Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2021, 06:24 AM   #1
flyte'63

Vintage Kin Owner
Buffalo , New York
Washington DC - parking with trailer?

Does anyone have any leads on lots where you can park a vehicle with a trailer in Washington DC? Not looking to camp, just looking for a surface lot where we can leave the rig for one long-day while in the area. Seems like a parking lot that accommodates buses would work, but I am finding it impossible to figure out online or from google maps.

Thanks for any help!

1965 Avion C10 Truck Camper & 1963 Shasta Airflyte TCT
https://flyte63.blogspot.com
dwstucke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 06:30 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

New Hope , PA
Union Station Parking Garage

https://www.cheddaryeti.com/2012/06/...rt-rv-parking/
idoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 06:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

I would look out at some of the VRE (train locations) or some of the outer Metro trail parking lots. As a side note, you could always camp in Harpers Ferry, WV at the KOA and take the MARC train in from there to Union Station.

Just a thought,
Old 07-25-2021, 06:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
We parked at Greenbelt, stayed one night on each end. UBERed into DC and stayed 3 nights in a hotel. Cheaper to rent the site than park in the garage. UBER was about $23 IIRC.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 07:06 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
After going into DC a couple of times with just the TV I decided not even to drive there. We stayed at the Prince William Campground where it was very quiet but close to a number of stores. We drove to the Metro station #1185, 6880 Frontier Dr, Springfield, VA, parked (bought our passes which we still have and can refill) and took the Metro into the Smithsonian station (Blue Line). That's the heart of all the places to visit and you don't have to fight all the traffic. Spend the day, Metro back to your TV, spend the night, go on your merry way.
http://www.princewilliamforestrvcamp...m/location.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7-25-2021 9-03-17 AM.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	400317  
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 08:45 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Even without any RV involved, our approach to DC (it's a day trip for us) is to park a ways out and take the train. Traffic and parking is utterly insane in DC (at least in normal times).

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 09:27 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Lake Mary , Florida
Check out parking lots or storage facilities in West Falls Church, then take the Metro rail into downtown.
suncoasteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 10:14 AM   #8
Finally retired

2018 30' Classic
Vienna , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
After going into DC a couple of times with just the TV I decided not even to drive there. We stayed at the Prince William Campground where it was very quiet but close to a number of stores. We drove to the Metro station #1185, 6880 Frontier Dr, Springfield, VA, parked (bought our passes which we still have and can refill) and took the Metro into the Smithsonian station (Blue Line). That's the heart of all the places to visit and you don't have to fight all the traffic. Spend the day, Metro back to your TV, spend the night, go on your merry way.
http://www.princewilliamforestrvcamp...m/location.htm
We live in NoVa, and agree with your post of park outside of DC and take the Metro or VRE into Union Station. Also check the Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority site and Fairfax County Park Authority. Both have nice campgrounds closer to Metro than Prince William, subject to availability. Also Gateway Storage on US Route 1, south of FT. Belvoir, very secure and close (relatively) to the Metro. We store our Classic there when not using, and they may accommodate a daily or short term stay. Best of luck. AND... DC traffic especially at peak hours is some of most congested in the whole US..
John W Bevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 11:06 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Alexandria , Virginia
If you are retired military or a Veteran Joint Base Anacostia Bolling would be an easy option as it is actually in DC. Park it in the commissary parking lot. Another option would be to call Cherry Hill RV and see if they have a space you can leave it for the day. They have some
Large parking lots.
LiveStreamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 11:16 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Full-time , Traveler
I used to live downtown DC and never took my trailer into the city, even then. There are decent campgrounds both north and south that have easy access to transit (Metro/MARC/VRE) which would all likely result in a much more enjoyable visit.

Beyond that, perhaps you could see if someone in the area offers WBCCI courtesy parking or see if the is an option for Harvest Hosts or Boondockers Welcome close by.
Jeff7176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 11:56 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
aspen , Colorado
Parking

I’ve parked at Dulles Airport
jane labelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 01:32 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Grass Lake , Michigan
We lived in the DC area for over 10 years and I commuted into the district daily. I would never attempt to take a trailer into the city. Unless you really enjoy hectic driving on confusing and busy roads, I also would not recommend even taking your TV into the city. As the saying goes, "The 3 stripes on the DC plates are for the 3 chances in hell you have of finding parking in the district." As others have suggested, park outside the city and take the metro / VRE / MARC train into the city.

One option I haven't seen mentioned yet is the KOA in Millersville, MD. https://koa.com/campgrounds/washington-dc/
They used to have a free shuttle that would take you right into the city. Website says shuttle is closed for 2020 but no mention of this year. It is an easy drive to the Odenton MARC station or New Carrollton Metro. As campgrounds go, it's so-so, but if you want to go into the city, it's a good location.

Another option for military is Joint Base Andrews. Stayed there and it was pretty decent with good access to the metro stations.

Have also stayed at Adventure Bound in Lothian, MD. Would NOT recommend it. Very noisy and generally run down.
oldenavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 07:26 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Not sure if there is "easy access" to Metro stations from Navy Anacostia/Bolling AF (but if there is, I am all ears). However, it is an easy drive from Bolling into the city but as everyone has recommended, use the Metro to avoid the hunt for parking. Uber works well from Bolling as well. There is also a long-term parking lot at the air terminal on Bolling where you can park your car for several days, but not sure if you could drop your trailer there. All of this, of course, assumes you're got a military ID card to get you on the base.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 05:28 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Washington DC - parking with trailer?

We camped in Cedarville State Forest CG and drove into the city. It was a nice campground and inexpensive (less than $20 as I recall). The drive into DC was pretty easy.

We camp there because our son lives in an apartment in DC and no room for us with 2 dogs. Come this December our daughter will also be living in DC.

DanClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0644.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	706.9 KB
ID:	400368Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7726.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	812.3 KB
ID:	400369
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:08 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Personally I would think twice before I would leave our AS unattended in a regular parking lot. Thieves are very brazen in DC. When I worked Alexandria there was a time thieves stole the tires off of vehicles in broad daylight right across the street from a building protected by the Dod security. So IMO you do so at your own risk. Spend the money an put in campsite.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:19 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Old thread reply yet worth noting.

https://www.cherryhillpark.com/

Cherryhill is secure, not far from downtown, not expensive and has regular buses into DC.

For super short stays involving parking safely not too far from Downtown just ask here. There are a bunch of us in the area and we 100% will do you a solid.
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:41 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Sykesville , Maryland
As another area resident, I concur with others. I say do not take your trailer inside the beltway. Find a safe place somewhere outside to park/store the trailer and then drive/Uber to the closest train/metro station and then head downtown via rail. It will be a much better experience, with much less stress. I drive DC regularly in my car, but even as a veteran driver of DC’s circles and squares I would never tow my rig down there. I typically prefer using the train when I head in with the family for weekend fun. It’s very easy and low cost. Good luck and enjoy.
MWanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 05:16 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
1957 18' Wanderer
Marfa , Everywhere
Try this place: https://www.novaparks.com/parks/pohi...-regional-park

We stayed here in 2018, on our way north to New York and New England. Just a few minutes from the last stop on the DC Metro. It's a very pretty place and they have a beautiful water park, too. Leave the trailer at the campground, drive your TV to the Metro station and get into the city the easy way: let someone else drive. We liked this place so much we stayed here again on our way back down. it is one of those places that you wish you could stay at longer. The problem with Washington DC for me is that I always want MORE! More history, more museums, more gardens and monuments. ENJOY!
57Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 06:11 PM   #19
flyte'63

Vintage Kin Owner
Buffalo , New York
Thanks so much for all your help, I knew the Airstream crowd would have experience with this! One of my kids is moving to the city and we are expecting to visit several times while touring our vintage Shasta or vintage Avion truck camper.

Looks like Union Station is the only guaranteed option in the city for either rig.

Better yet, we now have a great list of campgrounds that we could commute in from based on first-hand reviews.

Thanks again!

1965 Avion C10 Truck Camper & 1963 Shasta Airflyte TCT
https://flyte63.blogspot.com
dwstucke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 12:01 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
I would not drive inside the Beltway with my AS. Best to park it at one of the Metro Rail stops around Rockville and ride the train into the city areas you plan to visit. I recall there is a Home Depot/Lowes next to one of the stations out that way but forgot the station name.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote