Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-22-2021, 11:17 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
South Burlington , Vermont
Western States Newbie

We've had our 22FB with Tundra TV for four years, but only trailering in New England. Now we are on month 4 of a 9 month adventure around the country. Two things I'm finding out west that I'm not experienced with:

1. Driving down mountain passes - yes, I've read forums and watched a few videos. Our first serious one, I was practically standing still when we started down the pass, and yet, by the time I had to really hit the brakes the first time (going only 55 or so but gaining speed) the entire truck shuddered violently as I tried to slow us down. Did I wait to long? I was trying not to "ride" them. Are my rotors already warped? Should I put the Tundra in 3rd gear right at the top? I'm in tow haul mode but is that supposed to help down shift it automatically?

2. Not much shade out in some of these states so I want to use the awning. We obviously don't put it up when it's really blowing, which is a lot, but even the slightest breeze seems to balloon it up and threaten to rip it off (at least my wife thinks so). How much can a zipdee take? Is it designed for these minor gusts that never really stop?

Thanks for input!
TomPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 11:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I downshift to third at the top of the pass. If it's not enough, then into second.
Lynn
Old 04-22-2021, 11:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Welcome to the west!

I can try to help with your questions. Driving down mountain passes can be scary, especially when it's wet. I think that slowing down and sticking to the right lane is the way to go. I generally put the truck in a lower gear right as I start down the hill, with the ability to adjust up or down a gear as needed. It's smart to avoid riding the brakes. I apply the brake as needed to get speed under control, but then let the downshifts do the work. I haven't experienced the shuddering issue that you describe. It might be worth getting your braking system checked.

The wind question out west is one that's fresh on my mind, having just returned home from three weeks in Arizona and New Mexico. My experience was that it tends to be calm in the morning, and the winds kick up in the afternoon. I put my awnings up in the morning, and leave them up until I can feel the wind moving the trailer around a bit. I then tend to put them down until the winds clam down again late in the afternoon. I did make a mistake and leave my screen tent out in strong winds in New Mexico last week, and it was damaged by the strength of the wind. I don't know how to specifically measure or guide you on how much wind that the awnings can take, but again, once it starts shaking the trailer a little bit, I put the awnings down.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote