Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Va. Beach to Shawnee on the Delaware PA

I'm going to a conference next week - at Shawnee on the Delaware in Eastern PA. Mapquest recommends a lot of "toll" and "partial toll" roads... Starting with the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel in VA beach to the Eastern Shore - $25 one way the last time I took it!

Still, I'd rather NOT go up I-64/I-95 around DC & Baltimore - but I'm a bit concerned that some of the tolls will be egregious - and may be on roads that restrict or forbid trailers.

Any alternate suggestions from those who know the roads? And don't even suggest a side trip to Lakewood NJ and Colonial Airstream -
Lead us not into temptation.... vs
Lead a snot into temptation.
Also good campgrounds near Shawnee Inn & Golf Resort?

Thank you in advance, Paula

Old 10-01-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
bump
Old 10-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Is mapquest taking you via route 13 to Salisbury then to Dover or route 13 to rt 113 to Dover then on to the toll road, Rt 1, to New Castle De. (Traffic will certainly be lighter if you go that way rather then I 64 /I 95). If so there are two tolls. You can by-past the toll road by staying on Rt 13 but it will take you through a few towns and there are a lot more lights. After that I am not sure which way you will go. There is a toll for the De. Memorial bridge but you pay that only going south. Not sure of the cost as I use ezpass.

Gas in Salisbury was running about 3.70 as of today
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Hi Paula,
Consider taking the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel (I know it's expensive, I've done it several times) up to Salisbury, MD on Rt. 13. There is a bypass around Salisbury, and I recommend it.

Continue on Rt. 13 up to Dover, DE. There is a bypass around Dover (Rt. 1 Bypass) that goes all the way up to the Chesapeake & Delaware Canal, but it is a toll road. I don't recall how much they charge for trailers, but a car or truck is $1.00 on weekdays, and $2.00 on weekends, so it can't be too bad, but there are two tolls before you get to the C&D Canal. When towing, I usually stay on Rt. 13 and go through Dover because it's not a bad drive, except there are several traffic lights. If you go through Dover, you'll still be on Rt. 13, which goes all the way to Wilmington, DE. I usually bypass Wilmington by taking I-495 and merge onto I-95 north of Wilmington. After that, I'm not sure what tolls kick in as you head north around Philly. Other than the Rt. 1 bypass around Dover, I don't believe there are any tolls from the Bay Bridge Tunnel to Philadelphia.

If you plot a course from Virginia Beach to the Shawnee Inn & Golf Resort using Google Maps, it will take you on this route, but will put you on the Rt 1 bypass at Dover, instead of Rt. 13.

It's a nice flat drive. Have a safe trip.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote