Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-13-2019, 01:34 PM   #1181
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Thinking about staying overnight at Costco on way to Phoenix during Christmas week.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 10:24 AM   #1182
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Saw this earlier this week at Walmart in Austin...was wondering what TV he was pulling with? I think he was inside purchasing some more duct tape.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Walmart parking trailer.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	357638  
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 10:50 AM   #1183
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas

I'm loving his theft protection. No way anyone's getting through that plastic bag on his tongue to steal his trailer.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 11:32 AM   #1184
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Might have been abandoned, too, or someone has gone off to work.

I am reading more and more about restrictions coming across the country on sleeping in non-recreational vehicles, cities banning parking on streets, etc., which is soon going to affect all who do non traditional camping full or part time.

WalMart, Costco, Cracker Barrel, etc., will all be hit eventually.

What is the saying???....the most constant thing is change, or something to that effect.

Maggie
Old 12-14-2019, 11:55 AM   #1185
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Mo’ people . . . Mo’ problems . . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 09:58 AM   #1186
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Has anyone experienced any Walmart overnighting complications, due to the Coronavirus Covid-19 situation?

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:50 PM   #1187
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
There was a news item a couple weeks ago concerning overnight parking at Walmart stores. It seems Walmart will start discouraging RV overnight parking National wide. I really hate this since we use Walmart for an overnight stops. We've never had a bad experience parking at their stores.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 12:37 AM   #1188
3 Rivet Member

1960 28' Ambassador
Libertyville , Illinois
We stopped to overnight at a Walmart in Iowa a couple of weeks ago an found them to be playing loud salsa music all night. The Fantastic Fan drowned out the music. When I woke up and went outside to leave just before the store opening, the music had changed to Tom Petty and was much quieter.
Short563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 02:38 AM   #1189
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
A few bad apples have spoiled the barrel, so to speak. We have some really garish folks setting up their camp site on Walmart parking lots.

It may come to the point you won’t even be able to park on their lot to purchase supplies because of inconsiderate folks
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 05:53 AM   #1190
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
The Walmart in my town has never allowed overnight camping, I looked it up just for the heck of it a couple years ago. Yet, this summer I saw an old run down RV parked there for a week straight. Not hard to imagine Walmart's across the country may be seeing a lot more of that this year and want to stop it.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 06:57 AM   #1191
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
We were headed to a Harvest Host spot near Sioux Falls SD, but I got tired and pulled into a Cabelas in Mitchell SD. It was crazy. Awnings out, generators running, groups with lawn chairs lined up, loud music, big screen TVs, kids going everywhere on bikes. This was around 9:30. We went on through and found a quiet lot (away from where we were supposed to park) on the other side of the store. That’s the first time I’ve seen anything like that. Like a regular campground without a host. RVs all lined up side by side. No thank you..

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 11:28 AM   #1192
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Last Christmas week, I stopped in Palm Desert, CA (on way to Phoenix) for the night and to shop at Walmart for a few supplies but noticed a lot of people going in and out of Walmart, my wife and I decided to park at nearby Costco. Saw only one RV parked there and We settled down for the night and loved the quietness. No issues at all.

Later I had to drop off Bambi for repairs at AS of Santa Barbara in Buellton early in the morning. We decided to go to Costco in Santa Maria, CA and park there for the night. Next morning, we went to AS dealer and dropped off the AS. No issues. Was the only one parked overnight.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 12:33 PM   #1193
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Grand Junction apparently has an ordinance prohibiting it, but I've seen RVs at the Walmart for overnight. Not sure there is enforcement. There aren't many campgrounds around here and at least one or more are not very good, but the city apparently wants to protect them and that probably sends more people to the next town to stop. We've never stopped at a Walmart or anywhere else like that. That is not our idea of boondocking.

Most newer RV's, with the exception of Airstreams, have slides. If you don't open them, it can be very hard to move around the RV and may be impossible. Awnings may protect from intense sun during the summer long heat wave in the southwest. I agree that camping with with grills, lawn chairs, etc., may be pushing it too far, but slides seem ok to me.

This thread is so old Nick Danger, third eye, probably has lost his PI license by now. I looked at some of the early posts and recognized a few names, very few. I guess I'm an old timer now. At least I remember the Firesign Theater.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 10:40 AM   #1194
3 Rivet Member

2005 34' Classic
tucson , Arizona
This thread is so old Nick Danger, third eye, probably has lost his PI license by now. I looked at some of the early posts and recognized a few names, very few. I guess I'm an old timer now. At least I remember the Firesign Theater.

Hahahaha...I think we're all bozos on this bus...
dvgofaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 11:36 AM   #1195
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvgofaz View Post

Hahahaha...I think we're all bozos on this bus...
And follow the rubber line.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 02:43 PM   #1196
3 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Clayton , North Carolina
Walmart Parking Update

On first long trip from NC to western states. Stayed at private paid campground in Cape Girardeau, MO. Was considering staying at Knob Noster State Park because that was where I served 1st year of USAF enlistment. It was fullduring time I wanted. Down the road is Warrensburg and they have Walmart S. I called and spoke with manager. He said sorry, NO. That with Covid situation they are not allowing. I said thanks and then goodbye. Then I thought what does Covid have to do with overnight parking? Is itbeing used as an excuse because you really just don’t want to allow overnight parking butdo not want to say so. Think about it. If I try another Walmart and they say no because of Covid I am going to say “Oh, ok, so you are barring anyone from out of state or out of the area from stopping by and shopping for groceries and goods in your store”. What do you think they will say? They will say no, as long as you wear mask and practice social distancing. Soif I can come into your store and spread the virus from bt body how is parking in your lot more problematic. I don’t want to argue with you, but don’t say because of Covid, just say you no longer allow, you don’t need an excuse.
smsasf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:33 PM   #1197
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
We use an app on our iPhones, Walmart ONP, when looking for Walmarts where we can spend the night. It's pretty accurate. If the app says onp is allowed, or if we see other RVs and/trucks parked, we drive in and spend the night without asking. Over 9 years, many regional and three cross country trips, we've never been told to leave using this approach.

One side benefit of the app is that is shows which Walmarts do not allow onp, saving us lots of frustration.

We do carefully observe onp etiquette, and we always go in and buy some stuff.
Respect Each Other
Road Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:48 PM   #1198
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Walmart overnight parking

One Walmart manager I came to told me that while they had no issue with overnight parking, the local cops had a tendency to ticket overnighters in their parking lot, especially out of state vehicles. I thanked her, paid for my stuff, and moved on to the next Walmart which was safe to park at.

It never hurts to ask a member of management before parking. And yes, it’s also ethical, in my mind, to shop for supplies where you park. In the case of Cracker Barrel, if they have RV parking slots marked, it’s safe to park overnight. Still ethical to stop in for a meal and browse the store to return the courtesy.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 06:45 AM   #1199
4 Rivet Member

2022 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Villa Park , Alabama
I prefer the Cracker Barrel with their decadent high calorie surprisingly inexpensive food over a Walmart.
I just double tip the wait staff rather than shop the store.
drmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 07:26 AM   #1200
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
The manager comments to SMSASF about covid makes no sense.

Like others I use an app and check signs in the parking lot. I always park near another RV or semi truck which is usually on the edge of the parking lot. In general, Walmarts in urban areas will not allow overnight parking but those along the highways do. Asheville, NC is a good example. I was living there when the stores in the city stopped allowing it after "homesteaders" in pop up campers and school buses trashed the edge of the parking lot. They were caught going into the woods and using the storm water drains for personal use so the health department was involved. Keep in mind Asheville has a huge homeless issue, especially in summer.

Now when I pass through Asheville for 1 night stays, I use the Walmart in Weaverville about 9 miles north of I-40. Always buy something inside and speak to the staff when possible. Last 2 visits, I was the only RV on arrival. When I left next morning, there were 6+ all around me
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote