Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2004, 01:57 AM   #1

Rivet Want to buy diesel 4x4 for $5,000 or less!

I am looking for a diesel 4x4 Suburban or crew cab (4 door) pickup truck, in good working condition. I want a vehicle, model year '95 or older, which I can pay $5,000 or less for, in cash. I also would consider a trade for my 1995 4x4 Chevy Suburban (gasoline). I am located in Oklahoma. If you have what I am looking for, or any leads for me, please contact me at WaterSpryt@aol.com.
WaterSpryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 11:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterSpryt
I am looking for a diesel 4x4 Suburban or crew cab (4 door) pickup truck, in good working condition. I want a vehicle, model year '95 or older, which I can pay $5,000 or less for, in cash. I also would consider a trade for my 1995 4x4 Chevy Suburban (gasoline). I am located in Oklahoma. If you have what I am looking for, or any leads for me, please contact me at WaterSpryt@aol.com.
No offense but for what you want to spend I'm not sure you want the deisels in those years. I'm a Chevy guy and I want nothing to do with the 6.2 for towing especially in the mountains. No Trub and elevation and it's an absolute dog. The 6.5 was not a great motor. They are Prone to the cranks failing.

The really good Ford Powerstrokes started in 95.

I think hands down the best Diesel tow rigs are the Powerstroke fords with the 7.3's and the Cummins Dodge trucks with 5 speeds. The Dodge Auto has issues. That's going to be the only ones even close to that price range. Then New Duramax diesles are good but no old enough to be any where near that price range.

That was about my ideal price range and that's why I iended up picking up a very clean low mile 454 Suburban beacause I didn't want those diesels. Hate the MPG but otherwise happy with the vehicle. I'd stick with the Brub you already have. Maybe regear if it has some issues with the weight. Most 4x4 half ton burbs are 3.54 gear I think. If you went to a 3.73 or a 4.10 it would be a good puller and not really get much worse MPG. If it has the 10 bolt rear I would replace it with the Semi Floating 14. If you look you can buy them for $200 if patient. That's cheaper then the regear and it would be a bolt in in most cases.

Good luck.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 02:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I am driving a 92 Dodge cummins 4x4 5 spd in excellent condition 125K miles on it. If you can find this truck it would be in your price range.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 03:00 PM   #4
Craftsman

I find myself looking for the same truck. I just bought a 31' 1976 Sovereign and now I need sutiable tow vechile. My thoughts are to buy about a 95 Ford 7.3 Powerstroke for around $5K cash. Is this realistic? I talked to a guy the other day that had 237 thousand miles on a74 F250, and he said it was still going strong.
Jack
Old 07-21-2004, 03:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
Finding a suitable diesel pickup in that price range,is going to be hard to find. I would recommened the first generation Dodge cummins,with the 5 spd. only. Like 59toaster
stated,the dodge automatics are troublesome.You may find a pre powerstroke Ford with the non turbo charged 7.3 indirect injected engine,for the price range your looking for.There are aftermarket kits available to turbo these engines when financies become availible,and can achieve decent torque increases if needed,other wise the stock 7.3 motor will pull fine,just plan on accelerating prior to climbing any grades. Good luck on your search,Jeff
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote