Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2018, 03:49 PM   #1061
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Dungville next to Donkeytown , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
Joanna, you’ve got me feeling totally unprepared and unobservant. What a wake up call. I’m way too trusting. I bought a 9mm and took the conceal and carry course, but I’ve no interest in actually carrying a gun. (It’s in the AS in case someone is trying to come in while we are there.)
I doubt things get any better around the world, as far as crime is concerned. I’m going to read up on situational awareness. I hadn’t heard about anyone overnighting in a WM that had problems. Now you tell me about three.
Thanks for sharing that.

Well I hope by sharing my experiences it brings about a sharpened sense of awareness and empowerment for those who have a wanderlust soul and concern for parking in chain store stays.

I can only assume that I was targeted as a vulnerable woman and easy pickings in the wrong place and time. If I had been with my dog I doubt I would have been approached at all. Opportunity to show off my dog-child, note pict. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4579.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	796.3 KB
ID:	311051

So in my opinion 2 of the 3 offenses were initiated on the perception that I could be taken - which I was. And as I mentioned my habits have changed on the side of proactive caution by a factor of two.

You had me down as a damsel?
Darling, I'm the wolf.
Joannadannna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 04:12 PM   #1062
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Cute doggie, and I bet he's at least as loyal as my 4 smaller sillies--that bark like heck if they are even slightly suspicious.

Our Tibetan Terrier (24 pound dog) sounds huge when he sounds off--he has a deep bark like a much bigger dog...

Haven't had an issue yet...

Situational awareness is vital--knowing when to back out and keep driving is the best defense...backed up by my buddy, "Justin Case"
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:53 AM   #1063
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Not helpful. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4975.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	405.3 KB
ID:	311219
Disposed camper.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:04 PM   #1064
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Don't let fear influence you unduly, it's not something beyond your ability to handle.

Personal safety is a mix of several things ...awareness of your surroundings, making good choices to manage risk, being prepared in case of any unwanted scenario (everything from brainstorming scenarios and responses - to self defense or flight if possible- many options here...)

Preparing may be as simple as having thought about it beforehand and deciding how you will respond in a given scenario. Being surprised and momentarily paralyzed because you never considered a scenario leads to unwanted results.. having a ready choice like keeping a wad of $1 dollar bills to give and keeping real wallet hidden is pretty effective if the person robbing you is in a hurry- maybe less effective if they are more desperate, greedy, violent, tripping, or after more than money...

Not trying to scare... I’m career law enforcement with a military background before that...for every story you've heard I've heard 20. There's always a grain of truth to every story but the media does blow things out of proportion we all know that right?

What makes a difference is preparing. Mentally- the “what if..?” game... to have thought about possibilities and reactions before it happens... an ongoing exercise.. preparing means not having your head in the sand is all. Mace, pepper spray, dogs, deception, having cell phone handy at all times, knowing neighbors and locals, being friendly with local emergency response folks- Police etc. don’t act like a victim, prudence, and being prepared to use force (kick to the shin or tenders and a hard shove and flurry of painful slaps and escaping quickly while calling police), mace and escape while calling 911, etc

The level of the threat should dictate your planning and your reaction to a threat of assault, harm, and so on. Possibly lethal force (any knife, implement, or tool that can cause serious harm) is legal, and even necessary if all other responses have failed and you are being hurt or fear beyond doubt serious harm is imminent. Unless you feel that you have no natural human right to defend yourself or those who cannot defend themselves...

Fear is not what should guide you, but it can be useful .. control it by preparing, training, practicing the what if game, being smart and ready, educated and aware, not paranoid or scared all the time.

One state is empowering , the other is the opposite.

Be safe and be ready, but enjoy life and be a hard or moving target if it is warranted ... and if you have no warning signs (because you should be always minimally aware of your environment right?!) relax and smell the flowers, enjoy the conversations, sip your coffee or wine and smile..��

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:23 PM   #1065
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Recent Tee shirt seen in a local restaurant, on a really big, competent-looking gentleman:

"Keep Calm and Return Fire", in the same stye as the old "Keep Calm and Carry On" signs from London during WWII.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:47 PM   #1066
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
You knew it was going to happen...

Back to the subject of Walmart camping.

We spent a weekend at Trinidad Lake State Park in Colorado last month. Leaving town, we stopped at the Walmart for supplies. There were at least half a dozen RV parked at the far end of the lot.

Plus there was the one in the picture. Looks quite new, and has a temporary license tag.

Yes, that is a sewer dump hose connect to the belly, with one end lying on the pavement.

Yes, there is a remnant of liquid trailing away from the end of the hose.

No, I didn't get close enough to determine anything more about the composition of the liquid.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WalmartMohoDumpSmall.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	315007   Click image for larger version

Name:	WalmartMohoDumpDetail.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	315008  

SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 05:31 PM   #1067
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
We've been on the road now for 7 years, frequently as we pass through a city will use a Walmart or Cracker Barrel or even a truck stop. we make it a policy to observe our surroundings and make a decision as to whether or not we feel safe, only a few times did we make the decision to move on to another place. I'm sorry some have had a less-than-stellar experience overnighting in a Walmart parking lot, but our experiences have been very good! We've gotten rest, and quite honestly met some very interesting people. In the future we will continue to use these resources as a quick stop, to load our fridge with what we buy there, and even eat a meal. Personally I think it's all about observation of surroundings and good decision-making. I for one will continue to use Walmart's, Cabela's, Cracker Barrel, Pilot Flying J, and loves.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:15 PM   #1068
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
Back to the subject of Walmart camping.

We spent a weekend at Trinidad Lake State Park in Colorado last month. Leaving town, we stopped at the Walmart for supplies. There were at least half a dozen RV parked at the far end of the lot.

Plus there was the one in the picture. Looks quite new, and has a temporary license tag.

Yes, that is a sewer dump hose connect to the belly, with one end lying on the pavement.

No, I didn't get close enough to determine anything more about the composition of the liquid.
You should have left them a serious note regarding their responsibility! That is terrible. This will ruin parking for everyone. Totally shameful.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:38 AM   #1069
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post

On my most recent trip to Nova Scotia, I found this at the entrance to a particular beach. I hadn't seen this type of sign before, and so I asked the locals why THIS particular beach had it, and not other beaches.

They told me that it was erected because RVs were dumping black water onto the parking lot beside the beach. The place was isolated enough so that they figured that they could get away with it, I guess.

Yes, people actually do stuff like that.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:59 AM   #1070
1 Rivet Member

Las Vegas , Nevada
It's so sad to see irresponsible campers. They should be ashamed of themselves, thinking that they could just dump their wastes wherever they wish to.
Roulette99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:32 AM   #1071
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Greensboro , North Carolina
We'd called ahead and we were told where to park, and were asked to check in with a manager when we arrived. We did so, gave a description of what we were parking in their lot. They indicated they'd point a camera in our. direction and said that security would keep an eye out!
Rrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:36 AM   #1072
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Rude?
Remember the rock and roll tour bus that emptied it's black tank into the Chicago River while crossing the grate bridge? Too bad a tour boat was passing under at the time and got a blue shower!
It was the Dave Matthew's Band, but I think the driver did it while the band performed.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 11:03 PM   #1073
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Draper , Utah
Here in Illinois tonight, not by choice.

We had a nice state park site selected but the power box was 50-60' away AND on the wrong side of the campsite. Our ac is struggling with our undersized generator. Thank goodness for the easy start or this.night would be even worse.

It was 87 deg in the trailer when we got here. it's down to 82. Should be comfortable by the time it's time to wake up.

On the flip side, thank goodness we have a bed for the kid to sleep in.

And I got a 30' 30 amp extension cord so we can work things out tomorrow.
ShullsinUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 04:32 PM   #1074
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShullsinUtah View Post

We had a nice state park site selected but the power box was 50-60' away AND on the wrong side of the campsite. Our ac is struggling with our undersized generator. Thank goodness for the easy start or this.night would be even worse.

It was 87 deg in the trailer when we got here. it's down to 82. Should be comfortable by the time it's time to wake up.

Years of showing dogs taught me that you never have too much water hose or too much electric cord.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:24 PM   #1075
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Draper , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post
Years of showing dogs taught me that you never have too much water hose or too much electric cord.
Gor set up this AM. We're good to go!
ShullsinUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:34 PM   #1076
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShullsinUtah View Post

The reason to always carry a generator. . The time you don’t think you will need it, then it comes in handy.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 04:09 PM   #1077
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Woodstock , Georgia
We recently had an interesting WallyDocking experience near Charlotte, NC. Also, this was our first experience doing this too. We were on our way to the Outer Banks of NC and decided to stay in that area at a WM. We pulled into the first one, walked inside (with a shopping cart) looked around for someone that looked like they were in charge there. Found a nice lady that looked like she had all of the credentials. Started out with, 'we are from out of town and stocking up for our camping trip and wondered if we could spend the night in our camper in the parking lot.' (Made sure I had my wife and kids with me too!). She looked at me and the family and said "Well, I can't say yes, but look at me close and notice the way my head is moving up and down.' She had a nice smile on her face and said that she could not say yes, but that she could also not stop us from doing whatever we wanted to do. So, we went and shopped in the store, spent over $200, went back outside and spent the night in the parking lot. No problems at all. Definitely a memorable experience.
Has anyone else had an experience like this? We looked them up before we left on our trip and someone on our Park Advisor App commented that they do allow overnight stays. However, other searches online I found some that say they did not. I tried calling before we left, but could never get anyone on the phone. So we decided to do it the way we did it. Sounds to me like it is up to the manager at that particular times discretion?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1661[1].jpg
Views:	155
Size:	247.2 KB
ID:	316152  

2018 Airstream Flying Cloud 25FBQ w/Solar | Hensley Arrow
Tow Vehicle - 2004 Ford Excursion Limited PSD 4x4
Haulin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:30 PM   #1078
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Walmart overnight parking

Local laws also figure into WallyDocking.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:33 PM   #1079
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
My experience suggest the manager of a Walmart is the only one who can give permission unless there is an active security officer on the premises. I have been told on more than one occasion that the one prohibited behavior is to run a generator after a specified hour. Of course, unhooking and dumping your trailer is not allowed in any Walmart I have visited.

My preference is the public parking lot of a truck stop, Flying J, Petro, etc., as they have always been receptive unless there is simply no place to park. I have been allowed to park in restricted areas by permission even though I was 53' overall. They also like your business, fuel, food, etc.

I think the security at a truck stop must be high as there is a value in the trucks of 100's of million dollars, no one wants a truck hijacked from their parking area.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 05:53 AM   #1080
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Different sub-topic - what it looks like to have one thousand people Wallydocking all at one time. In a single Walmart.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...ing-lot-photos
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote