Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2011, 05:10 PM   #1
Tino

Currently Looking...
Blainville , Quebec
Washing when traveling

Hello, we are planning to tour the United States next year for a period of 8 months. Considering that I am a very meticulous with my Airstream, I was wondering what do you do to wash your airstream when you're traveling? Sorry for the english, i am Canadien from the french part....
Tino643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Tino,

C'est mieux quand vous arrivez a un terrain de camping, de demander au bureau sur le lavager des vehicules recreatirs. Dans les climats humides, il peut ne pas etre un probleme. Mais dans les regions seche de notre sud ouest, vous ne pouvez etre en mesure de vous laver les flux d'air, si vous engagez la societe locale va laver. Bonne chance et bon voyage
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Let's give Tino a list of places where he can stop and wash his Airstream.
I'll go first...
Tino, if you coming through the Chicago area, and want to stop for the night, you are welcome to park in my driveway, and to wash your Airstream.

Robert Clauss
alfauno@wowway.com
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Campgrounds usually frown on washing the RV's at the sites. You have 200 campers doing that and the water bills go through the roof. 8 months can be a long time to go without a wash on the road. There are wash facilities at alot of large truck stops - that is one option. You come along I-10 in MS shoot us a PM - you can wash here. Have a great trip.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:06 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We spend a lot of time on the road with Lucy (978 nights/85,000 miles). When on the road, we take Lucy to a do-it-yourself car wash. Lucy always fits and we do the tow vehicle at the same time.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6691.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	147389  
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
If you are heading for Disneyland, Anaheim RV Village, only a block from the park, has an RV pull through wash rack. There is an elevated walk down each side so that you don't need a ladder to wash the roof. We stayed at this nice RV park in November.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Washing on the road is not going to be a problem

Tino,

You won't have to worry if you follow the many suggestions here.

Like Chris and Jim say, ask at the front desk when you check in. Often there are really good mobile services that travel park to park in a given area. I encountered a really good one in San Antonio, Texas last winter.

Some parks will let you wash if you ask nicely, or keep a blind eye while you do.

Truck stops often have excellent washes, as Clancy Boy says.

Or do what Moosetags does, use the coin operated do-it - yourself places.

All through the American South, particularly in African American communities, there are really good hand washes.

Here's John, wet but not exhausted from washing my whole rig, at his LEMON DELIGHT CARWASH, Natchez on the Mississippi:

Name:	lemon sign.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	147398

Name:	rig6.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	256.8 KB
ID:	147397

He washed the MINI for free, sort of.

Name:	lemon.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	229.7 KB
ID:	147399

Bonne chance,

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:14 PM   #8
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Betabel RV park in Gilroy/ San Juan Bautista CA. area allowed washing when I was there a few years ago, and according to a Feb 2011 rvparkreview still does.
RV Park Reviews :: San Juan Bautista, California ( CA ) - RV Parks and Campground Reviews

Also it never hurts to have some Meguairs Quick Detailer on hand and a few clean towels for between wash touch ups.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:58 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tino643 View Post
Hello, we are planning to tour the United States next year for a period of 8 months. Considering that I am a very meticulous with my Airstream, I was wondering what do you do to wash your airstream when you're traveling? Sorry for the english, i am Canadien from the french part....
We have courtesy parking that comes with a free rv wash .

Also down at our coast in Myrtle Beach, Ocean Lakes CG allows washing. If you get to the Carolinas you'll want to check that place out.

South Carolina welcomes you.
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:48 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Norman , Oklahoma
We have found that many campgrounds with a strick policy against washing don't mind if you use the bucket, water, no soap and cloth (we use microfibers) to wash...then dump the water down the sewer drain. Actually, our previous RV was a 40 ft MH and indeed in just two hours we could completely get it clean no matter how dirty and we actually found that it was as good as a wash with a hose and soap.
twinkie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:19 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We like to keep our little buggy clean, too, inside and out, just see no reason not to. About once a week, we visit a coin-operated car/truck wash.

Most campgrounds prohibit hose/soap/water scrubs at your site, but many will allow you to do this for a small fee. We stayed at one campground that had a specific site specially equipped for washing your rig.

In between washes, Doug uses a bit of water and a squeegee to clean the windows and, as needed, bug bits off the hood and front bumper. No campground owner has ever fussed at us for that.

Microfiber cloths are great for windows inside and out, wash up nicely and are much better than paper towels. We have seen many people wipe their whole rig down daily with one of those. More than we need to do, but.....

Maggie
Old 12-21-2011, 06:34 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic
N Smithfield , Rhode Island
If you are going through Rhode Island, you are welcome to stay in our drive way and also wash your unit (tow vehicle included). We have full hook up service (water, electric-30 amp, dump, WiFi). Heck if you guys are nice we will also throw something on the grill for dinner. Just shoot us a note. Our Canadian friends are always welcome.

Just a FYI- power wash is not good for Airstreams. Too much water preasure and may cause leaks through the seams, windows etc If you have to wash use stations where there are regular water preasure and also avoid using commercial soaps that are not safe for clear coats (have your own soap and cleaning mitts).

Best of luck on your long trip.

Titu

BRN-2905
NEAC of Region 1
AirHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:03 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
lorsque je voyage,je lave mon airstream avec de l'eau claire dans une bassine et un brosse tres douce qui a une extention de facon a pouvoir laver le haut,ensuite je seche avec une vielle serviette eponge et voila..c'est pas mal..ou je trouve un endroit prive et leurs demande gentillement d'emprunter leurs tuyau d'arrosage...bon voyage....
la nomade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:01 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
Twinkie2 is absolutely right! Use a small amount of boat soap in a bucket of water with a microfiber towel and you'll get road grime and bugs off very quickly with no streaks. But ice and snow, that's another matter.
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:15 PM   #15
Tino

Currently Looking...
Blainville , Quebec
I thought I have no answer to my request .... Thank you very much for all these answers and suggestions...Take care....
Tino643 is offline   Reply With Quote