Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-19-2019, 02:45 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
TAMPA, FL , FL
Update on Size and Models

New Member and 1st time posting EVER..on anything! I'm figuring out some on the acronyms but I'll use sparingly so I don't sound like Archie Bunker.
Anyway, we are looking for a used A/S (got that right) that we plan on using as overflow for friends and family to use on lot next to our mountain home in NC. Eventually , we plan on building a guest house but we have not even started the plans. So, for the next 2 years the coach will remain untraveled .

We have no intention to travel in coach but I never say never...anymore!.
In 2 years or so we plan on selling coach. So I'm left with the question which size and model is best for resale? I've Made plenty of mistakes over the years and would like this one decision to not end with "honey bunny" saying " Told you!

Help!
Shortmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 03:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Airstream on lot next to home

Before you spend a dime it might be a good idea to check with local authority about placement of trailer on lot and occupancy standards. What about utilities? Water supply? Sewage dumping. Proper electrical service that is to code? The neighbors, if any, might have a say about it.

Not trying to rain on your idea but the reality today is if somebody has a problem with it, your out the investment and have to move it.

We live in western N. Carolina and keep our Airstream at our house with full hook ups. We had to get permits for the hook ups and have inspections. No one but family members can occupy the Airstream and Airbnb is strictly forbidden. Check your local zoning.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 03:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
You don't say...

Are you looking at purchasing a "new" (0-3 years old), "late model" (5+ years old), "unrestored vintage" (25+ years old - original) or "restored vintage" (25+ years old - better than new) Airstream?

Regardless, Airstreams are meant to travel - not just sit untraveled. If it's an unrestored vintage and it's already been just sitting for a number of years - what's a couple more years, I'd be more inclined to say "no problem" - it probably already needs new axles and is a candidate for a restoration in the future as much as it is now.

On the other hand, if you are looking for something with all the modern conveniences and a trendy interior, you're probably thinking new or restored vintage (whether your restore it or it's already restored). When you go to sell it, savvy buyers are going to want one that has been used regularly - especially if "new" or "late-model" because it's not going to do anybody any good to have it "under warranty" for a couple of years and never tested to take advantage of that warranty.

BTW - welcome to AirForums!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 03:56 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

As mentioned above, there likely are "issues" with doing a "tiny house" permit / regulation wise. This used to be an urban issue, now it has spread to a lot of places.

Past that, any RV you buy is likely to depreciate sitting outdoors for a couple of years. Older units will depreciate less, they also are more likely to require work to get them up to full function.

Even with a "full function" RV there are some issues. A/C is fairly common these days. Heating that works in the winter ... maybe not so much. In either winter cold or summer heat, the lack of insulation will make things expensive. Just how expensive depends a lot on just where the site is and how cool / warm you happen to like things.

My suggestion would be to go with the AS and keep it in place. Do the upgrade in two years in addition to the aluminum twinkle. That way the sunk costs in all the support spread out over a longer period of time. It also makes the purchase process easier - get something that barely makes it to the site and then fix it up.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream guesthouse

Before spending $$$$, check with the local authority about rules regarding trailers on lots used as guesthouses'

Not to rain on your idea, but what about proper water, sewer, and electric that meet codes for safety and compliance with zoning? Also, the neighbors, if any, might want a say about this set up.

We live in western N. Carolina in a rural neighborhood type of setting. No HOA, individual single family homes on large lots. I had to get permits and inspections to install full hook ups for our Airstream to keep it at our house. Family members only can use and strict no Airbnb.

Check first.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Do you have winter? Most trailers can be freeze problems when not heated and energy hungry when heated.

"Coach" are we talking motor home, travel trailer, etc. ? ?
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 06:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Winter in N. Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overstreet View Post
Do you have winter? Most trailers can be freeze problems when not heated and energy hungry when heated.

"Coach" are we talking motor home, travel trailer, etc. ? ?
I can attest to the fact that it gets cold and snows deeply in western N. Carolina. Moved here 5 years ago after living in Naples, Fl. for 13 years. After two N. Carolina winters we now spend the winter months at Land Yacht Harbor in Melbourne, Fl.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
If you are not going to travel with it I would get as big of one as possible. The most popular are probably 25 to 30’ AS’s. We like the 28’ because the layout has a nice lounging area, but that’s us. But if you are already buying used I don’t think it really matters on resale if it is well cared for. You’ll have that thing sold within weeks you put it on the market. Just remember to take care of the tires.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:33 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Green Valley Lake , California
Def as long as you can find. I lived in a 31' Sovereign they had been gutted and interior redone. You'd be surprised how much room you have when you dispense with unnecessary items.
If you don't mind a lil custom work (elbow grease) you can find a fixer really cheap. If it's not a roller then you let all manner of faults slide
The other comments about regs in your area need to be addressed, also.
I'm pretty sure W NC winters were comparable to my location at 3k' elev with snow, many ways to deal with that.
I found my mountain hideout to be just fine :-)
SouthForkAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:29 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Looks like you have two "first posts"...maybe a moderator can merge them.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:51 AM   #11

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
Looks like you have two "first posts"...maybe a moderator can merge them.

Shari
Done! Thanks Shari.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 12:57 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
TAMPA, FL , FL
All good advice.
No deed restrictions..check
Bought property with well and septic already installed..check
Didn't think about AirBnb..thanks
We enjoy a good relationship with our NC neighbors but you never know.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:05 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
TAMPA, FL , FL
We winterize the cottage when we leave after Thanksgiving..Winterizing the trailer ? Just draining water?
Old 07-20-2019, 01:08 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
TAMPA, FL , FL
Actually thought about removing the tires and store in Garage. Trailer would be leveled on jacks and blocks.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:10 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
TAMPA, FL , FL
Yea..i know. 1st timers!
Old 07-21-2019, 05:44 AM   #16
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If the trailer will never roll again, you can get pretty aggressive about how you set block it up for use as a tiny house. If it's going to roll, you have a very limited number of ways to stabilize it. In a "two years" scenario, I'd leave the tires on and (likely) get new ones before you re-sell it. Stabalize with the normal stabilizers and that's it. The jack points are not something I would go with for long term ( = 2 year ) support without something going a bit "off".

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:35 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortmoney View Post
New Member and 1st time posting EVER..on anything! I'm figuring out some on the acronyms but I'll use sparingly so I don't sound like Archie Bunker.
Anyway, we are looking for a used A/S (got that right) that we plan on using as overflow for friends and family to use on lot next to our mountain home in NC. Eventually , we plan on building a guest house but we have not even started the plans. So, for the next 2 years the coach will remain untraveled .

We have no intention to travel in coach but I never say never...anymore!.
In 2 years or so we plan on selling coach. So I'm left with the question which size and model is best for resale? I've Made plenty of mistakes over the years and would like this one decision to not end with "honey bunny" saying " Told you!

Help!
Over the years we have used other RVs as room additions, and now we use our trailer as an overflow zone. Our trailer sees constant use. There is beer in the fridge, two TVs, WiFi, extra kitchen, bathroom etc. When guests come over we prefer to let them stay in the big house and we stay in the trailer.

So it depends on your budget, but I say be patient and get a good used 30 footer with TWO ACs and have it always maintained and ready to roll. If it can't be towed then it will be really difficult to sell.

Lots of trees in NC so let it live in a nice shady, mud free , level spot.
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote