Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2008, 05:23 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
US federal employees, TDY, and camping...

So, it turns out, if you're going somewhere for work that would be cheaper to drive versus flying, you can actually take your camper and the government will reimburse you for campground fees, dumping fees, shower fees, and a host of other potential fees that usually don't come up. I can't find the URL that gives the information, but I have it at work and will post it later.

I discovered this because I'm going to be taking a trip to North Carolina in a couple weeks for work, and most people drive due to the proximity (it's about 5 hours' drive - so it's about as fast as flying when you consider all of the overhead at the airports) and the fact that driving is cheaper.

There's a campground right in the town I'm going to, and they're open year-round.

I'm excited - I wanted to get one more trip out of the camper this year, but my vacation budget is gone, so finding this made me pretty happy. Downside: I have to actually do work while I'm there... but I can deal with that!

Not only does this save the government some money, it also saves me money and aggravation - I won't have to kennel my cat (an unreimbursed expense) and instead can take him with me.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Do it all the time!

That's right.. I've done it at least 10 times... You can even claim oil if your Van is burning any! It's nice such that you never have to pack a suitcase either. What city and where ya going?

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
It's possible to factor in some additional time for driving if the cost of the flight is expensive. I was able to justify a two day drive (with the 'stream in-tow) instead of a pricey flight. The regs are pretty direct, whatever is to the benefit of the government.

And it's soooo much better than the crappy hotels that offer the gov'mnt rate
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:44 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Amelia Ct Hse , Virginia
Though I've been retired for eight years, before I retired we would travel and stay at the military camps like at Cherry Point, NC plus regular campgrounds. It was more convenient than spending 4 hours in a airport for a 1 hour air trip. Plus, we could extend our trip over a weekend to get to see the area. And it was nice to have Momma with me.
nypatnva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:22 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
The agency I used to work for had an additional perk, Cost Sharing. After you had saved the Government a certain amount during the fiscal year, you would be eligible to receive 1/2 of the savings as a bonus. So, if you stayed at a Motel 8 instead of a Marriott you saved the Government money. The same applied to staying at an RV Park. During my last 3 years of work, I had to be out of town on a regular basis. I was able to take the AS with me on all of my trips, except for a trip to New York City.

________Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Pretty much the same with the state I work for. They pay for whatever means I choose as long as I don't obviously try to rip them off.

Lynn
Old 10-29-2008, 11:02 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
PLEASE STOP.
Before I have to get my anti Government soap box out,because that always upsets the Moderators.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:36 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe View Post
That's right.. I've done it at least 10 times... You can even claim oil if your Van is burning any! It's nice such that you never have to pack a suitcase either. What city and where ya going?
Fayetteville, North Carolina. We have a couple tests of the 2010 Census operations going on there very soon (I work for the US Census Bureau). Actually, the first one should be starting right...about....NOW!

However I'm not going down there until after Turkey Day, for various reasons.

I thought I was going to have to take two trips (one for each operation), but instead it looks like I'll be taking just one trip and see both. It'll probably involve an extra weekend there during which I can either work and take comp time, or just call it time off and relax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stream 1529 View Post
The agency I used to work for had an additional perk, Cost Sharing. After you had saved the Government a certain amount during the fiscal year, you would be eligible to receive 1/2 of the savings as a bonus. So, if you stayed at a Motel 8 instead of a Marriott you saved the Government money. The same applied to staying at an RV Park. During my last 3 years of work, I had to be out of town on a regular basis. I was able to take the AS with me on all of my trips, except for a trip to New York City.
That's awesome. Wish my employer did that - I figure I'll be saving them several hundred dollars this way, in hotel vs. campground expenses alone (~$100/night vs. $27/night), and I'll be combining two trips into one, saving about 1000 miles of POV rate.

Old 10-29-2008, 04:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
... That's awesome. Wish my employer did that - I figure I'll be saving them several hundred dollars this way, in hotel vs. campground expenses alone (~$100/night vs. $27/night), and I'll be combining two trips into one, saving about 1000 miles of POV rate.
Wow, wish mine did, too! I've stayed at a LOT of Motel 6's in order to keep our budget in line, but never got a word of thanks for it from them.

Lynn
Old 10-30-2008, 11:21 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
FYI, this page has the rules. Section §301-11.12, part (e). (Or just search within the page for "camper".)

Old 10-30-2008, 11:23 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Wow, wish mine did, too! I've stayed at a LOT of Motel 6's in order to keep our budget in line, but never got a word of thanks for it from them.
I hate Motel 666. When I was in the cycling club, we used them a LOT on racing trips and not once did we have a trip that didn't have some problem with the reservations due to errors on their part, and they'd usually resolve it in the worst ways possible (i.e., costing us extra money).

Old 08-01-2023, 12:15 PM   #12

2023 23' International
cincinnati , Ohio
Quote:
So, it turns out, if you're going somewhere for work that would be cheaper to drive versus flying, you can actually take your camper and the government will reimburse you for campground fees, dumping fees, shower fees, and a host of other potential fees that usually don't come up. I can't find the URL that gives the information, but I have it at work and will post it later.

I discovered this because I'm going to be taking a trip to North Carolina in a couple weeks for work, and most people drive due to the proximity (it's about 5 hours' drive - so it's about as fast as flying when you consider all of the overhead at the airports) and the fact that driving is cheaper.

There's a campground right in the town I'm going to, and they're open year-round.

I'm excited - I wanted to get one more trip out of the camper this year, but my vacation budget is gone, so finding this made me pretty happy. Downside: I have to actually do work while I'm there... but I can deal with that!

Not only does this save the government some money, it also saves me money and aggravation - I won't have to kennel my cat (an unreimbursed expense) and instead can take him with me.
would you happen to have that link for US employees? Thanks
Rosie223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 12:29 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie223 View Post
would you happen to have that link for US employees? Thanks

Hi Rosie,

Just a heads up, this thread was from 2008, so usually, it's possible someone wouldn't still be around to respond. (Skater's not been on the site for over a year.)

However, reading through the thread, Skater had replied w/ it:
Quote:
FYI, this page has the rules. Section §301-11.12, part (e). (Or just search within the page for "camper".)

I'm not a federal employee, but I work for a state agency, and was doing some field work away from home. As it turned out, it was easy enough to have driven to the field sites, but I'd discussed and received permission to take my camper up and camp out near the field site, as it would have saved time and gas. (If things had been going slower, I might've needed to have actually taken the opportunity; but as it was, had good weather for field work, no hiccups, made efficient use of daylight, etc., so I wrapped up that part of the project 'too quickly' to need to camp out in the area.

Anywho, things like this often depend on your supervisor's inclination to see it work out or not. Mine, he liked the idea, as he could see using it to his advantage in the future. Another supervisor might swat the idea down and not like it, and won't sign off, even if it is 'allowable' (previous director of ours was more like that).
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
government