Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2018, 05:36 PM   #981
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmox View Post
Wal-Marts are a nice resource, and something that should be preserved.
Wal-Marts struggle with an image problem; they bristle with the perception of them being a low-rent retailer....which they are, but they're trying to shed that reality.
If overnight campers set up homestead with awnings and lawn chairs, and make their parking lot look like hillbilly heaven, they'll change their policy.
Soo.... to accomodate WalMart's image improvment program...I suggest that only Airstreams should be allowed to overnight in their parking lots.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 05:46 PM   #982
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Works for me!!!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 03:08 PM   #983
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
I like it! And no generators, no lounge chairs, and no snoring!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:52 PM   #984
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
There’s a smartphone app, Allstays ONPWalmart, that provides current status on every Walmart overnight parking. We’ve used it for years. It’s excellent.
Respect Each Other
Road Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 04:51 PM   #985
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Allstays great app. We been using and writing reviews for a few years Yes. It works
Old 04-25-2018, 07:51 PM   #986
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Today in the lowest rung of hell category, I can report that DH and I were booted out of a yes-park Walmart around midnight last night by some friendly police that the management had summoned. It was a well-regarded Walmart, reported quiet and safe on Allstays, but perhaps under new management or something because someone sure had a bee in their bonnet.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:06 PM   #987
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Today in the lowest rung of hell category, I can report that DH and I were booted out of a yes-park Walmart around midnight last night by some friendly police that the management had summoned. It was a well-regarded Walmart, reported quiet and safe on Allstays, but perhaps under new management or something because someone sure had a bee in their bonnet.
Irrespective of the listing, I always ask for permission to overnight at the customers service desk.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:27 AM   #988
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
If I see other trailers parked, I just pull in. It’s usually bedtime..
Mind telling us which Walmart asked you to leave?

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:36 AM   #989

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have done many overnight stops at various Wal-Marts in many parts of the country. We always check-in with store management and ask for permission. In recent years we call the Wal-Mart prior to arrival to see if they allow ONP. This saves us a lot of time

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:14 AM   #990
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
Visit the mart

Love the China-mart thread. it is the energizer bunny of threads. Good info and stories. In February, I was working in the Henderson NC area, and the cracker barrel there had allowed an motorhome and two fifthwheels stay over-nite in their parking lot. I talked to the nice lady walking her Papillon, told me the cracker barrel was very accommodating to let them stay. so they are another option.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:18 AM   #991
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
We were looking for a one-night stand in the Austin area on a Saturday. All RV parks full up. AllStays reported Cracker Barrel and Walmart in Buda allowed overnights. But the comments by users said that Buda police were rousting RVs out, with a max 3 hour parking limit. Even though O/N parking was OK with the store management.
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 05:17 AM   #992
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Allstays is run by a guy who goes by the name of Adam Longfellow. He emailed me after I related the story above in the form of a review, and noted that Walmart is getting more unpredictable. He's having multiple stories come to him quite like mine. Three people in a row will stay at a particular Walmart with not a peep issued by anyone. Then the next person gets ousted by police for no apparent rhyme or reason.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 05:56 AM   #993
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' International
Boise , Idaho
This is great information. We haven’t experienced an overnight shopping center stay yet but likely will at some point as our journeys mature. Perhaps some bad eggs have soured WalMart by pushing the limits such as setting out awnings and chairs, grilling, opening the party deck,etc. Allstays is a great resource. Glad to know they are responsive.
Leilanisteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:40 AM   #994
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sometimes you run into local ordinances that conflict with what store management is willing to allow.

That happened to us once, when after store management had given the okay the night security came on shift and told us we had 60 seconds to pull out or he would have us towed.

In my experience, the more smaller and/or more urban the WalMart, the less likelihood that overnight stays are allowed by the town within which that WalMart resides.

Maggie
Old 05-03-2018, 07:01 AM   #995
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
If I'm anticipating a route and look ahead to see about Walmarts I will usually call to ask. Usually I'm told it OK but recently while looking for a quick overnight in the Savannah area I called 4 Walmarts and got 4 different answers but all "NO". One told me that they were not a 24 hr store so " not allowed". Another simply said sorry but no. But in the same immediate location as one of them I called a Crackerbarrel and was told sure, no problem. That tells me it's not a city ordinance issue. So what is it, who knows. Maybe a new manager, maybe a grumpy old manager. From now on I'll probably try to plan for a late afternoon arrival and just see if others are there and use that as my guide.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:31 AM   #996
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by TayaraTravel View Post
We were looking for a one-night stand in the Austin area on a Saturday. All RV parks full up. AllStays reported Cracker Barrel and Walmart in Buda allowed overnights. But the comments by users said that Buda police were rousting RVs out, with a max 3 hour parking limit. Even though O/N parking was OK with the store management.
The Walmart Supercenter on 290 and Mopac (Loop 1) in SW Austin, allows overnight parking. You need to park close to the entrance by 290, but I just talked with them and no issues. I see 1 or 2 RV's there often. You will likely come in from Houston area on 290 anyway...Several good places to eat in area.

5017 W. Highway 290, 78735
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:00 AM   #997
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
If I'm anticipating a route and look ahead to see about Walmarts I will usually call to ask. ....
Apologies to polarlyse in-advance...(not picking on you, just conveniently using your quote)....

... But I am surprised at this method of travel, I.E., planning a route with deliberate intentions of free-parking in shopping-centers. Personally, I would only consider such in an emergency, such as sleepiness, or breakdown, or other unplanned stop.... not as a deliberate plan. When we have the luxury of time to plan an intentional trip, we call ahead also... but to RV parks, State and Nat'l Parks, or other "legitimate" campgrounds which are designed for and hold themselves out as welcoming to campers.
I find the idea of deliberate use of shopping centers for pre-travel planning ...unsorry for the truth... just sorry behavior. CrackerBarrel's at least have designated parking places for RVs (although inconsiderate 4-wheelers often rudely park in them), and with that attitude I don't feel the same about taking their hospitality in (although I've not tried it.)
If Wal-Mart or other large stores with large parking-lots wanted to welcome overnighters then they should do the same... designate particular places for RV-ers. Perhaps we should as-a-group begin to solicit/lobby/encourage WM mgr's to consider that avenue of relief. Maybe Target, Costco, Sams, etc might follow suit.... but meanwhile, I'll not feel especially like hugging those that use such places as a deliberate plan of travel. (Exceptions always to retired military personnel such as polarlyse...which might actually be a great PR opportunity for WM to begin such a plan.)
Just my opinion, ...not trying to flame anyone.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:04 AM   #998
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
Randy Qaide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilanisteve View Post
This is great information. We haven’t experienced an overnight shopping center stay yet but likely will at some point as our journeys mature. Perhaps some bad eggs have soured WalMart by pushing the limits such as setting out awnings and chairs, grilling, opening the party deck,etc. Allstays is a great resource. Glad to know they are responsive.
Yeah, there are a lot 'Cousin Eddies' out there stinking it up for the rest of us.
I have seen a couple over-niters at the Home Depot every now and again.
Does Costco allow you to stay overnight ? ( if you ask of course)

Have a good one
Old 05-03-2018, 09:07 AM   #999
ZOZ
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Peru , Illinois
Wal Mart Is A Toss Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
... I called 4 Walmarts and got 4 different answers but all "NO". One told me that they were not a 24 hr store so " not allowed". Another simply said sorry but no.... That tells me it's not a city ordinance issue. So what is it, who knows. Maybe a new manager, maybe a grumpy old manager....
We have a Supercenter Wal Mart here in Peru, IL. Supercenters have groceries and are open 24/7. So, while shopping there I asked an associate if RVs can overnight park. The manager answered my question: "Yes, as long as you park on the side of the store or in back." Semi-trucks park there all the time on the side of the store.

If it's not a Wal Mart Supercenter store, I wouldn't bother calling to ask.

Of the three Walmarts in Illinois that do not allow overnight parking one is in Geneseo, IL along I-80. So I stopped there last week and noted that there was a sign posted on one light pole stating no overnight parking. No ordinance was cited. That Wal Mart was NOT a Supercenter meaning it's closed some part of the day.

I noted the Crackerbarrel in Ottawa, IL has three long 60-foot truck pull through parking spaces in the back of the store. They must allow it, therefore.

zoz
ZOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:37 AM   #1000
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
1991 29' Excella
Chesapeake , Virginia
Just my opinion.
I would never stay at a Walmart.
I feel safest when driving long range at
Flying J/Pilot or any clean well lighted truck stop. Flying J has designated rv parking .
If not a Flying J . I just pick a truck stop that looks good and park amongst the 18 wheelers. Take a nap,clean up in my coach,eat a snack,fuel and keep rolling.
Truck stops like Flying J also have rv sani-stations so you can dump in case you need to.
I also scan fuel stops to be sure there are no loiterers around fuel pumps.
But there are plenty more seasoned travelers than me.
Tom
Muriel 1 is offline   Reply With Quote