Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2019, 12:28 PM   #1121
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
its sad nowadays that I have to reserve a site. Unless that campground has over 1,000 sites like those at Myrtle Beach, SC.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 01:32 PM   #1122
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Kansas City , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
It was, and good of you to acknowledge it.

I believe that exposure to people who don’t live like us, look like us nor dress like us helps rid oneself of bias and prejudice.

Maybe find a worthy cause and donate some time.

Maggie
Ill remember that next time I walk past a mother abusing and swearing at their small children. Or somebody throwing their used syringes into the wood chips next to a tree. You know. The kind of thingd you can often see in various wally world parking lots across the United States.
Shermy1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 02:30 PM   #1123
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Walmart overnight parking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shermy1987 View Post
Ill remember that next time I walk past a mother abusing and swearing at their small children. Or somebody throwing their used syringes into the wood chips next to a tree. You know. The kind of thingd you can often see in various wally world parking lots across the United States.

You can witness drug abuse and parents mistreating their children in high society and anywhere else. I almost got a flat on my truck from just missing a hypo in the parking in the parking lot of a cultural arts center.

You can also witness good human beings shopping/parking at Wally World and anywhere else.

This whole bash WalMart thing has a stink of judgmental elitism. May not be your intent - but sheesh! I have a job. I tow a stupidly expensive Airstream with a stupidly expensive truck. I don’t do drugs. I shop at WalMart for many RV supplies and other stuff when I’m in the mood. I see families there that remind me an awful lot of my family when we were kids and my dad was the sole bread winner raising 4 of us with his wife in the 70s on a 4-figure salary - a financial fact I never knew until after he died and I found some paperwork in his closet that blew me away. I never knew how little money we had but I certainly knew we had plenty of love, food on the table, clothes on our backs and a roof over our head. If WalMart had existed then I have no doubt that’s where we’d have done all our shopping. I’m proud as hell of him for doing something he hated to support people he loved.

Guess you nicked a nerve here. Wonder if we can dial down the bashing a notch....

Carry on....
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 03:18 PM   #1124
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Kansas City , Kansas
Maybe we're sharing the nerve hitting. If you're unable to discern that the best of humanity isn't usually hanging around a Wall Mart parking lot, life is sure going to be a struggle as you're denying the reality of life.

When you also have to tell somebody that they "should be sorry" for making an innocent statement of truth due to an incessant need to allways be the "self righteous" one. Then life is also going to be a good struggle.

There's a great quote about the dangers of self righteousness by C.S Lewis. I wont post it here. But maybe you should look it up.

The biggest problem with people always feeling the need to correct everybody else about what opinions are allowed or not allowed is that you shut down peoples discourse and stop people from being honest free thinking human beings.
Old 11-01-2019, 04:29 PM   #1125

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Quote:
Maybe we're sharing the nerve hitting. If you're unable to discern that the best of humanity isn't usually hanging around a Wall Mart parking lot, life is sure going to be a struggle as you're denying the reality of life.

When you also have to tell somebody that they "should be sorry" for making an innocent statement of truth due to an incessant need to allways be the "self righteous" one. Then life is also going to be a good struggle.

There's a great quote about the dangers of self righteousness by C.S Lewis. I wont post it here. But maybe you should look it up.

The biggest problem with people always feeling the need to correct everybody else about what opinions are allowed or not allowed is that you shut down peoples discourse and stop people from being honest free thinking human beings.

[emoji106]
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 05:02 PM   #1126
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Maybe we're sharing the nerve hitting.

1) If you're unable to discern that the best of humanity isn't usually hanging around a Wall Mart parking lot, life is sure going to be a struggle as you're denying the reality of life.

2) When you also have to tell somebody that they "should be sorry" for making an innocent statement of truth due to an incessant need to allways be the "self righteous" one. Then life is also going to be a good struggle.

I took the liberty to number a couple of your points above to address them.

1) my life is pretty damn good, thanks. Assuming you read my post and how I described my family, I’ll presume you wouldn’t consider me “the best of humanity.” You’re entitled to your opinion. Wondering how - despite not meeting me or, presumably anyone in a WalMart parking lot - you came to the conclusion that was your place to judge? If you’re going to quote CS Lewis - one of the greatest Christian writers in history - would you guess he might think that all humans are created in the image of God - even those who dare to tread on a WalMart property?

2) opinions are opinions. What’s truth? 2+2 is a fact - it’s true. The notion that “the best of humanity” isn’t usually hanging around a WalMart parking lot is your opinion. Factual? True? Who says? That such an opinion makes you sound like a pompous, judgmental human being is my opinion. What’s true there? I don’t know you. I haven’t met you. Maybe you’re a lovely human being? It’s really not my place to judge, is it?

No one asked anyone to not have an opinion. You can have an opinion and still treat humans like humans. That’s not popular anymore but I’m a fan of it. And if someone felt they didn’t live up to their own standards and apologized for that - that’s a good thing in my view. Your mileage may vary...

At the end of the day - it would be fun to meet at a WalMart and chat. Maybe our opinions would change - maybe not.

Best to you either way,
WalMart Steve [emoji3]
Old 11-01-2019, 05:08 PM   #1127
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
You folks trying to get this informative thread closed?

The Community Rules are linked at the bottom of this page.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/misc...ork&page=rules
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 05:15 PM   #1128
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Kansas City , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
You folks trying to get this informative thread closed?

The Community Rules are linked at the bottom of this page.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/misc...ork&page=rules
57 pages talking about parking an RV in a Wall Mart car park. It probably should be shut down.

Old 11-01-2019, 05:27 PM   #1129
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
. . . and most of that “on topic” without political etc. digressions which run afoul of the community rules . . .

Over and out.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 05:38 PM   #1130
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
It’s all informative as far as I can see [emoji3]
Old 11-01-2019, 06:54 PM   #1131
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Medina , Ohio
Time to go camping!
Markum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:17 PM   #1132
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
I'm a Wal-Mart shopper.

Hi, I have heard from several people why they won't shop at Wal-Mart and that's their choice. I have one true example of why I buy things from Wal-Mart. My dog, when I had one, was given a bath with 8 in 1 brand Oatmeal shampoo. This same brand in pet stores sold for $12.95 and when it was on sale they would sell it for $9.95 per bottle. This same exact brand and size of dog shampoo sold everyday in Wal-Mart for $2.97; I'm not a penny pincher and I don't like tossing ten dollar bills in the trash either.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:27 PM   #1133
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I have heard from several people why they won't shop at Wal-Mart and that's their choice. I have one true example of why I buy things from Wal-Mart. My dog, when I had one, was given a bath with 8 in 1 brand Oatmeal shampoo. This same brand in pet stores sold for $12.95 and when it was on sale they would sell it for $9.95 per bottle. This same exact brand and size of dog shampoo sold everyday in Wal-Mart for $2.97; I'm not a penny pincher and I don't like tossing ten dollar bills in the trash either.
And I can tell you about the 750 people I personally worked with in NY making pocket and hunting knives (Google Imperial Schrade) who lost their jobs because the company was forced by Walmart (with explicit instructions from Walmart as to what companies to contact in China) to move production to China so they could sell cheaper knives... And to date still have no new jobs as the plant is shuttered.

Just saying....there are various sides to the story. It is a sad balance we have to face.

From working in the industry what I find frustrating is that people are trapped into feeding and supporting their family by shopping at a company that is pretty harsh on its suppliers and not really treating their employees right.The management makes a good salary, the hourly are compensated as public review and opinion forces the management to comply with. A social issue, not an Airstream forum issue.

In the interest of open explanation and clarification of opinion - I used to stay at Walmart's when traveling cross country but given the questionable stays I have had in the last few years I now choose to do Flying J's, KOA Journey's, and look up county regional parks. It takes a bit more time but makes for a better nights sleep.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:37 PM   #1134
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweybright View Post
And I can tell you about the 750 people I personally worked with in NY making pocket and hunting knives (Google Imperial Schrade) who lost their jobs because the company was forced by Walmart (with explicit instructions from Walmart as to what companies to contact) to move production to China so they could sell cheaper knives...
Just saying....there are various sides to the story.
Hi, and I'm sure that you also heard about Sears making contracts with small manufacturers then placing orders too large for them to handle; Then taking over these businesses as their own. The big fish eat the small fish. We may not like it, but that's the way it is. [Amazon]

Point being, not just Wal-Mart.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:52 PM   #1135
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, and I'm sure that you also heard about Sears making contracts with small manufacturers then placing orders too large for them to handle; Then taking over these businesses as their own. The big fish eat the small fish. We may not like it, but that's the way it is. [Amazon]

Point being, not just Wal-Mart.
I think we are on the same page....but just being careful as I am sure I am on the "watch list" for my posts..

But we move away from the essence of the post I think.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 04:36 AM   #1136
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Walmarts vary widely, and wildly in their customer bases. One on Nimmo Parkway in Virginia Beach is very nice, clean and generally the patrons all seem to fit somewhere in the middle class spectrum. Less than 25 miles away, there is one in Norfolk on Military Highway that feels like a war zone. More varieties of aggressive antisocial behavior can be.seen there than at the average pit bull fight.

I find that a late arrival at the average campground is usually nerve wracking because of poor lighting and difficult spots, and that truck stops which don't have RV areas are noisy, so if I mooch, here in the east it's Cracker Barrel most of the time.
Old 11-02-2019, 05:41 AM   #1137
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Yes yes. Because driving into an RV Park at midnight and waking half the neighbourhood up while you try to find some spot the size of a sardine can. Then parking for 5 hours and paying 40 bucks to drive out again is a much better idea.
Totally agree! There won’t be anyone at the commercial CG to check you in. It’ll be totally dark with no way to identify campsites. You’ll be driving around trying to find a site and waking up the entire CG. Sometimes pulling into a free (much easier) place makes way more sense.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 06:08 AM   #1138
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
People can say what they want, but a visit to many (or most?) Wal Marts after 10 PM is an adventure.

When and where do you think that most of the "meth people" shop?

The thing is, it's for this reason that I avoid overnight parking at Wal-Mart, and I think saying so on this thread is AMAZINGLY on topic.

If the meth folks and their defenders are offended by this little bit of truth, well, too bad, it's a matter of safety that most campers should be thinking about when they wheel their RV into a Wal Mart for an overnight respite.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 06:20 AM   #1139
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Walmart overnight parking

And besides that, there isn't a poster on this forum that would park their Airstream just anywhere regardless of the threat level..

Prove me wrong. [emoji4]

Now, I'm not saying that I won't ever pull into a Wal Mart for an overnight, I have done so a few times, but my last stay in Big Springs a few years ago caused me to rethink the whole thing.

Am I scared? not really, just aware.

I'm healthy in my mid fifty's, and have the means of self defense, but why should I incur added risk for not much cause?

I like Lowe's, Home Depot, and Tractor Supply parking lots. The stores close early, and there are no late night shoppers to have to worry about.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:17 AM   #1140
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
People can say what they want, but a visit to many (or most?) Wal Marts after 10 PM is an adventure.

When and where do you think that most of the "meth people" shop?

The thing is, it's for this reason that I avoid overnight parking at Wal-Mart, and I think saying so on this thread is AMAZINGLY on topic.

If the meth folks and their defenders are offended by this little bit of truth, well, too bad, it's a matter of safety that most campers should be thinking about when they wheel their RV into a Wal Mart for an overnight respite.

...many or most? How many have you been too?
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote