Old 09-20-2020, 04:57 AM   #1221
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I wasn’t at all trying to dismiss safety measures for WalMart or other parking, which we have gone over repeatedly in this lengthy thread and elsewhere on these forums.

If anyplace looks unsafe, one would of course move on.

Maggie
Old 09-20-2020, 05:32 AM   #1222
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I want to add, here, that my opinions stem from decades of experience with people from all walks of life, not from a naive, overly rosy view of human nature.

My opinions, based on my experiences.

Maggiw
Old 09-20-2020, 06:09 AM   #1223
Rivet Master

42° 2' 27" N / 74° 7' 6" W , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweybright View Post
To clarify...they do not all have security cameras, contrary to your statement that they do. I have been in at least 7 in non Walmart owned centers where there were no cameras. In Virginia, Illinois, Texas, Missouri and Oklahoma. My experience is if Walmart owns the land they do have cameras, but where they rent the building there are not always cameras.

And I have had cars do the zoom around at 2 am in Virginia. I have had drug dealers pulling up behind our trailer and moving between cars to "do the deal" off site then coming back to get into their respective vehicles in Illinois. I have had someone tripped out asking if they could join us for dinner in Missouri..... None of which required me to be "peeking behind my blinds to see what others are doing"!!!!

I am very happy for you that you have never experienced any of these experiences but my advice from earlier stands. I will still do the Wally world stays when traveling but have my checks and balances in place and suggest others do what works for them.

I totally agree that by and large we are safe. Yet given the weird world we are living in today taking stock and assessing your surroundings is not a totally bad idea. Hence I will continue to use the Wally world and suggest that it can be a viable tool to travel.

Just clarifying that painting a picture of wonderland and not one of check things out and be comfortable with the situation is not doing newbies a service, based on what I have personally experienced in the Wally World over night land.

Remind me never to travel with you, your a magnate for trouble. Sounds like a TV show.
Silvr_Bullet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 06:45 AM   #1224
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
Remind me never to travel with you, your a magnate for trouble. Sounds like a TV show.

I reread your post, my first impression was this guy has been a magnate for trouble, but in many years of travel I can see how incidents happen. Maybe a call to the local police department may shed some light on any documented problems at the planned stop over explaining the trailer operators vulnerabilities ex. single, alone etc.
Old 09-20-2020, 07:45 AM   #1225
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweybright View Post
I totally agree that by and large we are safe.
By and large you're safe at a riot too. It doesn't take everyone piling on you, it just takes one.
Imagine a large bowl of M&M's. Out of 300 only 10 are poisoned. Would you eat?
I have stayed at WalMart before. I was fine, but I didn't like cars zooming by at all hours. I was waiting for one to crash into me.
I dream of campgrounds providing "overnight" spots. No facilities, $20. It could be a grass field, but inside the campground's perimeter, heck, the parking lot!

I will agree that WalMarts vary greatly by location. Overnight in a Philadelphia WalMart will be 180 degrees from a WalMart in Oakley, Kansas.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:12 PM   #1226
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Perhaps a "magnet for trouble" would be more appropriate. Spell checker gives us so many giggles—"magnate for trouble" indeed.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 02:06 AM   #1227
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Talking

Oh boy . . .

. . . thinking the previous poster might actually be the principal . . . "magnate for trouble" . . . around these parts?

The leader of the pact maybe?

[PS -- don't want this thread to stagnate!]
Old 09-21-2020, 06:00 AM   #1228
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
For me, whether I have a comfortable overnight in a WalMart lot depends mostly on where exactly I choose to park.

In some of these, you have a 24-hour center and there are busy/noisy roads on all sides, but in many the Garden Center or the quick lube area are much quieter and offer some stretches of grass where I can walk Lily.

Not a lot of activity in those areas once their business hours are over, and much more conducive to rest.

One of the advantages of being small.

And am I afraid? I am not.

Maggie

On edit: I may have mentioned this book before, but it is one of the best reads, ever.

This book is not only about physical violence, but symbolic violence, which one can experience in relationships of all sorts.
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2020, 07:13 AM   #1229
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
Walmart parking

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerbadbrad View Post
I'm hardly a pro. But I did park nightly at Wal Marts when I travelled across Canada last month without any problems. This is a real convenience for me because I like to get to where I'm going quickly by spending most of the day on the road rather than paying to park in trailer parks. However, I'm hearing that more and more of them are beginning to post no-overnight parking signs because of complaints from neighbouring businesses and Wal Mart managers.

So there are a few things that we as RV'rs need to do. 1) Be on our best behavior while staying there. Keep noise levels down. Clean up after ourselves - no signs of us ever being there when we leave. 2) Park far from entrance doors to Wal Mart and neighbouring businesses. And if we feel the parking lot is already limited by its small size or because there are already too many RV's there, then lets move on to a campsite or the next Wal Mart. 3) Try to spend $10, $15, or $20 when the store opens, even if you don't need anything. Afterall, this is the reason why they are allowing us to stay there in the first place.

If we use simple common sense, then free Wal Mart overnight parking will be around for a long time. Maybe Home Depot and others will become jealous.
I think those who support a multi billion dollar company over local family run camp grounds should rethink their priorities!
Bev1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:47 AM   #1230
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev1940 View Post
I think those who support a multi billion dollar company over local family run camp grounds should rethink their priorities!
Okay.
And campgrounds who want to charge $60 for nothing more than my parking on their property for 8 hours should rethink their business plan.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:56 AM   #1231
Rivet Master

It’s like taxes, they need to meet current obligations and make a profit.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:51 AM   #1232
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This would be a good topic for a new thread, guys.

I agree with the idea of strictly overnight parking at a very reduced cost.

It’s one I would use.

We have stayed in a place somewhere near the Illinois and Kentucky or Tennessee line, I believe, that offered just this....electric only, as I recall, at $15-$20 a night.

For those who don’t want to pay the high costs of private campgrounds, but still want to have electricity....particularly when one really needs heat or AC...I believe this would be a much used option to parking lots.

Maggie
Old 09-21-2020, 11:56 AM   #1233
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Perhaps a "magnet for trouble" would be more appropriate. Spell checker gives us so many giggles—"magnate for trouble" indeed.
Oh good, it's not just me then
I try to resist correcting, sometimes it's hard.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE
Most of us don't know exactly what we want, but we're pretty sure we don't have it. -Alfred E. Neuman
richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 12:27 PM   #1234
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
I Google the address of the Walmart where I plan on stopping along with something like "overnight parking". You can usually get reviews like this and if you don't then don't stop.

Another thing I do is to use the app RV Parky to find RV places along my route. RV Parky will give you prices paid as well as reviews and phone numbers. I have found some nice overnight places for $20 to $25, with full hookups. If heading north and needing to winterize again, this is very handy.

https://www.rvparky.com/
Android or Apple is supported

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE
Most of us don't know exactly what we want, but we're pretty sure we don't have it. -Alfred E. Neuman
Old 09-21-2020, 03:48 PM   #1235
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
In the last 10 years of traveling with our RV we have stayed at many Wal-Mart's with no problems. We call ahead to verify to overnight parking. Upon arrival we always go inside to verify again.

If the Wal-Mart is a free standing location not connected to other businesses they will let you park unless there is a city ordinance against it.

Earlier this year there was news articles stating that Wal-Mart was stopping overnight parking at all their locations Nation wide. We haven't traveled any this year so I don't know what effect that has had with their stores.

I can't recall a single incident of insecurities while parking at a Wal-Mart. Although we have used Cracker Barrels, and others we have always felt safer at Wal-Mart since most are 24 hour operations.

There was something put in the last couple of years asking RV'ers to not use rest areas or truck stops because the truckers were having a difficult time finding parking for their mandatory rest. In the past we have used truck stops maybe 3 times.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:12 PM   #1236
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Don’t see many folks recommending a church or funeral home. These properties usually have some parking available mid-week and at night. Schools have good parking too but harder to track down the administration.

2017 25' Safari FB - “Fly Fish Inn
2010 F250 Lariat
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:50 PM   #1237
3 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Clayton , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Okay.
And campgrounds who want to charge $60 for nothing more than my parking on their property for 8 hours should rethink their business plan.
Agree 100%. Although I am in favor of supply-demard economics, if I am in route I would rather park at a Walmart, spend $40 on groceries and things, which helps employ workers, that spend $50 at a private lot that enriches a few.
smsasf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:58 PM   #1238
3 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Clayton , North Carolina
Just overnighted at the Walmart on southwest side of Casper, Wyoming. Went to Customer Serice and asked if ok. Young man said yes, for one night. I did my shopping and stayed there. Interestingly, there was an “old” trailer there that was wheel chocked, stabalized and no vehicles when I came or left. Also, beside that an old boat that was blocked up same way. Looked like couple units that you might see sitting in a field with 10-20 others that were purchased as salvage.
smsasf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 03:55 PM   #1239
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishByFly View Post
Don’t see many folks recommending a church or funeral home. These properties usually have some parking available mid-week and at night. Schools have good parking too but harder to track down the administration.
It's been a while, couple years or more, but someone once posted that they stopped and parked overnight in a church parking lot. They woke up the next morning to find themselves in the middle of the churches' fund raising festival and couldn't leave. So they just joined in and had a great time.

Traveling in an Airstream is kinda like being a Boy Scout....Be prepared (for anything).

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE
Old 09-22-2020, 05:18 PM   #1240
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
There is a similar story from us probably 10-11 years ago, when we overnighted in the parking area of an 1850’s church in very rural West Virginia.

By a creek, cows on the other side, spent a very peaceful night, had our coffee in the morning and were getting ready to leave when people started showing up.

A bake sale, hot dog roast, some such thing was about to commence, an annual event put on by the women of the church and which paid heating costs in the winter.

We gave a $20 donation to the heating fund, and got out of the way.

Maggie