Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-11-2021, 06:56 PM   #1
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Utility bed: Change my mind

With the Tradewind rebuild, I will be needing a replacement tow vehicle. Once restored I am planning to resume extended (multi-month) trips and Alaska is just sitting up there waiting....

The biggest thing I disliked about extended living in the camper before was there was always crap everywhere- there simply wasn't enough storage. A couple times I mused that a utility bed like plumbers and electricians use might well be just the thing for all my stuff (extra food, camera gear, painting supplies, tools, hoses, blocks, power cords- you get the idea). It occurs to me that since I am going to be buying a truck anyway, maybe I should just do it.

Talk me out of it.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 07:09 PM   #2
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondocker View Post
With the Tradewind rebuild, I will be needing a replacement tow vehicle. Once restored I am planning to resume extended (multi-month) trips and Alaska is just sitting up there waiting....

The biggest thing I disliked about extended living in the camper before was there was always crap everywhere- there simply wasn't enough storage. A couple times I mused that a utility bed like plumbers and electricians use might well be just the thing for all my stuff (extra food, camera gear, painting supplies, tools, hoses, blocks, power cords- you get the idea). It occurs to me that since I am going to be buying a truck anyway, maybe I should just do it.

Talk me out of it.
You can't beat a utility bed for working out of....but...you will need a pretty stout truck as the weight of the body will consume most of the payload of an average truck before you even fill it up. I had an f-250 utility regular cab SRW and it was mostly overloaded, then I switched to a dually with a utility body, it held a lot more weight but could still be easily overloaded. You may find in order to have the payload you want you'll need a dually and a regular cab, maybe even 2WD. Also a lot of utility bodies will leak, especially into the compartments around the wheel wells, so keep that in mind.

A remodel outfit I know of bought 2 new F-250s and had utility beds put on them, they are grossly overloaded and having issues. The mechanic put Sumo Solos on them as a half-azzed measure just to try and keep them somewhat level as they are impossible to align.

How about one of those tall fiberglass toppers with shelves?
Old 02-11-2021, 07:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
I am interested to follow as I have had similar thoughts....
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 08:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Not a plug for any particular brand, but a bed cap with a drawer system should weigh less, cost less, and be more flexible, more practical...

WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:34 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2022 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Villa Park , Alabama
You could just go the simple easy route. Cost me $25; two 2x4s, and a sheet of plywood.Click image for larger version

Name:	20210211_223040.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	388531
drmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 06:32 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Haubstadt , Indiana
Utility truck cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
You can't beat a utility bed for working out of....but...you will need a pretty stout truck as the weight of the body will consume most of the payload of an average truck before you even fill it up. I had an f-250 utility regular cab SRW and it was mostly overloaded, then I switched to a dually with a utility body, it held a lot more weight but could still be easily overloaded. You may find in order to have the payload you want you'll need a dually and a regular cab, maybe even 2WD. Also a lot of utility bodies will leak, especially into the compartments around the wheel wells, so keep that in mind.

A remodel outfit I know of bought 2 new F-250s and had utility beds put on them, they are grossly overloaded and having issues. The mechanic put Sumo Solos on them as a half-azzed measure just to try and keep them somewhat level as they are impossible to align.

How about one of those tall fiberglass toppers with shelves?
I have enjoyed using my cap since adding it a couple of years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F6F35DDC-47CD-4155-BBDC-7E6ED60BAFF0.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	290.4 KB
ID:	388542   Click image for larger version

Name:	967E17B9-356D-4A74-9104-ACAF47CB90DD.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	257.1 KB
ID:	388543  

Name:	BDF721AB-CB66-4347-87A7-BD31BF46A6FC.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	388544   Click image for larger version

Name:	1CA3CC20-57C8-4079-BB65-C4AE9BCB446A.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	275.5 KB
ID:	388545  

Name:	7FA42231-86AF-44B4-AB82-76AC862CF713.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	425.1 KB
ID:	388547  
Ron Glow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 07:04 AM   #7
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
I've considered the same thing. A 3500 would be a good match, maybe a 2500 depending on the weight of the utility bed, tongue weight, etc. Lots of brands out there and I don't have any direct experience but Knapheide makes some of the best. Be sure to get sealed doors, good locks, and upgraded shelf systems.

Another thing to consider for ease of use, even with the utility bed, is a roll-out bed system of some sort. With a utility bed you'd very likely want a full-extension model. We had an Extendo-Bed in a previous vehicle and really liked it.

A couple of links:

https://www.knapheide.com/

https://www.extendobed.com/
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 07:12 AM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
My 2c...😋

With your older. smaller, lighter AS.....GO FOR IT!!👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 02-12-2021, 09:14 AM   #9
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
Recommend a 3500 or equivalent. Then get a Caravan Camper Top (Reno, NV). And finish with a slide.

Not inexpensive but top of the line and everything you want.
Photobum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 09:24 AM   #10
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Have you thought about a panel truck? - "The More We Explore" on YouTube used one for years
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 10:08 AM   #11
SilverFire

2007 19' Bambi
EUGENE , OR

I have owned many utility box trucks, a lot of weight in these custom metal commercial beds, and in addition, you lose working pickup bed cargo space. The market has exploded with all kinds of great mobile tool storage boxes by various vendors. The brand may not particularly important, but dimensions are to your specific vehicle.

I am using TacTix wheeled storage bins with a pull-out handle and a secure metal locking bail. They are great. My Honda 2200i fits in with hoses and power cords. They clear my 3 piece tonneau top for easy access without unhitching the trailer. I use 6 total with 3 in parallel, another holds my firepit and wood, another propane and biomass stoves, another cookware, etc... Saves weight, secure, and lightweight. Folding bikes slide in between these nifty storage bins! Works for me!

https://www.amazon.com/Tactix-320314...ustomerReviews
SilverFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 11:14 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Something to consider... what I have found is that accessibility trumps organization. I started out creating all kinds of dedicated cubbies and compartments in "clever" places, but after years of actively using these systems, I find that if something is "buried," it doesn't matter how clever I was in figuring out how to store it. Even if it's just something in the dinette bench, it can be a major pain to get to when you need it. So the more drawers and doors inside the rig, the better. Or, if it's an "exterior item," install more exterior access hatches (I collect fold down battery doors and fridge access hatches like baseball cards). For the truck, I think the huge drawer under a platform in the bed can be good because there's nothing in the way of opening the drawer (since it's under the platform). However, anything in there will take some effort to get to, and the big thing will be making sure you can open the tailgate and *extend the drawer* all the way without hitting your rig-- which probably won't be possible most of the time!
The side access bins on a utility truck are great for access, but sometimes not a very efficient use of space (lots given up to the structure of walls, doors, etc.) and as others have mentioned, you will quickly start to reach max weight capacity if you start loading up your bed this way. Plus, the weight is going up higher, and you really want it as low as possible. All that said, if you make sure *light* items are going in the bed/side compartments, you can mitigate these issues. I don't think trucks are the best tow vehicles when trying to supermaxout your storage options. Have you looked into vans and SUV's that are capable of towing your rig? Also, I have seen quite a few decommissioned ambulances for sale for cheap. They have crazy configurations of locking exterior compartments. I have always been curious about using one of these (a diesel, of course) as a tow vehicle.
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 11:22 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Newcastle , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNBright View Post
Not a plug for any particular brand, but a bed cap with a drawer system should weigh less, cost less, and be more flexible, more practical...

I really like the drawer setup you have in the back of the pickup. I have been looking at similar drawer setups but they all have real small compartments.
Can you please tell me what brand that is.
Thank You
MC
Old 02-12-2021, 12:09 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyC View Post
I really like the drawer setup you have in the back of the pickup. I have been looking at similar drawer setups but they all have real small compartments. Can you please tell me what brand that is.
Remember that if you are using that type of set up while towing, you will have to unhook the vehicle to be able to extend the drawer.
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 12:32 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina

I just ordered a new cap and a bedslide system which I think is what’s shown above. The large drawer size is just under half the width of my bed.
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 01:37 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Ione , CA
Good recommendations in this thread. Just remember that a full utility setup typically has a vertical back...sometimes further back than the truck bed it replaces. That can be a clearance issue with some trailers in dips or sharp turns. Check measurements beforehand...
Trowbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 01:53 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyC View Post
I really like the drawer setup you have in the back of the pickup. I have been looking at similar drawer setups but they all have real small compartments.
Can you please tell me what brand that is.
Thank You
MC
Not my setup: my Sierra, I have a tonneau on, not a cap. I thought about a setup like this, but as-of-yet, haven't had the need to go 'that' far. There are quite a few brands out there of these things: this one that I happened to grab a picture of, is from Decked:

https://decked.com/products/decked-g...13509556371522
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 03:11 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
I have Decked in the back of my truck, and a Softopper to cover it. They both work well, but have some downsides.
Decked is great for storage, but there is some wasted space in front of and behind the wheel wells.
The drawers do not extend fully, you have to reach in under the deck to get to the furthest forward cargo.
It’s 11” (or 13”, I don’t remember which) high, so you lose some headroom for tall items. But, more importantly, you have to lift everything that much higher. It’s not a big deal until you get to 40 pounds and up. The extra height, and reaching to set it on the deck, puts strain on my back. I end up lifting to the tailgate, climbing up and lifting again to the deck.
I like my Decked, but I can’t say it’s perfect.
Equal-I-Zer 10K/1000
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 04:50 PM   #19
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
So many great ideas, thanks for the options. Although I am am a bit disappointed that there were no predictions of how it would all end in rear end separation and and a fiery death. Its early days though.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 06:31 PM   #20
Toaster Life

2010 23' International
Tucson , Arizona
We just have a regular topper on the pickup and use a lot of bins, segregating materials by bin. Put the least used stuff towards the back. By having everything modular it is easy to get to
Toasterlife is offline   Reply With Quote