Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2008, 07:40 PM   #1
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
We need more power Scotty!

I givin herrrr all she's got captain!
Well I am in Helena for my interview tomorrow. When my Air conditioner tried to start around 10 Am this morning I though there were was a power drop out. it did not quite make it. It did it again. I turned it off not wanting to damage it and turned on all the fans. When I returned to my spot I started doing some investigating. The voltage reading at the kitchen outlet per my p3 kill-o-watt was 108. too low. It was higher that that when I went to sleep around 117. Much better. I turned off the electric side of my hot water heater. A little improvement. I tried the 20 amp plug and it showed 119. much better. I plugged the trailer into the 20 amp outlet and tried again with the kill-o-watt in the line. The voltage dropped out to 106. and the current spiked to 28A. Whoa no good. The AC did not start. I turned it off again and back on with the fans. I expect it is partly because i am at the end of the line for the campground. Partly it is HOT, partly the wiring is just not big enough.

I have an appt with AS of Spokane again next Tuesday. We are hoping the compressor is not dead and she will just need a hard start kit.
Lets hope it cools off tonight so I can get some sleep.

I will try moving the trailer tomorrow and if that does not work I can see a hotel for Sarah and I.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:43 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Michelle, can you move to another site? If not, could you rent a generator for a few days without going bankrupt? At least to cool the trailer off in the evening so you can sleep.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:12 PM   #3

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Michelle, can you move to another site? If not, could you rent a generator for a few days without going bankrupt? At least to cool the trailer off in the evening so you can sleep.
I am going to do that tomorrow afternoon after my interview. It may be too late for the compressor. It is cooling off nicely. A benefit of being in the mountains.
Funny thing you should mention the generator. I bought a second Honda Eu2000i a couple of weeks ago. I brought it with me, but not my first one. I have the parallel kit with me.
Hey I just got an idea, a bad one, but an idea. I can back feed and boost the 20A circuit with the generator and use my parallel kit to hook up to my trailer! ;-0 the only problems are legality and the generator would not be able to keep up with everyone else sucking on the line.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:57 PM   #4
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Did you try the "bad idea"? I believe you can't hook up generators of different capacity with a parallel kit and it sounds like you were planning on something that sounds a little too close for comfort. It is an interesting idea though and I give you credit for that.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:14 PM   #5

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Did you try the "bad idea"? It is an interesting idea though and I give you credit for that.

Gene
No I did not try my bad idea. I was not willing to sacrifice the generator.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:16 PM   #6
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Glad to hear it Michelle. I hope the interview went well, your AC is working and all is well.

Gene
Old 08-08-2008, 06:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hey Michelle -- we're pulling for you and Sarah!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:02 PM   #8

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Glad to hear it Michelle. I hope the interview went well, your AC is working and all is well.

Gene
The AC will be fixed Tuesday. The same day I hope to hear about the job.
Funny thing happened today. I found a house WHEN I move here. I hitched up with a real estate agent yesterday and she said she had most of today available. So we went house hunting. Funny thing happened. I found a place 20 minutes door to door from where I will be working.
The outside is in good shape. the inside needs lot of updating. That can be done over time. I told them I would not quit applying until they hired me.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:39 PM   #9
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Michelle, you're having an "interesting" week. How your neutropathy going? Right after you disclosed your problem, mine got worse for the first time in years. I started getting occasional brief flashes of pain in my feet. Nothing like your problem, but still disconcerting.

Gene
Old 08-09-2008, 06:27 AM   #10
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
I told them I would not quit applying until they hired me.
This I like.

Like making them an offer they can't refuse.

Good luck!

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:54 AM   #11

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Michelle, you're having an "interesting" week. How your neutropathy going? Right after you disclosed your problem, mine got worse for the first time in years. I started getting occasional brief flashes of pain in my feet. Nothing like your problem, but still disconcerting.

Gene
Gene,
Sorry to hear yours is getting worse. Mine is progressing too. I now have neuroapthy in my hands. I cannot feel certain types of pain and I am dropping light objects. bummer