Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2017, 09:43 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Western Cascades - Camping Options

***This is the companion thread to my “Olympic Peninsula - Camping Options” topic to keep responses better organized.

My wife and I are looking to collect some camping locations, both full hookup and boon docking in the Western Cascades. We live in Seattle and would like to be able to go camping at least 2-3 times a month all year long. During the winter months we plan to focus on travels in western Washington and the Oregon Coast. We’ve spent lots of time hiking and exploring but haven’t paid attention to RV camping spots, since we’ve never had an RV.

Any tips you can provide are greatly appreciated!
ijoe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
We highly recommend GilGal Oasis in Sequim WA.

Small 28 site park 0.5mi from the center of town.

It's the only park I've been to that offered an 85 Mbps DSL line as an option to WiFi.

It is extremely neat and clean, and the owners are very friendly.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 01:20 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
We highly recommend GilGal Oasis in Sequim WA.

Small 28 site park 0.5mi from the center of town.

It's the only park I've been to that offered an 85 Mbps DSL line as an option to WiFi.

It is extremely neat and clean, and the owners are very friendly.

Thanks for the tip!
Old 07-28-2017, 12:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
Our favorite spot is Cape Disappointment State Park at the mouth of the Columbia, the SW most point in the state.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 01:20 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Camas , Washington
we have stayed here nice park

https://highwaywestvacations.com/pro...accommodations
Pams72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 04:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
We've spent a lot of time on the OR coast, and I can recommend the following:
1. Fort Stevens State Park, near Warrenton/Astoria.
2. Nehalem Bay State Park, near Manzanita/Nehalem.
3. Beverly Beach State Park, north of Newport.
4. South Beach State Park, south of Newport.
5. Bastendorf Beach County Park, near Charleston/Coos Bay.
6. Sunset Bay State Park, near Charleston/Coos Bay.
7. Bullards Beach State Park, near Bandon.
8. Harris Beach State Park, near Brookings.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 05:17 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Oregon has some of the best state parks in the country, many on the Coast. In addition to the great suggestions from Rgentum, I'd also recommend Cape Lookout near Netarts.

Winter is a fine time to go, as RV sites are almost always available. Quite often you get milder weather than inland, and when you don't (cold fronts and winter storms) the wild ocean is a sight to behold.
Old 07-29-2017, 05:52 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
We’ve driven down the 101 on the Oregon Coast and enjoyed the scenery and little towns very much.
Old 07-29-2017, 05:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgentum View Post
We've spent a lot of time on the OR coast, and I can recommend the following:
1. Fort Stevens State Park, near Warrenton/Astoria.
2. Nehalem Bay State Park, near Manzanita/Nehalem.
3. Beverly Beach State Park, north of Newport.
4. South Beach State Park, south of Newport.
5. Bastendorf Beach County Park, near Charleston/Coos Bay.
6. Sunset Bay State Park, near Charleston/Coos Bay.
7. Bullards Beach State Park, near Bandon.
8. Harris Beach State Park, near Brookings.

Only to add Beachside SP and adjacent Tillicum Beach CG (NF???) just down the beach. Beachside is a Small SP and is small family CG that has been a favorite for Oregon families for years, so check ahead. Tillicum may be first come FS'd. Further S Umpqua Lighthouse SP. Small so check ahead

also http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ml#post1759724

having lived on the Sonoma coast for 20 years (certainly biased) and since I'm the west coast travel links folder anyway....just in case you're heading eventually via HWY 1 in CA

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ighway-1-in-no

Mendocino to Ft Ross is absolutely beautiful and possibly the most hiking accessible on the whole CA coast. Check out Salt Point SP/Gerstle Cove SP just N of Ft Ross. Best coastal hike on the west coast (IMO)

Happy trails

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 06:05 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eugene , OR
Oregon coast

My daughter and I made a summer trip for her birthday last year. We rented yurts at the 3 parks below. Did not stay with an RV but a lot of other people did! South to north, starting near Bandon:
  1. Bullards Beach state park. Large, nice, busy. We rode horses on the beach at Bandon. Do not miss the Creamery downtown. Moderate $ lunch at Edgewaters, Spendy $ brunch (worth it, plus view) at Lord Bennett's.
  2. Wm. Tugman state park. Smaller, quiet, great hosts last year.
  3. Umpqua Lighthouse state park. Large, nice, busy. Drive into Winchester Bay and eat at Griff's. Appearances are deceiving.
KellyAndersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:30 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Everett , Washington
We've enjoyed Lodgepole campground on highway 410. It's the first campground going west after you summit Chinook Pass. Several sites are right on the American River. The sites are fairly spacious and paved. Weekends the campground is full but during the week it is a near ghost town. There's tons of nice hikes nearby if it's hot go back over Chinook to Mt Rainier. If it rainy on the west side stay on the east side of the mountains and enjoy the sunshine. We live in Mill Creek and it's about two hours to get there through Black Diamond and Enumclaw. We were there the week of July 4th it was in the mid 80's but there was a nice breeze.
FC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:47 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC Mike View Post
We've enjoyed Lodgepole campground on highway 410. It's the first campground going west after you summit Chinook Pass. Several sites are right on the American River. The sites are fairly spacious and paved. Weekends the campground is full but during the week it is a near ghost town. There's tons of nice hikes nearby if it's hot go back over Chinook to Mt Rainier. If it rainy on the west side stay on the east side of the mountains and enjoy the sunshine. We live in Mill Creek and it's about two hours to get there through Black Diamond and Enumclaw. We were there the week of July 4th it was in the mid 80's but there was a nice breeze.

Thanks. Mid 80’s and a nice breeze sounds great. Are the sites reservable? I feel like every time we’ve camped in the Cascades or Olympics in the summer, we’ve had to reserve a spot weeks or months in advance. During the winter, we’ve tended to shy away from going deep into the Cascades to avoid snowy driving conditions.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:47 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Everett , Washington
Yes they can be reserved. Google Lodgepole Washington camping not California. Might still be some openings especially during the week. Probably pretty hot there now. When we went in July some of the hikes at the summit of Chinook Pass still had snow. Lots of awesome hikes in the area. WTA.org is the best resource I've found for hiking in the Cascades.

On the coast. Kalaloch on the Washington coast in September or October is the best.
FC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:18 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
Camano Island , Washington
Fairly close for you is Camano Island State Park. A couple weeks ago I drove through mid week and there were many sites available. Not all of the sites will fit a large trailer or RV, but they are many that will. In fact there was a 25 foot AS in one of the sites. I'm not sure that this park takes reservations.
Camano20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:43 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camano20 View Post
Fairly close for you is Camano Island State Park. A couple weeks ago I drove through mid week and there were many sites available. Not all of the sites will fit a large trailer or RV, but they are many that will. In fact there was a 25 foot AS in one of the sites. I'm not sure that this park takes reservations.

This sounds like a good area to check out. We’d like to be able to easily and quickly get away on a Friday afternoon and return on a Sunday evening during most of the year.