Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-15-2017, 06:24 PM   #961
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I stay at Lowe’a, Home Depot, and Tractor Supply Co., but don’t spoil it by telling the SOB folks....

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 06:35 PM   #962
halfloaf

2018 16' Sport
Cary , NC
Last week I stayed at a Cabelas with a steak house on one side of me for dinner and a Starbucks on the other side of me for breakfast... I could have moved in!
halfloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:37 PM   #963
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Walmart overnight parking

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfloaf View Post
Last week I stayed at a Cabelas with a steak house on one side of me for dinner and a Starbucks on the other side of me for breakfast... I could have moved in!

I have been parking at the end of those parking lots for a while, always all alone and it a safe spot.

After 10:00 at Wal Mart, it ain’t the campers that keep me awake, its the multitude of shoppers.

Is it wrong of me to say that? Lol

Some would argue that I am imposing on their hospitality,and they would be right about that, but I stop at the same places and pick up after myself. I try hard to leave the place better than I found it.

I just do it because it looks cool and it is. But It only works so long as we Airstreamers keep it to ourselves.

Old 11-18-2017, 05:00 AM   #964
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
No matter where I stay, I try to make certain I leave no garbage around, and that I purchase something, usually food, in the Walmart. If I am in another venue, Tractor Supply, etc., they will usually have something I can use as well. Of course Cabelas....my purchasing fix must be satisfied....

I am of the opinion that the safest place is still the large truck stop. The 100's of millions of dollars on the ground suggests to me the security must be very good. And, most likely far better than an unoccupied lot at a store which is closed for the night.

However, if one is sensitive to noise at night.... maybe a truck stop is not so good... trucks leave at a very early hour in the morning, arrive at all hours through the night.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 05:22 AM   #965
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Parked in a Flying-J lot once. Picked a spot way out in the back. There were no trucks within 100 yards. By 3:00 a.m. we were surrounded by trucks with a refrigerator truck running the compressor all night. It was safe, but not very restful.
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 05:23 AM   #966
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep...the noise and diesel fumes at truck stops are all the deterrent I need to not overnite at them.

In my experience, common sense and reasonable safety precautions will keep one safe overnighting anywhere. Most people mean others no harm, is the truth.

I have done a fair number of non-campground overnights by myself with Lily the past few years, not always with others around, and have never once been accosted nor felt unsafe.

It would not be a simple nor quick task to break into our rigs, and would-be burglars would not know a double barreled shotgun is not pointed at them from the inside.

The bad guys want a sure thing, Doug always said, and I believe that to be true.

Fear less, do more.

Maggie
Old 11-18-2017, 06:47 AM   #967
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Walmart overnight parking

Some truckstops have security, others not as much. Some have drugs and prostitution problems, some places have earned a reputation for being dangerous.

The thing about truckstops is they are busy, people are coming and going all the time, its hard to tell the good guys from the bad guys because suspicious behavior gets diluted in the mix. It’s not usually the drivers who are the criminal instigators, but still, how can you tell the drivers from the criminals?

Another thing about truckstops, well, there are A LOT of “parking accident” in truckstops. Hit and run parking accidents are WAY common.

Am I saying I would never stay in a truckstop? Nope, but I am saying I wont stay in a busy truckstop parked in the truck lot. I would consider staying in a flying J or such with RV parking.

All in all I have only stayed in one truckstop for one night in my four years of Airstreaming, it is one where I knew the locality VERY WELL, and I knew that where I parked wouldn’t fill in with trucks.

HONESTLY folks, all things considered, parked among trucks in a busy truckstop is generally one of the last places I want to park overnight in my Airstream, ones with separate RV parking are ok, but these aside, I would 100 times rather stay at WalMart, and 1000 times rather stay in the places I stay in. The places I select are picked to be quiet, safe, low traffic, places where I am not in anyones way, but highly visible, where it’s easy for me to handle my own security.

In addition to all this, when I used to HAVE to sleep in truckstops, I would mumble rebuke toward the RV people who who were parked in “my spot” when I rolled into a crowded truckstop at 2;00 AM.

Old 11-18-2017, 08:44 AM   #968
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I once found a Flying J that had a RV parking lot separate from the trucks. I found a space with grass to the left and it was quiet for the night.
I usually stay in private campgrounds, but there are times you arrive at 10pm and leave at 9am, and spending $40 to sleep is too much.
Maybe private campgrounds should set aside "Boondocking sites".
No facilities, but inside the campground for $20. I'd love that.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:04 AM   #969
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I once found a Flying J that had a RV parking lot separate from the trucks. I found a space with grass to the left and it was quiet for the night.
I usually stay in private campgrounds, but there are times you arrive at 10pm and leave at 9am, and spending $40 to sleep is too much.
Maybe private campgrounds should set aside "Boondocking sites".
No facilities, but inside the campground for $20. I'd love that.

We leave too late and arrive too late to do the campground thing when we travel, Elizabeth and I have talked about your $20 concept a lot of times..... that would be super cool.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:07 AM   #970
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
When I as still rving I found the truck stops and walmarts equally noisy with the truck stops much safer. Just my observation.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:07 AM   #971
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
There are in fact campgrounds that keep an easy in, easy out row of pull thru sites just for overnighters.

I like Passport America for inexpensive, overnight stops.

Maggie
Old 11-18-2017, 09:23 AM   #972
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
There are in fact campgrounds that keep an easy in, easy out row of pull thru sites just for overnighters.

I like Passport America for inexpensive, overnight stops.

Maggie

There is a nice campground with “stay over” pull through spots at exit 302 on I-10 in Arizona, unfortunately, Boxers are on the disallowed dog list for this campground.... its too bad, we liked it, but then Bisbee is only an hour away....

Old 11-19-2017, 08:24 AM   #973
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
salem , West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
When I as still rving I found the truck stops and walmarts equally noisy with the truck stops much safer. Just my observation.

After parking for about 10 min in a Walmart we planned to sleep at once and feeling like we might become witnesses in some type of criminal trial we have started looking at yelp and other online reviews prior to picking a Walmart to camp at. Particularly looking at pictures.

All of them have bad reviews but there is some key information if you look for it.

Also we look at the surrounding businesses. If there is a Hilton or high end restaurant nearby it’s probably an ok neighborhood, if there’s nothing but fast food and pawn shops find another Walmart.

The Walmart really vary widely, this method has worked well for us, and like most we only do this when we are driving until late and getting up and driving some more.
Jeremiwvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 12:52 PM   #974
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
We stay at Walmart's also, however we look very hard and long at the neighborhood before stopping. Never at a road side rest area to many cars in and out to ease to do something and get out for the bad guys. City parks are good for us if the neighborhood is good. We have stayed in a few truck stops, again look at the neighborhood. Be safe enjoy traveling in the Airstream and seeing this great USA
Old 11-26-2017, 08:51 AM   #975
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Howdy......

Can anyone enlighten as to the truth that Wal Marts allow MHs and TTs to park overnight in their parking lots? I overheard someone say this, but as a beginner, I thought I'd ask the pros.

Thanks.....

Nick Danger, Third Eye
1989 370 LE
The best way to find the Walmarts that allow overnight parking is to use a smartphone app called ONP Walmart. It's available on iPhones and androids and I think it costs about $2. We've used it for years with success.
Respect Each Other
Road Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 08:21 AM   #976
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Saint Paul , Minnesota
Have stayed overnight in many
Walmart pkg lots. An app, Allstays, for example, will tell you which ones do and which ones don't allow overnights. I always go in the store and ask about security. Also reassuring to see others staying there too. They will tell you where to park,
find a level spot and if you use a generator lock it to something. Chain is very noisy, we use a cable.
Mhphhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:57 PM   #977
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
If a generator is running, it will be very hard at night to hear the cut-off saw at work releasing the attaching security cable/chain to whatever and then the sudden silence as the get away vehicle drives away with another “borrowed” gen set to sell....,

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 04:10 AM   #978
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Heard a story of someone who woke to no power. Seems someone left an old lawnmower running outside as they stole his gen. Not enough change in sound to alert owner!
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:31 AM   #979
Luminous

1983 27' Excella
Vesuvius , Virginia
The only time we have stayed at a Walmart is in Manchester, TN on the nights before Bonnaroo. It's a very unique situation, as the parking lot turns into a one night flash campground, with RVs, trailers, tents, EZ ups, vans, Prevost buses, and car sleeping. The parking lot is across the street from the Bonnaroo VIP entrance which opens at 7am on Thursday, so it is super convenient, free, and full of entertainment.

Safe and fun for sure, but definitely not quiet. Manager of the Walmart said he makes more money that Wednesday than he makes on Black Friday.
LY007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:34 AM   #980
4 Rivet Member

2022 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Villa Park , Alabama
Wal-Marts are a nice resource, and something that should be preserved.
Wal-Marts struggle with an image problem; they bristle with the perception of them being a low-rent retailer....which they are, but they're trying to shed that reality.
If overnight campers set up homestead with awnings and lawn chairs, and make their parking lot look like hillbilly heaven, they'll change their policy.
drmox is offline   Reply With Quote