Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-19-2021, 10:54 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
almena , Wisconsin
More Fees!

Ya know…..The $21 probably would not have made a difference whether you pre-paid and stayed there or not if told up front. The fact that they have to stick it to you after your plans are made and have arrived is really bad business. If you had paid the $21 up front, by time you got there it would have been forgotten about and fully enjoyed your stay. Instead, you were stewing about it the whole time! Understandable!!! Make sure you post this on Google Reviews also! I believe more people read these than anyone realizes! Facebook also!
mykytiukr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 11:14 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It’s the “gotcha” factor that is distasteful, whether that is a campground, a medical provider or whomever.

They should disclose up front all fees, in my opinion.

And a $21 resort fee is pretty substantial, to me, tho not necessarily a make or break fee.

It’s having it tacked on and then being simply informed you are paying it that is the issue.

Maggie
Old 06-19-2021, 11:17 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2000 30' Excella
GTA , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by civeng99 View Post
Or use the pool, the basketball courts and what not, have fun and happily pay an extra 20 bucks.
So to be clear

Add the fee if you want to add the Fun Package. Agreed.

Keep the rate for a basic site.

We traveled a few years ago to Nashville and were kind of new to RVing, camped for 50+ years. And we paid about $69-120 USD a night, we never used the bouncing castle, water slide, mini putt, hot tube pool. But like I said were new the RVing.

Now we Camp with out RV at state parks and Provincial parks with Electrical hook up only. And can go without power for 3-4 days

We booked a route using KOAs
#4286 Stella the 2000 30ft Excella/Classic - Tow Vehicle - 2020 GMC Denali 1500 Duramax 3.0l Diesel, ProPride3 WDH.
previous tow vehicles 2012 Mercedes Benz GL350d - CanAmRv.ca hitch Reinforcement, 2005 Ford F150 Lariat 5.4L
Ultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 11:43 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
Ok, if you were to stay there every day for ten years, it would add up to, at $21.00 per night, - $76,650.00. At that point, it becomes a question of 'how much"? Money's Flyin' at the KOA!
Old 06-19-2021, 02:13 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Montana has no sales tax and their property taxes are low, so . . . they have to get additional revenue by other means. Resort fees would be one way to do that.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 05:02 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcc75 View Post
They should disclose all of their fees up front. That much I think we can all agree with. But.... this is arguably one of the nicest KOA’s in the county. If I could even get in the park, and am already paying a premium for what this park has to offer, then the extra $20 is really a non issue.

agreed but the deception really left a bad taste in my mouth. It's a premier resort, they didn't have to be sneaky
Old 06-19-2021, 05:04 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson3798 View Post
This isn't worthy of a "warning". From your comments it's a great park and you didn't read the fine print. They did nothing wrong.

There was no "fine print." It was hidden in cryptic language.
Old 06-19-2021, 05:09 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcc75 View Post
If a particular area is considered a ‘Resort’ then all of the venues in that area can charge a ‘resort fee’. I’m sure part of that goes to the local government but I was told that part goes to the resort as well.
We have stayed near Big Sky, Montana several times. It is designated as a resort area. If you look at your receipts after paying for anything there, including renting a home/condo, skiing, eating at a restaurant, buying merchandise, booking a guide for fishing, horseback riding, etc, etc.... then you will see a ‘resort fee’ added. I’m sure this is the case with other areas in other parts of the country as well. However, Montana is a state that does not have a state sales tax.
So this is how their govt. collects revenue from these areas.

No, that's not what they said. Non disclosed resort fees were being used to support the cafe, and ice cream parlor. The point is I'll pay for quality without complaint. To drive almost 900 miles and looking forward to this place, then getting hit with a surprise resort fee dampened the experience.
Old 06-19-2021, 05:11 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Information like this should be put on "campgroundreviews.com" as a formal review. It's important people know . . .

It is and also on campendium. A few other sites too. Anyone can go there but should be informed.
Old 06-19-2021, 05:34 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Work out something between Lakeside, Somers and Kalispell, Montana. There are NFS campsites to the West of Flathead Lake. Used one in 2007. Local kids would go there to have a party. The Camp Host chases them off. I was towing a 23 footer.

On the West Side of Flathead Lake is an excellent camping area run by the State. Big Elbow or something like that. Probably reservation today, but they would have those dropping in and get a spot on the pebble beach. Water is FINE.

Swan Lake has some good campsites and you drive to Glacier. Nice and you are on the Lake. Paved road is narrow but I saw RV Buses parked near our 23 footer. The campsites are State (I believe) and on the East Side of Swan Lake. Should be on a map... if not, ask questions. We liked it. Which is not our choice of remote camping.

If anyone is planning to going that way... look around for a place as you get closer to Kalispell. Best North of Kalispell as it has become a huge metro area .

If you must have hookups and power... hold your breath. There are hundreds of RV's coming that will pay to get your spot. I found huge RV Buses driving through the Park and exit on the East Side. Since I use to live there... we would go somewhere else. Seen all of the Snow and Water living there.

The Deserts were just fine. Lots of parking. Clothing optional. No snow drifts alongside the road to stuff into your cooler, but after a NW Montana winter... heading South for us and leave the KOA and other pricy camping to others.

Photo is 'Great Elbow' on west side of Flathead Lake. Check the 'elbow'.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2064.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	689.0 KB
ID:	397764  
Old 06-19-2021, 08:44 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Great county park in Zurich, MT. $10 hidden gem about 1 mile off the highway. Just did a review. No resort fees!
Old 06-20-2021, 08:38 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Talked with KOA Glacier

I called KOA Glacier, since we frequent Glacier in summer, and I wanted to get the scoop from them. Turns out, this "is" a new fee, which they are now starting to charge at some KOA's this year. Person I talked with said she did not think it was fare, and would not enforce if the customer complained at check in, because it is not on the website. Also said she would voice our "Airstream Forum" displeasure to KOA management...(what ever good that may do!) I use KOA maybe once or twice a year if I can not get into other CG's.. IMHO, $20 is not the issue; it's that it is not posted!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 08:52 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
I was wondering if it's the same as the "room tax" in many states at hotels. They don't tell you about that when you ask about room rates either,
I think it's more like the "Dealer fee" that's added to new car stickers. I've even seen it called 'ADP' or additional dealer profit.
They're riding the wave of demand and making what they can. I'll bet it's still not up to Blue Water Key Resort in Key West. $239/night with a 7 night minimum. +tax.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 09:22 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
I intend to complain to KOA parent company. Ironically the HQ is in Montana.
Old 06-20-2021, 12:14 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhendrix View Post
I intend to complain to KOA parent company. Ironically the HQ is in Montana.

Hate to say this you’re wasting your time on this one, it’s an added fee nothIng more. If you don’t like it don’t stay there you could have just left. When I used to travel a lot for business and went to certain locations every hotel had that fee, few of them disclosed it up front, just the cost of staying there.
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 12:39 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Everywhere , Minnesota
Why make excuses for West Glacier KOA? They can tell you what most of their fees are why not include this surprise as well? What else do they do?
Old 06-20-2021, 01:20 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Just to poke the bear, they advertise themselves as a resort… so resort having a resort fee in today’s world is a shock…. Not to me.. YMMV
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 01:38 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Everywhere , Minnesota
In all fairness I went and looked at 5 KOA's. Of the 5 there were 4 that listed there fees up front, all of them! Only West Glacier KOA noted other fees may apply for additional adults, pets, blah, blah, and so on - it's at the top where you make your reservations - it was noted with an asterisk. BUT, nowhere did i find any explanation as to what or how much the fees were!! An asterisk without explanation is ??? THAT'S DECEPTIVE. My money is not their money. Business ethics, apparently not taught somewhere, or skipped class that day. Any, what comes around goes around! A captive market, maybe. But, eventually people catch on.
Old 06-20-2021, 02:23 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Gwinn , Michigan
West Glacier KOA

We just left Glacier National Park and had stayed a few days at the KOA before Two Medicine (and most of the park) had opened. This park is very expensive, we paid around $80 and did not get charged the resort fee. This is a fee for KOA, not a tax that goes to Montana. Supply and demand rules the day, they can add on any fee they want and call it whatever they want. We did have an issue with checking out a day early. Was told they needed 24 hrs notice during the week and 48 hours on weekends. We gave them 48 hours notice on a Wednesday and had to get a manager involved to get a refund for Friday. We stayed on Flathead Lake at a state park after the KOA and it was quieter, prettier and cheaper. We just left Two Medicine in East Glacier, which is FCFS. Only 1/3 of this campground is open due to water issues. They say loops B and C will open soon. $10 with a senior park “America the Beautiful” pass or $20 without. Would put KOA to shame. A lake, fishing, hiking, mountain sheep wandering the campground and the views are spectacular. Going to the Sun road is not completely open. All tickets for this season are already sold out. You can only drive it before 6:00 am and after 5:00 pm, when it turns into a zoo. LOTS of people at Glacier.
Yooperchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 03:19 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
What also sounds odd is equating a KOA to a resort. I think of it more like a medium brand of hotel.

From what some of you have said it's very nice.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote