Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2019, 10:30 AM   #41

Newtown , CT
I have traveled east to west and back 3 times, we like KOA CG and we also overnight at walmarts that are open 24,7, they also allow access to wifi . Rest stops for the most part are transeints and have the possiblity to be risky at best for overnights, also Cabelas are good places to stay overnight. Handguns need permits shotguns do not. I personally always carry along a Honda generator., for boondocking just in case. I like my K Cups. Good Luck and have a safe trip
Porky domblk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 10:37 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Traverse City , Michigan
If you stay at the Nashville KOA they (like I’m sure many) have a shuttle available for downtown. More than worth the $10.
Old 05-05-2019, 11:23 AM   #43
1 Rivet Member

Brandon , Mississippi
From South Florida truly hug the west coast, then pick up Hwy 98 going north at Homosassa and stay on it to Rosemary Beach. Take 30A for 20 or so miles till it joins 98 again . Continue on 98 to Navarre Beach then ride Hwy 399 along beach for it's 20 miles, then back on 98...to Pensacola. Naval Aviation Museum there is a must. Blue Angle Parkway, then Gulf Beach Hwy will take you to Big Lagoon State Park (pretty good RV sites). Experience the entire "Redneck Riviera" in LA (lower Alabama) down 292/182/180 from Perdido Key to Fort Morgan. Take 30 min ferry ride across Mobile Bay to Dauphine Island. Find Hwy 90 about 20 miles to the north (via 193/188) and enjoy it's route to New Orleans. Get to Natchez, MS slowly by any number of routes (extremely interesting scenery, cultures, food, history on that trip, then Natchez Trace to Nashville. Stay there as long as you can. RV campground Seven Points on Percy Priest Lake is nice (get a waterfront sit) and the city is amazing!
epsudduth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 11:26 AM   #44
1 Rivet Member

Brandon , Mississippi
And it'll take you right by your cuz in Slidell!!
epsudduth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 12:07 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
1978 31' Sovereign
2000 31' Land Yacht
Tampa , Florida
Ne montana

Suggest leave 2 in Glasgow mt. Buy your official "middle of nowhere tee " shirts at county Museum on edge of town. Large tipi of elk hides, very extensive history museum. enjoy dinner/lunch and craft beers. Then head south to ft. Peck and camp in luxury below the dam. Enjoy dinosaur museum, the river, the lake itself. Animal refuge in town of ft. Peck and buffalo herd. Summer theatre also. Return to Highway 2 via Nashua so you can enjoy the river valley.
candyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:10 PM   #46
1 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
San Juan Capistrano , California
Tundra

I have a 2015 Tundra and have made 2 west to east coast trips with my 23ft AS. Never a Tundra problem and enjoyed both trips. We try and stay off the Freeways and enjoy the back roads (hwy 2 is a great drive).
Enjoy
Villwocksbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:21 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Clackamas , garyburke
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddyGrn View Post
Sounds like a great time! I would also recommend not making reservations ahead of time, unless you will be in a area near a popular Nat'l Park, then maybe a short time prior, or think about alternatives. I also recommend the All Stays app.... a few others we use are: IExit (pitstop finder); Gas Buddy (finds prices via your location); Campendium; Roadtrippers; Harvest Hosts; USFS and BLM Campgrounds; and Forest Maps. The Forest Maps app is awesome to help find boondocking sites. If you go online to each individual National Forest area (by name) website, look under maps and publications you can download all the maps and then look for the Motor Vehicle Use Map for that forest area. It will give you all the information for boondocking, a map of the roads and which ones you can drive on, etc. some of the forest areas will even mark the boondocking sites, others will give directions like, no more than 300 ft from the road, etc.

If you especially prefer full service campgrounds, then I would look long and hard at what is out there. We had a Reserve America membership, but never used it, but we prefer to be more out in nature.

Take lots of photos and also get a good weather app on your phone, and watch out for hail and other nasty weather issues. Keep an eye out on forest fires as well!
Thanks for the excellent info, CaddyGrn! I'm still trying to convince my wife its ok to take the AS off the pavement ... But I'm still going to download those FS maps, just in case!
gary1burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:24 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Clackamas , garyburke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villwocksbj View Post
I have a 2015 Tundra and have made 2 west to east coast trips with my 23ft AS. Never a Tundra problem and enjoyed both trips. We try and stay off the Freeways and enjoy the back roads (hwy 2 is a great drive).
Enjoy
Thanks, Villwocksbj!My hope is to do exactly that, stick to non-FWYs, anyway. Looks like your Tundra is Red. Same here! Love the truck! Safe travels!
gary1burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:41 AM   #49
1 Rivet Member

2008 34' Classic
Palm Springs , California
We, too, are traveling West to East in our 2008 AS 34’. Left April 18th and plan to be back in Southern CA late July/early August. We had certain milestones, so we made SOME reservations. Tried to stay off the interstates. In Arkansas, for instance, there are more 18- wheelers than cars! And they have NO speed or lane restrictions. Austin is a must see. Stay at the Pecan Grove RV park. Full hook-ups, very reasonable $$ and, best of all, walking distance to many restaurants & shops. Even downtown, as the park is right across the river. Needed to be in Nashville by May 3rd for my hubby’s Nursing conference, so put some 300 mile days in - I prefer to stay under 250 in a day. Also made reservations for the 2 holiday weekends - Memorial Day in Rehoboth, Delaware and July 4th weekend in Wells Beach - near Ogunquit - Maine. The way back is unplanned and weather conditions will likely dictate our route. We don’t do firearms, so no advice there. Be advised, if you travel through Western Texas and are within 100 miles of the boarder (El Paso, for ex.), expect a checkpoint for “driver’s license and insurance” (read: brown people!). It’s galling and smacks of Nazi Germany asking to see your papers, but just smile and cooperate unless you want to be detained for hours. Enjoy your adventure! I’m sure enjoying mine!
EddyBearPS is offline   Reply With Quote