Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2011, 08:39 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Exclamation Unexpected Danger on the Road

While returning from a short local trip on Saturday without our Airstream, we observed something that could proven to be quite a danger. We were traveling on Interstate 57 near Goreville, Illinois at about 11:00 PM running at the speed limit (65 MPH) when a semi barrelled by at close to 80 MPH. The semi pulled back into the lane in which we were traveling about 5 car lengths ahead of us (we were separated by a small compact car). Almost as soon as the semi pulled into our lane, six high-powered white lights illuminated on the back of the truck - - the truck slowed slightly being sure that the lights were nearly blinding the driver of the car in front of us (I am not certain, but believe that the car ahead of us had its high beams illuminated, we were running with low beams). The semi finally turned the lights off and sped up after about 3 miles of this treatment.

I am hoping that this isn't an example of new hazards on the highway.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hi Kevin. I've seen this behavior from semi drivers too. My previous highly touted tow vehicle seemed to settle at the rear when hitched up and I never found a good adjustment on my Reese to prevent this. Thus even the low beams aimed higher than they should have. I got flashed with some regularity. A semi pulling a flatbed passed me near Charles City, IA, and flashed me with his very bright rear-facing loading lights. It was quite a shock and I believe he didn't show any concern about the impact of such sudden, blinding light.

My feeling about the 'two second rule' is triple it and still keep a wary eye out. Thanks for bringing this up.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:11 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Tyler , Texas
That's why "I wear my sunglasses at night"
Old 07-07-2011, 06:18 PM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
"this is MY road and you can't have any!!!"
Old 07-07-2011, 06:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
One cool feature of the Tundra (ours is a 2010 Crew Cab) with the tow package is a little dial that allows you to adjust headlights up or down from the cab. Thus when the rear end settles a bit, I can spin that dial and point the headlamps back down to a safe zone. Funny thing is I had no idea the truck had that feature when I bought it. Thought at first it was the interior dash dim feature, but noticed I already had one of those...

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:32 PM   #6
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Hmm...so do we retaliate with a roll bar loaded up with Baja 500 special off road lights lined up to shine down the sides of 18 wheelers into the truck mirrors? Shouldnt be too hard to set that up. Roll bars are handy for hauling long things like ladders in the bed, anyhow.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
Hmm...so do we retaliate with a roll bar loaded up with Baja 500 special off road lights lined up to shine down the sides of 18 wheelers into the truck mirrors? Shouldnt be too hard to set that up. Roll bars are handy for hauling long things like ladders in the bed, anyhow.
Nahhhh!!! Forward facing BB guns should do the trick on the lights
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:04 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Twin .50s? oh wait, we're supposed to Drive Friendly down here in the Lone Star state.
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I'm sure its illegal to show 'white' lights rearward when moving 'forward' on the road, probably in all states...

If possible, once I got my vision back, I'd record the Lic #, trailer #, location, speed, etc., and file a complaint with the hauler's company and maybe the state's highway patrol...

There's no place for that kind of unprofessional-ism on our highways! Just because truckers earn their living using the highways, doesn't mean they 'own' em' - the rest of us pay a bunch of $'s for the privilege of using em' too!
Old 07-07-2011, 08:40 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Sudbury , Ontario
The truckers drive on all of our $$ too. That's one of the reasons truck freight can compete with rail - we all pay to maintain the highways, but only the railroads pay to maintain the tracks, so the truckers get a bit of a free ride.
The trucker who is blinding the car behind him likely owes his job to the guy who is squinting into his "back-up lights".
Show a bit of courtesy out there, folks!
Alumination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:11 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Most truckers are good guys. If they flash their loading lights they are telling you that your head lights are aimed too high or you have your bright lights on and that your lights in their mirrors are as irritating to them as are their loading lights to you. I've never had a trucker flash me unless I forgot to dim my high beams.

Additionally, whenever a semi passes me, day or night, I will flash my high beams at them when their trailer has cleared the front of my tow vehicle to let them know that it is OK to pull in front of me. This is especially courteous when there is a line of cars behind the semi and the driver wants to pull in front of me ASAP to allow the cars to pass. Most truckers appreciate this and will flash their running lights after they pull in front me to signal “thank you”.
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:02 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
To 'signal' a trucker that it's safe to merge back into my lane, I use the old method of momentarily switching my headlights OFF - to the parking light position - then back ON, I usually repeat this at least once more...

This method avoids having to flash your high beams into the trucker's mirrors, with the possibility of that 'blinding' beam...

I will use the high beam 'flash' during daylight hours for this same merging 'signal', as the intensity is far less harsh at this time...

Be safe out there...
Old 07-08-2011, 04:57 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
What withidi said. As a retired truck driver with almost 3,000,000 miles, thanks. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:36 AM   #14
one of those

2011 27 FB International
"If they flash their loading lights they are telling you ..."

sorry, but I don't agree. If they flash their loading lights they are momentarily blinding you. I don't listen very well to whatever someone who is trying to blind me is trying to tell me, I guess. I really wouldn't much appreciate having to try to hold on to the steering wheel and hope I stay on the pavement until my night vision returns.

All the trucker has to do to avoid the bright lights is lean forward until his eyes are not in the beams reflected from the side mirrors. The guy who just got a faceful of bright loading lights has no recourse. he's blinded, and all he can do is close his eyes.

I have an issue with being forced to travel down the highway at 60 or 70 mph while blinded. Any trucker who tries to tell me something by optically assaulting me should be prosecuted and not get to be a trucker anymore.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:59 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by withidl View Post
Additionally, whenever a semi passes me, day or night, I will flash my high beams at them when their trailer has cleared the front of my tow vehicle to let them know that it is OK to pull in front of me. This is especially courteous when there is a line of cars behind the semi and the driver wants to pull in front of me ASAP to allow the cars to pass. Most truckers appreciate this and will flash their running lights after they pull in front me to signal “thank you”.
I used to do this. I know how to watch so that I can signal the driver when he's checking his mirror. I can even do it with a hand-wave instead of using the lights. But then I realized that many truckers will pull in front of you when they please, whether it's safe or not. Since I can't stop the ones that are going to pull in too soon, I decided to stop signaling (actually I still do it in very limited circumstances, but not like I used to).

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:22 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
A quick flash of the lights from oncoming traffic is a universal and friendly message telling you there is something going on that you might want to pay attention to: could mean you've got your high beams on, could be an accident up ahead, or maybe a radar trap is set-up ahead.

Same flash from trailing traffic also tells the passing trucker its safe to pull in. Another friendly message.

Turning on blinding lights, and leaving them on, in the fashion described here is a heck of a different story - that guy was having a temper tantrum - sending a vindictive message that endangered the lives of others - unfortunately he is one trucker not up to the professional driving standards possessed by most of the industry.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:33 AM   #17
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJay View Post
A quick flash of the lights from oncoming traffic is a universal and friendly message telling you there is something going on that you might want to pay attention to: could mean you've got your high beams on, could be an accident up ahead, or maybe a radar trap is set-up ahead.

Same flash from trailing traffic also tells the passing trucker its safe to pull in. Another friendly message.

Turning on blinding lights, and leaving them on, in the fashion described here is a heck of a different story - that guy was having a temper tantrum - sending a vindictive message that endangered the lives of others - unfortunately he is one trucker not up to the professional driving standards possessed by most of the industry.

Jay
well said.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:24 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by casa3805 View Post
One cool feature of the Tundra (ours is a 2010 Crew Cab) with the tow package is a little dial that allows you to adjust headlights up or down from the cab. Thus when the rear end settles a bit, I can spin that dial and point the headlamps back down to a safe zone. Funny thing is I had no idea the truck had that feature when I bought it. Thought at first it was the interior dash dim feature, but noticed I already had one of those...
There isn't a car or truck made that doesn't have provisions to adjust the headlight beams. Nice that you can do it from the cab, I use a phillips head screwdriver. Too bad other TV owners aren't aware that it only takes a minute to adjust the beams when towing and return them to the stock settings when driving solo.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:29 AM   #19
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
You shouldn't have to do anything with the headlamps if the WD is adjusted properly.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:39 AM   #20
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
You shouldn't have to do anything with the headlamps if the WD is adjusted properly.

I was thinking the same thing. The tow vehicle should end up basically level, same as when it's unhitched, correct?