in the eastern Sierra. We pulled into Lone Pine’s Boulder Creek RV Park and used it as a base from which to explore a good half of the eastern Sierra’s “high” points—Kennedy Meadows, Owens Lake Reclamation, Whitney Portal, Alabama Hills (Mobius Arch early AM), Mt. Whitney Fish Hatchery, Onion Valley, Sabrina Lake, White Mountains (Shulman Grove), Downtown Bishop.

What you’re going to run into in the West are some serious highway grades, up to 10%, but lots of 6%-ers and 8%-ers. We are a mountainous region, no escaping it.
John & Roberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 02:18 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmwrs View Post
Belle FouRche campground

is CLOSED.....FYI

Sorry to hear it. Beautiful place.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 03:32 PM   #20
Toaster Life

2010 23' International
Tucson , Arizona
So here are some of our favorites, but we are boondockers so rarely have power.

Perennial favorite Frutia campground at Capitol Reef, we find there is enough to keep us busy for a week

New (for us) sinks Canyon near Lander WY , lovely sites backing on to a raging river that literally sinks into a cave and appears as a quiet pool 0.5 miles down the hill.

Great Basin National Park in NV and also Craters of the Moon (amazing volcanic park ) in ID. We liked the campground ad Devil's tower and if you go there lookout for the nearby Buffalo Jump.

We prefer the quieter National Parks as we find them a better experience than the busy ones.

Toasterlife is offline   Reply With Quote