Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2010, 08:20 AM   #341
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Sarge, I understand fully about the truck parking spaces and facilities reserved for the professional drivers.

I will be carrying some fresh water and will shower in our trailer. I will, however, be parking in their RV parking spots. I hope you don't mean to convey that you think RVers shouldn't be parking at a Flying J in the designated areas?

A bit of education and understanding is a great thing for both sides of the story. Now if only we could get the message out to everyone - professional truckers included - to not hog the left lane on the interstates. THAT would be a great day.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:34 AM   #342
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
In my exprience, Flying J's cater to RV'ers. Many have separate parking for campers/cars, away from the truck parking area, which are quieter. The one's I've been to also had free dump stations.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:39 AM   #343
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger View Post
In my exprience, Flying J's cater to RV'ers. Many have separate parking for campers/cars, away from the truck parking area, which are quieter. The one's I've been to also had free dump stations.

You noticed the signs that say "Travel Center" too then.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:20 AM   #344
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
You noticed the signs that say "Travel Center" too then.
That's right - it's not specifically a truck stop, is it? Travel Center means it caters to travellers, not just to truckers.

I have absolutely no issues with the fact that truckers have to use certain facilities in order for them to operate their vehicle in a safe manner - the parking issue specifically. I won't take up their parking spots because it's few and far between where they can stop for rest.

Showers and other facilities though - I feel it's up for grabs if the customer is staying overnight and presumably buying gas there, stocking up on provisions, etc. I personally would feel more comfortable showering in my own trailer though.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:42 PM   #345
Rivet Master

BRADENTON, On The Picturesque and Sunny West Coast of Florida, , USA, PLANET EARTH, MILKY WAY, LOCAL GROUP, SPIRALING SLOWLY THROUGH THE UNIVERSE
In my experience, if I need to take a shower at a truck stop while on the road, I ask the attendant if there are professional drivers waiting. If not, I get a shower quickly and get out. If it's really quiet at the showers jut then, I might linger just a bit.

If there are drivers waiting, I either move on or I wait untill they get done. I've never had nor knowingly created a problem using this common sense method.

We all have showers in our RV's, but if you are traveling through northern climes, in winter, with winterized water, the truckstop shower is a good option.

Keep your rig between the lines and your head out of your A--!
John
N2XBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:22 AM   #346
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
I will, however, be parking in their RV parking spots. I hope you don't mean to convey that you think RVers shouldn't be parking at a Flying J in the designated areas?
Ans- No I am not saying that RV's should not take advantage of things available for RV's, I am advocating that one should not take advantage of things that are for truck drivers such as parking because trucks are very limited to where they can park unlike RV's that can park just about anyplace. This also includes the inside facilities such as the showers they should always be left for drivers because it is all they have.

A bit of education and understanding is a great thing for both sides of the story. Now if only we could get the message out to everyone - professional truckers included - to not hog the left lane on the interstates. THAT would be a great day.
Ans- I agree with you on this point, especially the left lane issue. I look at this way, use the left lane to pass then once you have done get back in the right lane, especially Semi's. Besides cops always go after those in the left lane first.

Sarge
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:27 AM   #347
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
Actually they cater to trucks not RV's, RV's are just an added income for what little they spend. In fact if you posed to the question which the truck stop would keep if they was restricted Semis or RV you would find that RVs would loose out because of the amount of money trucks spend on fuel, showers, resturant, store food, amenities, etc.

Sarge
Old 02-05-2010, 06:31 AM   #348
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2XBW View Post
In my experience, if I need to take a shower at a truck stop while on the road, I ask the attendant if there are professional drivers waiting. If not, I get a shower quickly and get out. If it's really quiet at the showers jut then, I might linger just a bit.
If there are drivers waiting, I either move on or I wait untill they get done. I've never had nor knowingly created a problem using this common sense method.
We all have showers in our RV's, but if you are traveling through northern climes, in winter, with winterized water, the truckstop shower is a good option.
John
John you are quite right in the way you do this, if all did this there would be a lot less problems behind the scenes.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:38 AM   #349
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
That's right - it's not specifically a truck stop, is it? Travel Center means it caters to travellers, not just to truckers.
Ans- Not correct, the term travel center was used for truckers to tell the difference between a fuel stop and a full service center.

I have absolutely no issues with the fact that truckers have to use certain facilities in order for them to operate their vehicle in a safe manner - the parking issue specifically. I won't take up their parking spots because it's few and far between where they can stop for rest.
Ans- Thank you for this, we are very constricted on what we do and most are not aware of this fact.

Showers and other facilities though - I feel it's up for grabs if the customer is staying overnight and presumably buying gas there, stocking up on provisions, etc. I personally would feel more comfortable showering in my own trailer though.
Ans- Showers should always be left for the truckers first, that is what they are there for and why you see signs that say Professional Drivers Only says nothing about RV, or Travelers. Now if the showers are not in use and there are no truckers waiting then I would say use it if you wish like N2XBW does.

Sarge
Old 02-05-2010, 09:09 AM   #350
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARGE/AF View Post
Ans- Not correct, the term travel center was used for truckers to tell the difference between a fuel stop and a full service center.
Sarge
Interesting claim, on the other hand the website for one of the largest (if not the largest) of the bunch says on their website....

Quote:
Pilot was founded in 1958 as a single, family-owned gas station in Gate City, Virginia.
In 1976, Pilot built its first convenience store and began converting the rest of its locations to convenience stores.
Pilot’s first travel center opened in 1981, and travel centers have been the main thrust of its business ever since.
from Loves
Quote:
Love’s began more than 40 years ago when Tom Love leased a closed filling station in Western Oklahoma. Through the years, Love’s has expanded to more than 200 Travel Stops & Country Stores. The following describes where we began and where we are headed in the future.
I was unable to find much other in the way of commentary on the origin of the term although I am still looking. In the two cases above that commented on the history of the respective businesses, it is clear (at least to me) that the companies started as gas station/ stores and expanded later to accommodate semis. That being the case, perhaps the "professional drivers" ought to be more deferential to the common man out there at these stops. Travel Centers of America had no information about their history on their website. However, they did have this to say about showers

Quote:
RVers

Print

Showers

There is nothing quite like a long, hot shower at the end of a hard day. We've got the cleanest program around. Every shower is sanitized before every use and includes a freshly laundered, trucker-sized towel, a wash cloth and soap.
Best of all, it's free to drivers purchasing 50 gallons of diesel fuel or more (with no towel deposit required).
Customers receive a free shower coupon with a 50-gallon minimum diesel fuel purchase. Customers who do not make a 50-gallon minimum diesel fuel purchase will be charged $10.00 for a shower or use RKC points to purchase a shower at the kiosk for only 900 points. There is no deposit required for a shower towel, soap and bathmat.

None of the above is my opinion or interpretation of history. Its the word straight from the horses mouth (at least the three of the largest horses).

Old 02-05-2010, 10:15 AM   #351
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
"Actually they cater to trucks not RV's, RV's are just an added income for what little they spend."

Perhaps I should have been clearer. Nowhere did I imply they cater specifically to RV's, only that they (obviously) do. And frankly, I don't give a Flying J where they make their money, as long as they have the dump stations and separate the RV's from the trucks. It has never even occurred to me to ge a shower at a Travel Center/Truck stop, especially when I'm towing my own.
WDCU
Old 02-05-2010, 12:12 PM   #352
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Quote:
It has never even occurred to me to ge a shower at a Travel Center/Truck stop, especially when I'm towing my own.
We are planning a trip during the winter months and plan to "dry" camp with our Excella. We don't want to use the shower because all of the lines and tanks are winterized. Showering at a travel stop seems like a good option if you are on the road and the showers in the northern parks are not open for travelers.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:57 AM   #353
Rivet Master

BRADENTON, On The Picturesque and Sunny West Coast of Florida, , USA, PLANET EARTH, MILKY WAY, LOCAL GROUP, SPIRALING SLOWLY THROUGH THE UNIVERSE
Ok, now how many Angels can we fit on the head of a pin?
Have we ridden this horse to exhaustion?
John
N2XBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:00 AM   #354
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Currently Looking...
gettysburg , Pennsylvania
Not allowed at Gettysburg Walmart. (Township Ordinance)
gettysburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:44 PM   #355
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
John

*Angels* notwithstanding, that would be a decision entrusted to a higher authority... our moderators who, to date, have been infallible in their wisdom in such matters. In the meantime, this horse has plenty of life for me. Every time I visit, I learn... something.

In the meantime...
Attached Images

WDCU
Old 02-10-2010, 04:45 PM   #356
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
Send a message via Skype™ to WILDRTEXAS
Quote:
John
Nicely said...
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion...

Taylor 1/20/96 - 11/28/08

WILDRTEXAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:05 PM   #357
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
For those adventuresome souls who "rush in where angels fear to tread", and don't like what they see, this was made just for you:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f318...tem-57677.html

(nod to A. Pope)
WDCU
Old 02-10-2010, 06:54 PM   #358
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' International CCD
Hershey , Pennsylvania
Walmart Overnight Parking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutStream View Post
I read an anrticle in the Vancouver Sun on the weekend stating that WalMart in British Columbia was going to ban overnighters because of complaints from RV park operators (losing revenue). I'll try to track down the paper to confirm... may be in the bottom of the bird cage.

Ken
The Walmart perk of allowing RV overnight parking should be of no concern to any RV park. If they are losing revenue, who cares. That is their problem. Walmart also sells some RV related items at a probably cheaper price so does this mean these items will be banned just because Walmart is now in competition with the RV park store? These RV parks should just mind their own business and it should not be their concern where any RVer is staying. In addition, Walmart needs to step up and tell these desperate for money RV parks to not be concerned with what goes on in Walmart parking lots or who is staying there.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:46 PM   #359
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
We will be doing a cross country drive in a couple of months....and I don't feel that I should have to pay a RV park full price for us pulling in and sleeping maybe 6 hours....I would rather pull in to a nice Walmart parking lot and crash or pull into one of the Travel centers and get a couple hours of sleep and pull away. I dont think that the RV parks should really have any say as to who can and can't stay in the parking lot that Walmart has paid for either.
Dotz(daschund) CB (daschund) Oh and 3 kids!!!
TAC# KY-3
mouth012006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:58 PM   #360
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouth012006 View Post
I dont think that the RV parks should really have any say as to who can and can't stay in the parking lot that Walmart has paid for either.
Like so many other circumstances, when people are unable to prevail though merit of their argument or product, they try to mandate through the law.