Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-16-2013, 06:26 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Vulture vandalism

Vulture vandalism at Lake Monroe causes Indiana DNR warning | Indianapolis Star | indystar.com

Quote:
BLOOMINGTON, IND. — Visitors to a southern Indiana recreation area are being warned that they could find their cars vandalized after a day of boating — but not by people.

Indiana Department of Natural Resources officials have posted a sign at Lake Monroe’s Fairfax State Recreation Area warning visitors that black vultures could cause damage to parked cars. The birds have been blamed for broken windshield wipers and torn window gaskets.

DNR staff also have started firing racing pistols into the air in an effort to drive away the aggressive vultures and prevent roosting cultures, The Herald-Times reported .

“We’ve removed roosting trees, snags, in the area where we’ve had problems,” said Corey Rieman, assistant property manager at Lake Monroe. “We’ve put up signs advising people that vultures can cause damage.”

The aggressive vultures, big birds with featherless, black heads, are a relatively new phenomenon to Lake Monroe. For many years, Spring Mill State Park near Mitchell was the northern edge of the black vulture range. That changed in 1998, when the species started being spotted north of Lake Monroe. Now, the birds are regularly seen throughout central Indiana.

DNR officials say they don’t want the species, which is protected by federal and international law, to leave the lake because the vultures help clean up road kill. But the DNR doesn’t want the birds roosting near parking areas where they could do damage, either.

Officials at Everglades National Park in Florida have battled problems with the vultures and have been forced to loan tarps and bungee cords to visitors so they can cover their cars in areas near where the birds roost.

Rieman said he doesn’t know why black vultures target the soft synthetic materials on cars and trucks. He said they don’t eat the material they’ve torn up.

Of course, you can't really blame the vultures.

Most of todays electric super sub-compacts look like road-kill.

But, keep an eye on your Airstream... just in case they're into hero sandwiches.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:20 AM   #2
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
The crows in the everglades know how to open zippered backpacks and bike bags in order to steal food and other shiny objects they find interesting.

Same thing for the ravens in many of the western parks.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
yeah, I saw birds stealing stuff in YNP, too.

but, they would keep the shiny baubles and eat the food... these guys are destructive for no good reason.

I blame their parents
Old 04-16-2013, 08:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Vultures

Here, in Texas, the Black Vultures are a recognized "predator" and designated problem pest. The more common Red Headed" Vulture are not so designated. You can "get rid of" the Black Headed ones....not so with the "Reds."
Old 04-16-2013, 08:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
Quote:
but, they would keep the shiny baubles and eat the food... these guys are destructive for no good reason.
ravens, crows and my parrots in particular are VERY smart creatures.

I dont know much about vultures but i do know how destructive parrots can be. Shiny things = toys. Soft things ( furniture, wood moldings, fabric including clothes and bedding) are all fair grounds for chewing.
Quote:
Rieman said he doesn’t know why black vultures target the soft synthetic materials on cars and trucks. He said they don’t eat the material they’ve torn up.
This time of year, especially - It's nesting season! Little birdies and big birdies all over are collecting nesting material. Old towels and cardboard boxes take the brunt of it with my four parrots, but the occasional duvet cover or pant leg will occasionally take a hit. My birdies would destroy window gaskets en masse if given the chance.
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:06 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We hit a vulture on a rural road a couple of years ago, one of those huge and especially ugly ones that simply could not tear itself from the carrion in the road. Doug had slowed down quite a bit.......but, apparently, not quite enough.

It smashed our front grill and imbedded itself within. So disgusting.

Doug says "You never have a BB gun when you need one. "

Maggie
Old 04-16-2013, 09:19 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Vultures are a pretty wide class of species. A common one in North America is the Black Vulture:

However, also included is the California Condor, which has had a difficult time. These are the ones you see at the Grand Canyon.

Here's some info:

Vulture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Black Vulture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
California Condor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lynn
Old 04-16-2013, 07:59 PM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
UUMMMM, just think of what them ol' buzzards been eatin' before they's shittin' on your car.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote