Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2020, 08:05 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1993 25' Excella
Flagler Beach , Florida
be safe and enjoy.....
AFTER TAXES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:33 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
I was solo for most of my trip back from Alaska last year and have done one solo trip this year, though nowhere near as long. I didn’t want to have an itinerary, but I also did not want to be scrambling. So here’s what I did:
  • The night before departing a place, I’d decide a route (more or less) and an area or radius within which I’d possibly be setting up for the night. This is easy to do when traveling by yourself, I’d usually do it during dinner.
  • I’d put in a single note on my phone or iPad the names of some campgrounds in that radius and their phone numbers. If I knew I wanted to stay somewhere (sometimes the campground was the destination), I’d just call and reserve a spot. I used Allstays and RVTripWizard a lot.
  • At lunch the next day (usually stopped in the Airstream), I’d have a pretty good sense of how much I’d want to travel. I’d make the calls at that point and find a place.
  • The other question I’d ask is how likely it is they’d be full, and if the area I was traveling to had plenty of options, I’d keep it open (but note the campground office closing time).
  • Lather, rinse, repeat for every stop. Everything worked out with only one exception, for which I stayed in a Cracker Barrel parking lot (so it did work out).

During this pandemic, I’d probably line things up for sure the night before or morning of and wander less. I’d also ask what the check-in procedure was and what COVID precautions they were taking (ideally no-contact).

I agree with the “don’t overthink it” advise. Come up with a routine that works for you and whatever makes you feel comfortable.
Old 09-07-2020, 06:37 AM   #23
Luminous

1983 27' Excella
Vesuvius , Virginia
All the navigation apps mentioned here are good choices, especially for planning. But while en route I prefer ones with near real time traffic information.
LY007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:09 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
sms - I travel alone as well and I think you will find your courage expanding exponentially with every season of camping because you'll be learning as you go, every minute of every day. Once you get on the road, it will never be as bad as you had feared, it will be amazing and produce a treasure trove of memories you will never forget. One of the many lessons learned on my first long trip (4 months) was I didn't want to drive more than 200 miles a day; that state and local roads were far more relaxing to drive than on the interstate; and that there is such a thing as over-planning. Turn in when you're tired or stay in place and relax a day longer. I use Walmarts only when I have to and I never call ahead. I park in the farthest reaches of their parking lot where it's most level and buy what I need in their store. No one has ever come out and told me to move. I use my truck's GPS but always have the atlas open to the state I'm traveling through as I need the perspective. I also carry maps that show separate regions of the country, also for perspective. Don't forget state park options (which always seem to have availability Mon-Thursday) and Corps of Engineering campgrounds which are marvelous. BTW - Airstream has started up a new FB group for solo travelers you might want to join. This forum is also a great resource to use on the road for quick response. Consider becoming a member of the Airstream Club International, figure out which region you're in and go to a rally or two. You will meet welcoming fellow-Airstreamers who want you to be happy and successful on the road.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:52 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Elbert , CO
Keep track of your overall/average speed. While you may normally travel 60 mph, after you factor in stops for gas, stretching, emptying dogs, taking in a scenic overlook, etc, etc, your overall speed drops fast. When we had a Class C, we would travel at around 65 - 70mph and our overall speed was about 50. Now that we have an Airstream, we typically cruise at about 60 and our overall speed is around 45 mph. Since I try to limit a day of driving to six hours or less, I now know we can comfortably plan on 250 miles/day.

You will not know this information on your first trip, but it is extremely valuable information on future trips when you need to know how far you will likely get in a day's travel.
djb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 09:13 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I just have to ask...however do you empty a dog???

My Lily would be quite upset if I took hold of her front legs so as to empty her out the back.

This gave me serious giggles, and it is good to giggle these days.

Maggie
Old 09-07-2020, 09:22 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Elbert , CO
I find that pointing the blunt end out the door and giving them a good squeeze works pretty well. Much like playing bagpipes!
djb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 09:59 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
We pass our four relatively little dogs out the sliding panel thing opening in the screen door. Wife stays inside putting on harnesses and leashes, I stay outside walking them.

The dogs think this is normal operations, and patiently wait their turn in pack precedence order. It’s kind of funny to watch each dog duck his head and ‘skinny down’ to fit in the opening.

The 22 pound Tibetan Terrier has to scrunch a bit more to get in and out, but he’s always happy to go for a walk when we are on the road.

They seem to think the Airstream is just a big silver doghouse.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 02:28 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
Henderson , Kentucky
First long trip

We have discovered the world of Cracker Barrel camping on several of our long trips. You can pull into the RV area on their back parking lot and don't even have to unhitch! Before Covid, we used to go inside for a meal-now on our next trip to the 30A area in northwestern Florida, we will get carryout, take it back to our Airstream and eat!

Never have stayed at a Walmart, but I have heard that several Walmarts are forbidding overnight stays. (Due to the volume of trash , mess,etc. that some camping people have left
gail lynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 11:51 AM   #30
Trilla the Traveling Tube

2018 22' Sport
Dayton , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by smsasf View Post
John and Roberta, Thanks for all the great advice. The “trailer parks” being full is what has worried me. Of course, once I get to the west where there is much more NF and BLM compared to east of Mississippi I am ok with off grid. And Although I was planing a northern loop into the south from Cheyenne, Casper, Billings, Butte, Idaho Falls and then down I may need to reconsider my route now (I have lived in both Wyoming and Alaska but did not tow a trailer then). And I saw on MeteoEarth where St. George Utah had been 112 degF other day and many places are going from highes above 100 to 50 over a several day period. But some of those areas typically have a rebound warming period. I do believe Earth temperatures are warming, but as an Earth Scientist of 40 years who has read a great deal about Earth climate history written by eminent scholars I am less clear how much of the recent change has been caused by human activity. Certainly some, but incrementally how much??? The hail report is disconcerning. I stay paniced, unfortunately.
If you have lived in Wyoming, then you should know that you fuel up, use the rest room and grab something to snack on when you get to Cheyenne, Casper, Buffalo, Sheridan etc. as there is NOTHING in-between for the most part. So many don't realize the wide-open spaces in our state, literally wide-open spaces with no services, inhabitants (other than wildlife), etc. between communities.

Also keep in mind the time of year you are planning on being through WY....mid June through late July is "hail" season from the north east part of the state through the south east. Typically it stays on the East side of the state and not so much in the west.

Winter weather....yes, this can happen any time of year around here, have seen snow in July as well as 90 degrees in November. Not common but does happen. We just went from 88 to 28 in just under 12 hours with 5 plus inches of snow expected by tomorrow.

Here is a copy of the Wyoming Map from the Office of Tourism for you.

Happy travels!
kpfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 11:55 AM   #31

2018 22' Sport
Dayton , Wyoming
Let's try this again....here is the WY Map in a jpeg format
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WY Map.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	289.8 KB
ID:	378018  
Old 09-08-2020, 02:34 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Clayton , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpfate View Post
If you have lived in Wyoming, then you should know that you fuel up, use the rest room and grab something to snack on when you get to Cheyenne, Casper, Buffalo, Sheridan etc. as there is NOTHING in-between for the most part. So many don't realize the wide-open spaces in our state, literally wide-open spaces with no services, inhabitants (other than wildlife), etc. between communities.

Also keep in mind the time of year you are planning on being through WY....mid June through late July is "hail" season from the north east part of the state through the south east. Typically it stays on the East side of the state and not so much in the west.

Winter weather....yes, this can happen any time of year around here, have seen snow in July as well as 90 degrees in November. Not common but does happen. We just went from 88 to 28 in just under 12 hours with 5 plus inches of snow expected by tomorrow.

Here is a copy of the Wyoming Map from the Office of Tourism for you.

Happy travels!
kpfate, thanks. Yes, I know, open spaces, lots of antelope and no people. The Cowboy State, my kinda place. Lived in Cheyenne when in USAF and remember when we could not see the front of the house due to snow drift. And travelled back there many times from VA, CA over the years. I even remember when Jackson was a sleepy cowboy kinda town. Have experienced 75 degree temps one day on the Sweetwater River and snow the next day. Don’t remember th hail. But am watching your weather. Had hoped to make Cheyenne my first multiday stop as I travel. might need to reconsider if the forecast does not show a warming window to scoot through the region before I head south. I have a list of miles between cities and town and my expected fuel consumption. Once out that way I will also be carrying two 5 gallon Justrite Safety Cans of gasoline in the truck bed. Thanks for the map.
smsasf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 07:34 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
west plains , Missouri
Here’s a trick we have learned in many trips: most private RV parks have an “overflow” area, usually dry camping, for parking, storing, or the like. Second tip: check with the local sheriff or police department for a suggestion...they often will let you overnight park at their facilities. Third: call the local church of your choice and ask to park there overnight.
rjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:10 AM   #34

2018 22' Sport
Dayton , Wyoming
Quote:
kpfate, thanks. Yes, I know, open spaces, lots of antelope and no people. The Cowboy State, my kinda place. Lived in Cheyenne when in USAF and remember when we could not see the front of the house due to snow drift. And travelled back there many times from VA, CA over the years. I even remember when Jackson was a sleepy cowboy kinda town. Have experienced 75 degree temps one day on the Sweetwater River and snow the next day. Don’t remember th hail. But am watching your weather. Had hoped to make Cheyenne my first multiday stop as I travel. might need to reconsider if the forecast does not show a warming window to scoot through the region before I head south. I have a list of miles between cities and town and my expected fuel consumption. Once out that way I will also be carrying two 5 gallon Justrite Safety Cans of gasoline in the truck bed. Thanks for the map.
When were you stationed at FEW? My father first brought us here in 70/71 when he was Chief of Safety at FEW. We left in 73 and went back to OAFB in Nebraska, then came back to Cheyenne in 75 when he retired.

After a few years in Rock Springs, my husband and I came back to Cheyenne in 87 and have been here since.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:46 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Clayton , North Carolina
Quote:
When were you stationed at FEW? My father first brought us here in 70/71 when he was Chief of Safety at FEW. We left in 73 and went back to OAFB in Nebraska, then came back to Cheyenne in 75 when he retired.

After a few years in Rock Springs, my husband and I came back to Cheyenne in 87 and have been here since.
Was at FEW 72, 73, 74. Completed my enlistment in December 1974 and moved back to home state of VA to attend college. Enlisted December 1970. USAF sent me Army Engineering School at Ft.Belvoir, VA. After completing the Topographic Surveyor School I was initially station at Whiteman AFB in “Knob Noster”, MO as an Astro-Geodetic Surveyor. We did coordinates (X,Y) verification on the Minuteman Missles before DOD released Global Positioning System to the world and before there were Garmins. Had to work at night and use Polaris, the North Star, for part of our azimuth determination because heat waves during day made accurate ground target acquisition difficult. Geodetic Survey Squadron HQ was at FEW and in late 1971 some of the Detachments, like Whiteman, were closed and we were moved to Cheyenne. My daughter was borne there in 1972. Wyoming is certainly my most favorite state. Have considered moving there a number of times. I like watching antelope🙂
Old 09-10-2020, 07:41 AM   #36

2018 22' Sport
Dayton , Wyoming
Quote:
Was at FEW 72, 73, 74. Completed my enlistment in December 1974 and moved back to home state of VA to attend college. Enlisted December 1970. USAF sent me Army Engineering School at Ft.Belvoir, VA. After completing the Topographic Surveyor School I was initially station at Whiteman AFB in “Knob Noster”, MO as an Astro-Geodetic Surveyor. We did coordinates (X,Y) verification on the Minuteman Missles before DOD released Global Positioning System to the world and before there were Garmins. Had to work at night and use Polaris, the North Star, for part of our azimuth determination because heat waves during day made accurate ground target acquisition difficult. Geodetic Survey Squadron HQ was at FEW and in late 1971 some of the Detachments, like Whiteman, were closed and we were moved to Cheyenne. My daughter was borne there in 1972. Wyoming is certainly my most favorite state. Have considered moving there a number of times. I like watching antelope🙂
Small world! I was born at Whiteman "Knob Noster" in 63'. I will throw a name out at you that maybe you might remember from your tour @ FEW: Maj. Donald "Jim" Parrish, Chief of Safety....my father and we were at FEW the same time as you! We lived in Qtrs 124-A.
Old 09-11-2020, 07:14 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Clayton , North Carolina
Quote:
Small world! I was born at Whiteman "Knob Noster" in 63'. I will throw a name out at you that maybe you might remember from your tour @ FEW: Maj. Donald "Jim" Parrish, Chief of Safety....my father and we were at FEW the same time as you! We lived in Qtrs 124-A.
Yes, small given you were born in “one flashing or stop light at the T-intersection” Knob Noster, it is a small world. Our rental “house trailer” was abosut same size as F-250’s pull down the road on vacation nowadays. No, I did not know of your father. I was a 20 year old enlisted guy (although I did make Staff Sgt by year 3.5) living off base on far east side of Cheyenne, almost on edge of prairie. And stayed on TDY travelling all over western US, living out of motels, for almost 8-9 months of the year. Interestingly also, I am in Cape Girardeau tonight and will pass through Knob Noster tomorrow. Tried to get a site at the state park but full since it is weekend. I’ll end up in Cheyenne in a several days as well, then will pull out the Ouiji Board for advice on where next.
Old 09-11-2020, 08:00 PM   #38
Furthur

2021 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Golden , Colorado
If you end up looking for a place between Cheyenne and Laramie, try Vedauwoo, right off the Interstate. Great campground with interesting rock formations. If the campground is full, there are some good boondocking sites close by as well. Well worth a stop. The weather is supposed to warm up quite a bit, so you should be fine, although it is always worth watching the weather out here.
WP53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 06:23 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Clayton , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by WP53 View Post
If you end up looking for a place between Cheyenne and Laramie, try Vedauwoo, right off the Interstate. Great campground with interesting rock formations. If the campground is full, there are some good boondocking sites close by as well. Well worth a stop. The weather is supposed to warm up quite a bit, so you should be fine, although it is always worth watching the weather out here.
Thanks. I have looked at that area on various apps and Google Earth. Having lived in Cheyenne for 3 years I am very familiar with the general area around the NF and Vedauwoo. There is also the State Park camping up Happy Jack Road. I will check out Vedauwoo. Wouldn’t mind spending several days there. Is there a Park Service staff there at entrance? And if so can they tell you about dispersed areas?
Old 09-12-2020, 07:58 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
What is making you nervous?

We have traveled extensively in the last two years. Two years ago, we were left for seven months, and last year we traveled for six months. I've documented those trips here in the forum.

You're not leaving the planet! You still have all the support from all of us here, just ask! You also have all the department, hardware, and RV stores across the country to purchase anything you need to keep you going.

Many people will take too much "stuff" when they leave on such a long trip, thinking they would like that blender for making cocktails along the way. Please don't do it. On our first long trip, we took everything (including the blender) we thought we would need. We packed 700 lbs. of "stuff"! When the trip was over, we went through all the stuff we did not use and removed it. It encompassed 1/3 the weight of everything we took. If you think you're going to need that blender, buy one along the way. We never used ours!

We also buy things we need for the trailer and keep them in the trailer. Pots, pans, coffee maker, ice maker, some are all duplicated to what we have in the house. You leave it all in the trailer. It makes for a fast getaway when you need to spend a weekend or week away from home. That goes for tools, hoses, cell phone chargers, bowls, plates, silver wear, chairs, and even canned goods. Do not leave open food in your trailer or cardboard containers like cereals for apparent reasons.

Don't sweat the pre-load packing. Walmart's are everywhere these days. Just wear a mask!

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote