Old 01-08-2020, 03:23 PM   #1
rbs
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
watch your speed

been at the Tumble Inn for 1 hour and have witnesses the local constable stop 3 vehicles already, but we've seen that same thing in the past. If your plans include Marfa, watch your speed, they don't play here

rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Government corruption. You'd think this was the third world. It's sad.

out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Why is enforcing the speed limit within city limits some form of corruption?
Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
watch your speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Why is enforcing the speed limit within city limits some form of corruption?

It’s not, on the face of it. Speed trap or the like might be a more real problem. It’s easy to drive at or slightly below the local posted speed limit if you pay attention.

I’ve driven through tiny towns in Louisiana and Alabama, for example, that had very sudden low speed limits. I was warned in advance and drove at appropriate speed. No big deal. Even the locals crawled through those places.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:08 PM   #5
rbs
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
It’s not, on the face of it. Speed trap or the like might be a more real problem. It’s easy to drive at or slightly below the local posted speed limit if you pay attention.

I’ve driven through tiny towns in Louisiana and Alabama, for example, that had very sudden low speed limits. I was warned in advance and drove at appropriate speed. No big deal. Even the locals crawled through those places.
that's what I'm talking about
Old 01-08-2020, 09:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Unfair! Going into Marfa from the east at Tumble Inn is an 80 mph roadway I believe. Tumble inn is on the far east of the city limits. There is nothing going into town, nothing in town, and nothing going out of town.

Speed trap for sure! "Giant" speed trap!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	giant_movie_-_Google_Search.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	358904  

Our Google images and chat: https://photos.app.goo.gl/CMQbpNXQwapMnj8t9
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:19 PM   #7

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Is the speed limit sign appropriately visible? How much does the limit drop in one increment? If it drops in one stop from 80 mph to 35 mph you have a fair shot at fighting it, and if the reduction isn't announced far enough in advance, etc. If it's signed appropriately, it's just a speed limit.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:43 PM   #8
rbs
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
even a moderator is getting in on this, my heading was "watch your speed", if we witnessed 3 people getting stopped in an hour "there must be a problem Houston"
To lighten the load a little, here is the sunset tonight in Marfa
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0906.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	358905  
Old 01-08-2020, 10:48 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, and that is the reason that I have my Garmin GPS on all of the time; It shows the speed limit and if I go over it, it turns red.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 12:11 AM   #10

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
even a moderator is getting in on this, my heading was "watch your speed", if we witnessed 3 people getting stopped in an hour "there must be a problem Houston"
To lighten the load a little, here is the sunset tonight in Marfa
I commented as a regular member, there was nothing official about it.

I live less than a block off a wide street that's very clearly signed for 30 MPH. Traffic generally moves 35-40 down the street, but there are plenty of people pushing closer to 50 mph, and it's quite common for the local LEOs to sit in more or less plain sight and pick off people about as fast as it takes to hit the lights, issue a ticket and return to their spot and clock the next one. It's what one might call a "target-rich environment" for them, but there's nothing deceptive about it except that the road is 3 lanes in each direction, people just seem to ignore the 30 MPH signs.

I haven't been to Marfa in a long while, I don't know if there's something sneaky about the signage by the Tumble In or not, hence my question.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:16 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
I live in a town adjacent to Detroit with a 35mph speed limit. Because of the proximity to that city we have a very high police presence along the border. People frequently forget they are no longer in Detroit (where there is virtually zero traffic enforcement) and are stopped frequently for speeding or running red lights. Yes, it’s a speed trap and I’m good with it. I’m literally tired of mopping up the results of speeding and red light violations. People literally do 100+ mph on Detroit streets and take out entire families. I’ve travelled cost to coast and have never been unable to see and comply with any reduced speed limit anywhere. You just have to pay attention.

We had cameras for awhile which caused a bunch of rear end crashes when people trying to tailgate others through a red light rear ended them. The state prefers high speed T-bone collisions to minor rear end accidents so the cameras were removed.

Tow Vehicle: Ram Laramie 2500 crew cab, Cummins 6.7 Turbodiesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:25 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
1967 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Clear Lake Shores , Texas
Suburbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
I live in a town adjacent to Detroit with a 35mph speed limit. Because of the proximity to that city we have a very high police presence along the border. People frequently forget they are no longer in Detroit (where there is virtually zero traffic enforcement) and are stopped frequently for speeding or running red lights. Yes, it’s a speed trap and I’m good with it. I’m literally tired of mopping up the results of speeding and red light violations. People literally do 100+ mph on Detroit streets and take out entire families. I’ve travelled cost to coast and have never been unable to see and comply with any reduced speed limit anywhere. You just have to pay attention.

We had cameras for awhile which caused a bunch of rear end crashes when people trying to tailgate others through a red light rear ended them. The state prefers high speed T-bone collisions to minor rear end accidents so the cameras were removed.
Sounds like my hometown of Grosse Pointe Park.
BambiTex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:54 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Old problem

My folks often travelled from Chicago to my grandpa's resort (Thunder Lake Lodge) in Remer, MN before the interstate roads were built. Dad said when they reached the edge of many small towns, the local "Barney Fife" would follow them all the way to the other edge of town. Drove dad nuts! Not a new problem...
WBCCI# 10258
April 3, 2020 Retirement Plan
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:21 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Morristown , Tennessee
Had to go through this thread before giving up and Googling "Marfa" to discover it is located in TEXAS. There, was that so hard?
I love low speed limits - gives me a chance to look around.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:24 AM   #15
dropped rivet in grass

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Tarzan , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Unfair! Going into Marfa from the east at Tumble Inn is an 80 mph roadway I believe. Tumble inn is on the far east of the city limits. There is nothing going into town, nothing in town, and nothing going out of town.

Speed trap for sure! "Giant" speed trap!

The Texas speed limit on rural highways with shoulders is 75 mph. Whether posted or not, the prudent driver begins slowing down from the speed limit a half mile beforehand, not because of law enforcement so much as those danged blind driveways.

It might feel like a speed trap, and in some cases it actually is, but without Barney out there doing his job, small town and rural traffic would be so much deadlier. I know. I'm a rural resident, and my small town has no LEO presence unless the DPS is there that day. Anyone driving faster than the speed limit is almost certain to be a stranger. It's still 75 MPH, what's the hurry, anyway?

As for your comment about Marfa, sir, that was uncalled for. I would expect a comment like that from someone that had blasted through with hardly a glance out the window. Perhaps that *was* you?

edit to add:
Now if you were talking about MY hometown, you would be 100% correct. Nothing here but oil, cotton, and cows. lol
Tall Grass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:15 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Some people just get their jollies out of stirring the pot. Think of the irony in the notion that obeying the law is like living in a third world country. What really makes democracy great is when we can trust that everyone obeys the rule of law and no one is above it. What’s “third world” about that? Or are you just more important than everyone else so the law doesn’t apply to you?

We’re trying to live in a society here kids...

When the speed limit is 35 - don’t go faster than 35 and you’ll never have to worry about a speeding ticket. If you think that’s a bad law, petition your local officials for a change. If that doesn’t work, support a campaign that will accomplish something different or better yet, run for office yourself. Is that “third world” to you?

Now I know it’s become sport these days to call black “white”, truth “fiction”, and the rule of law “optional” - but I like to keep my head in the game based on simple facts: society depends on the rule of law. Choose wisely.

Happy camping everyone!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:35 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
That would be good advice to watch your speed when driving anywhere.

But people are stupid. They don't listen and cheat. Lawtey, FL has been know by many locals and AAA to be a "speed trap". There is a sign outside of town calling the town a speed trap. There are significant speed signs slowing the speed limit from 65 to 55 to 45, etc. YET they have no trouble stopping speeders 10 and 15 over the limit.
Overstreet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:49 PM   #18

Currently Looking...
Perrysburg , Arizona
Thanks for this info! We are embarking on our first cross country trip with our new 22 ft. Caravel at the end of Jan. We’ll be at Big Bend for about ten days and will be mindful in all small towns, esp. Marfa.
cat59boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:03 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Baileys Harbor , Wisconsin
Small towns tend to increase revenue through speeders. What else do these police have to do? But if you are towing a trailer you should be slowing when you come into a town anyway. The biggest issue is when signs are poorly placed. Or when the police stop you when you are at the edge of town while slowing and haven’t quite hit the speed limit. We have one town in WI that is known for this. They actually sell T-shirts boasting they have been picked up in the town.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:48 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Love Texas drivers

One behavior I noticed and loved about Texas drivers, at least rural drivers, is that when they were driving on 2-lane county roads (at 50? 55 mph?) and making a right turn, they would pull over and drive the last bit on the shoulder so all the following cars wouldn't have to slow down while they executed that right turn. I was amazed at the thoughtfulness and politeness this showed.

I had never heard of Marfa, either, and was wondering where in the heck it was. Thanks for looking it up and letting us lazier folks know.

Vivian

Cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote