Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-02-2014, 03:30 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Warranty Service

Where do most AS owners get service on their units? I live in GA--there are no AS dealers. Closest dealer is 4 hrs away in TN. If we buy, we will probably go thru Colonial in NJ-1,000 mile trip. I'm concerned, especially in first two years, that I will need repairs and have to haul it to NJ. Any ideas out there before I commit to a new AS.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Hi. Where are you buying? Sounds like you're buying new so that would be your first line of defense. I live in CT and bought in MA but have had work done at the factory in OH and will likely check out Colonial in NJ as they seem to be one of the top, most knowledgeable dealers. That's of course for Airstream warranty items and Airstream specific repairs. Many of the systems/appliances are common to the industry and don't require Airstream-specific knowledge.

I was worried about the sparse location of dealers but frankly a 4-600 mile drive isn't actually such a bad thing and I wish I had known that before choosing by closest location.

Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Buying from Colonial, a good 1,000 mile hike for service. There is a dealer in Knoxville TN, but wasn't very encouraged with their response to not buying there but only getting service. Scarcity of dealerships is dampening my AS enthusiasm.

DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRon View Post
Buying from Colonial, a good 1,000 mile hike for service. There is a dealer in Knoxville TN, but wasn't very encouraged with their response to not buying there but only getting service. Scarcity of dealerships is dampening my AS enthusiasm.

Well, that's an important part of the process and if a deal breaker for you, you should probably buy a different brand.

All I can say is in my experience - I didn't like the idea of a long drive for service either but long drives have not been a bad thing for me. And post-warranty, 90% of the stuff I'll be thinking about can probably be done by the RV dealer 15 minutes from my house (and I'm learning a little as I go too :-).

Everyone's mileage varies - if it's going to be a dissatisfier, go with a different option that makes you feel more comfortable. The goal is camping after all, not necessarily an Airstream.

Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Well - just buy one out of warranty and if need work done find a good place more local?

We have 5 hour drive each way to dealer - I plan on taking it in once if not twice during my warranty period I'm guessing - not too big a deal in the grand scope of the costs associated with buying something new and so costly

If you buy new assume one or more trips for repairs will be needed

If that is a deal breaker don't buy it for sure - but that would not rule out gently used

And if gently used bothers you then buy new and just pay for repairs locally out of pocket

We have aluminitis bad and there could be no sub

Good luck! I wish there were more service centers too!!!!!

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
OP, you are about 300 miles from DeFuniak Springs,Fl home of Dixie RV a new Airstream dealer. Closer than Colonial.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Depends on what you need work on. If it's an appliance any authorized RV dealer for that appliance can do warranty work on it, ie A/C, Refridg etc but many do not want to and don't have to as their warranty work pay rates are low. What I've done in the past when I had one under warranty was go to a non AS dealer, asked them to service the A/C under warranty and I would pay them the difference between what the A/C mfg paid them under warranty and what their shop rate was. They gladly did the work and did a great job.

Good luck
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote