Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2016, 06:18 PM   #1

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Healdsburg , California
Visiting Joshua Tree and Yosemite?

Couple of questions...
I can't see if Joshua Tree has any camp sites that allow trailers. We have a 25 ft Airstream and would love to go to Joshua Tree. Anybody know the scoop?

Also what are your favorite sites for Airstreaming in Yosemite?

Probably a thread exists on these but I couldn't find it easily by searching.

Thanks in advance.
Alan
cellarrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:35 PM   #2
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...te-154611.html

Yes a recent Yosemite thread - check it out. Most likely you will stay outside the park unless you reserve a place with lots of lead time. Yosemite is a popular place.

No clue about Joshua tree, but from the NP website -

There are no hookups for RVs at any campground in Joshua Tree. Black Rock and Cottonwood Campgrounds have RV-accessible potable water and dump stations. At Hidden Valley and White Tank Campgrounds, RVs and trailers may not exceed a combined maximum length of 25 feet.

Have a good trip. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:51 PM   #3
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Last year we had a great time camping at Joshua Tree in our 27FB trailer at the Black Rock campground. Here's the blog post: http://www.casarocinante.com/Blog/Jo...ree-NP-03-2015

Have a wonderful trip!

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
We camped at Joshua Tree last month. It was awesome. Go to the NP website for site selection. We were at Jumbo Rock, if I remember properly. I thought it was kind of tight with a 25'. Its dry camping. Look at the area weather reports before you go. Over the 4th of July weekend, it was hot during the day, and cooler at night.

Be prepared for awesome sights, especially at night.
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:09 PM   #5

Agree, Jumbo Rock is pretty tight for anything bigger than a 23' trailer, though you could probably get a 25' into a spot or two. We toured it after setting up camp at Black Rock and felt good with our choice.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
My son picked the camp (he was stationed at 29 Palm's and had tent camped out there quite often). We took up 2 spots, one for the trailer and one for the truck...

We enjoyed our stay, it's a beautiful park.
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:35 PM   #7
ntsbltsrvits

2015 27' FB International
2016 30' International
Eagle , Idaho
Joshua Tree

Three of us Airstreamers are going to Joshua Tree, Indian Cove in November.
One 27' and two 30'. The website was specific with size for each site and had pics of each site.
Have fun!
Cowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 05:04 AM   #8
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Joshua Tree has more friendly sites at the campground near I 10 and that visitor entrance station. The others offer some sites. All are first come, first serve, and taken by check out time in most cases. We stayed in the 'overflow' area, north and east of the town of Joshua Tree, as we were only overnighting anyway. Free dry camping, no limitations on RV size as the area is a flat dry lake bed for miles and miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Tom
TVKetchum
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:28 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Mattituck , New York
We stayed at Joshua Tree with our 25 AS last winter. There are some good sites and some smaller. Yosemite site was small but it worked and it was a memorable trip with a California earthquake and snow storm.
Dottie and John
darsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 05:50 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Grayling , Michigan
Camped at Joshua Tree a few years ago it got cold and the heater ran. Unfortunately my GM truck didn't have an isolater and I had left it plugged in by the hitch receiver--even on star was dead in the morning. Fortunately someone else did the same thing. Even more fortunate was that someone was bright enough to carry jumper cables. The park is beautiful and the other campers great. Just check to see if your tow vehicle has an isolater. Other friends with GM vehicles don't so to be safe unplug. It's a long way to help.
cando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 06:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Despite the name Black Rock is not as scenic as Indian Cove and Jumbo Rocks. Nothing really wrong with Black Rock but it is kind of separate from the rest of the park. There is a private campground in the area with hookups but I forget it's name.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:11 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The road to BLACK ROCK was one pot hole after another when we went there in the spring of 2014. At the very back of the park, we were able to park our 2013 25FB International Serenity. Snaking through the park to the camping site was a challenge as we were towing with a 2012 Ram 2500HD Cummins 4x4 short bed and the cactus were very close to the winding road. I think we were on site 068.

Was a lovely place and it was our first trip, so there were lots of firsts.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:05 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Box Elder , SD
You have some great advice/comments regarding JT, and based on our experience they are right on point.

Regarding Yosemite, we were there last year while camping in the Alabama Hills near Lone Pine and Bishop CA. We went over to look at Yosemite campgrounds for future reference, and were VERY surprised at the POOR condition of the campgrounds. I wouldn't pull any 'low rider' Airstream into any of them. The roads were heavily pot holed and deep.

We had a great time in a BLM primitive campground in the Alabama Hills and at the Boulder Creek RV Park in Lone Pine. We can also recommend Death Valley Nat'l Park, but not in the Summer!!

There is a great museum in Lone Pine about all the movies, esp. Westerns, which were made in the Alabama Hills. You can also see the adverse effects of LA pumping the Owens River Valley dry!!!

Good luck on your travels!
streamintrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
The road to BLACK ROCK was one pot hole after another when we went there in the spring of 2014.

Good news, everyone, that road was fixed up and in beautiful shape as of last March, 2015.

Old 08-19-2016, 02:44 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
When I was stationed in Twentynine Palms, we use to go hiking in what was then Joshua Tree National Monument. At that time (early 80's), there were no real trailer sites. The house my ex and I were renting was just about ½ mile from the back edge of the park. It was great to just wander over and enjoy the park. I keep wanting to go back, but I keep finding other spots I want to see. ... A good first world problem.

Enjoy Joshua Tree, it's certainly one of our more hidden gems (along with Capital Reef).
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:12 PM   #16

We loved it there. One attraction of Black Rock, which is indeed somewhat separate from the rest of the park: Potable water supply and a dump station at the campground. No hookups, of course, but that water bonus can be very nice if you're planning to stay a while.

We were incredibly disappointed, BTW, to not have the time to stop at Yosemite as as well as JTNP. Hopefully, the next time we're down that way...